FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So what do you do in a hit and run?

Author Topic: So what do you do in a hit and run?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

So some jerk was tailgating me as I slowed for a red light. I stop, he bumps into me. Sign on the road says "No stopping on pavement." So we couldn't stop there and get out and look. Right after the light from the lane we're in, you HAVE to merge onto the highway. We do, he's still tailgating me. I'm assuming he'll pull over into the breakdown lane when I do (was looking for a safe spot).

He speeds up, passes me, and takes off. [Mad]

...I got his plate number.

I get off the highway, stop at a gas station, inspect the damage. Appears to be light. Scratches, bent license plate. But what if it'd been worse, you know?

But I had been taught to just call the cops when it's more than $500 worth of damage. I had to see a client at 3 PM in a town 30 minutes away (this happened at 2:30). I go see the client. When I get home, I call my insurance company and ask what to do. They say that they can't run a plate check in Massachusetts (where the other driver was from) and to call the police in the town where it happened and file a report and see if they can find out the guy's insurance company.

I called the police and I got scolded. "It happened this afternoon and you're just calling NOW?"

For the love of pete, I've never BEEN in an accident and didn't KNOW what to do when the damage isn't bad and the other person TAKES OFF. And it wasn't like I could just pull over right there--I would've been ticketed and scolded for THAT.

*sigh*

Ironically, this is the town where I got my speeding ticket last month. [Roll Eyes] That'll learn me to follow the speed limit.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((mack)))))

I don't know if I would've known to call the cops for a relatively minor accident either. Hope they find this guy and he gets prosecuted for hit and run!

[ January 02, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
mack, the rule is to always stop, regardless of what the sign says. If your life is literally put in danger by staying there -- i.e., on a blind corner with fast-moving cars -- then pull over as soon as it's safe, regardless of the inconvenience for other drivers. It's nice to have a throwaway disposable camera in the glovebox to document the scene before you move, but put your safety first.

You may cause a traffic jam, but that'll just bring the cops sooner. [Smile]

Write down every detail you remember, right now, while it's still fresh. And do go through with all of the reporting -- by definition, he was at fault. That's probably why he didn't stop.

*worried look

I hope you're okay. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm fine. I filed a report with my insurance company. And I WAS in peril if I DID stop where it happened, and in the few hundred feet of merging on the highway. As I was looking for a safe spot in the breakdown lane is when he took off. [Mad]

Then I was confused about what to do. Minor accident, don't call the cops, exchange insurance info, etc. It was a minor accident, obviously. But the guy took off? Now what?

And I had an appointment to make.

THEN I called my insurance company and they told me what to do.

I hate it when cops are jerks to people who do their best but don't know exactly what to do. [Frown]

I'm not the one who took off on the person they hit!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah, mack bounces.

*relieved

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

So how do I make sure the cops don't jerk me around?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Frankness and a bit of "gee, whiz" oughta work, I think.

"Migosh, officer, I had no idea what to do. You see, I've never been in an accident. I was so startled ... uh-huh ... uh-huh ... okay, I'll be sure to do that in the future. Thanks for taking care of this for me."

I think that cops (for the most part) like to see themselves as doing good in the world. Whether this actually plays out as intended depends on context and circumstance, as well as the individuals involved. But in this case, I'd toss them the bone of gratitude and highlight your own innocence.

Who knows, ther's a chance that you're dealing with a really decent guy who's scared to think about what might have happened to you. [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

Considering I got carded for buying a rated R DVD on my way home today, I think I convey the "gee whiz" innocence of a young female. [Wink]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Big Grin]

I can see it. But you'll always be Joan of Arc to me.

mackillian
Member # 586

Do I get a sword?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but it's made of plastic.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

That way, it'll hurt more.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The other driver is from Mass???

If that is true, he (or she) is in serious trouble once your complaint reaches the Registry of Motor Vehicles. They are the one state where the state system and the insurance database are one and the same. AND, to top it off, they record accident involvement on the driver history. Many states don't do that.

It will be a very rotten day for this person when the next insurance rate assignment is made -- assuming the police follow up on the thing. They may decide to blow it off because of the time lag for your reportint it. But the truth is that in Massachusetts, the driver report of a crash is taken very seriously. And if one driver reports and the other doesn't, it usually goes very badly for the one who failed to report it.

If this crash happened in MA, my advice is to call the registry of Motor Vehicles there and ask them the proper procedure. They'll be only too happy to forward you the proper form or direct you the online version.

If this is a MA driver in a different state, I would still call the Registry and ask them what to do. They may be able to help.

If the local cops aren't responsive, call the State Highway Patrol to make your complaint. You were close enough to being on the highway. They may take the records for you.

Most jurisdictions do take hit and run very seriously. They maybe ticked off at you for waiting to report it, but I'm betting they still follow up.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how the police could refuse to help. [Dont Know] Calling a few hours late seems pretty minor. What would they do differently if you had called sooner anyway? I wonder if the other driver even has insurance. Or an active driver's license. Maybe that is why he took off.

Did you take pictures of the car damage yet?

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you have had a time of it. I'm glad you got the license number.

Do you think most people who are already jerks become bigger ones around the holidays?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So what do you do in a hit and run?
Well, step one is getting rid of your license plate . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist. [Evil Laugh]

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, mac. You have the worst luck with cars.

Let us know how things work out. You could always publish the license plate and let the agents of Hatrack take revenge for you... [Big Grin]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an idea, Sue the idiot who called the police truck on you the other day, and claim the scratches and such as damages.

Or not, since that would be illegal and immoral.

But it would be fun.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
((Mack))

It seems like we trade off having bad car stories. On Saturday we were driving back from Ohio and tried to refill my washer fluid at a gas station on the way. Couldn't get the hood open There was no tension on the handle that you pull from the inside. Thought that the cable to the latch had broken. And no washer fluid. In snowy conditions that is downright dangerous!

Now I KNOW I wasn't the last person under that hood. The last person was the Sam's Club technician that installed my battery. So I went to Sam's last night to see if they could do anything. They couldn't, but I talked to the manager and he said to take it to a repair shop and to bring them the reciept.

Fortunately I have a friend in charge of a parts department at a Chrysler dealership. He said it might run $200 in labor and parts but that they could evaluated first. I just took it there on my lunch break. He had a guy look at it, and apparently the latch was just stuck, not broken! And no charge! I'm very happy and just filled up the thirsty thing with washer fluid! Now all I need is gas on the way home <grin>

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hit last night on the freeway, and the car drove off. I got the licence plate number, but the officer that came said they couldn't do anything about it. If someone doesn't stop, you just swallow it.

I couldn't believe it. Not that someone wouldn't care enough to stop, but that the police didn't care that someone didn't care enough to stop.

J20 ZP3 Texas.

That's the licence plate. Apparently I have to track this person down and convince them to pay for new bumper MYSELF. Not that I'm optimistic; the driver was driving (drum roll please as Katie uses her new word) a hoopty.

[ January 06, 2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Hit and run is generally a misdemeanor and the police ARE supposed to run the plate. Have you talked to your insurance company yet? They can tell you what to do.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Police lie about their required involvement all the time. Like when my sister's ex was trying to convince her to let him into her dad's house by saying he had a knife, the police claimed they can't arrest a guy on a first call.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've had four accidents since I started driving this car two and a half years ago (can you tell I hate driving?), including two in the last year. I'm afraid to report this to my insurance company. Considering that, plus my three tickets over the summer, I'm dreading the next renewal cycle.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.