FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nick Drake, anyone?

Author Topic: Nick Drake, anyone?
stone_maiden
Member # 4071

- posted      Profile for stone_maiden   Email stone_maiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm somewhat of a nerd/geek/fanatic/whatever-you-want-to-call-me on him, but, um...yeah. I'd love to discuss his life and music.

Any takers?

Posts: 40 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about the guy.

Didn't he die young and unappreciated, only to become relatively famous (because of a car commercial) some 20 years after his death?

I looked into some of his music a few years ago, and wasn't really impressed.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
He was interesting. Had his own guitar style, so unique no one can figure out his tunings.
And yet, on some of his earlier albums he sounded unnessasarily over-produced in my opinion. Talents like that don't need ooo ooo ooo girls.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded paper moon after that commercial came out. I still listen to the song once in a while, but i never bothered checking anything else out by him.

It's a really nice song, but isn't it about suicide or something like that? and isn't that what he ended up doing to himself?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I think it's called pink moon.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick Drake did not commit suicide. He took the wrong pills in his mother's cabinet, and many thought it was suicide, but it was a terrible accident.

If he had survived this event, though, I am sure he would have committed suicide.

He was a brilliant musician born in the wrong time, and, as someone mentioned, very underappreciated. His music is lilting and dreamlike, and though it is depressing, I feel uplifted after I listen to him.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Correction:
Officially, Nick Drake's death was ruled a suicide by the coroner, but if you hear the full story, it really seems that he took one too many sleeping pills. He was depressed, and had insomnia. I still believe that it was an accident. If you read the mom's story, it really seems that way.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tealeafer/biography.html

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.