FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The "Interesting, Space Related News" Thread
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
who are the figures most responsible for nasa's budgetary situation, anyway?

whoever they are, i feel they need extra villainization.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congress and the sequester, mostly. I don't know if it's possible to villianize them any more.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
That's quitter talk.

YOU KILLED THE SPACE DREAMS OF ENTIRE GENERATIONS, YOU BASTARDS.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Guys (and gals), I strongly advise you guys to write your congress rep about NASA's potential shutdown.

Go to this link and click on Write to Congress. It's very easy and it automatically fills in a default letter for you. All you have to do is fill in your info and hit Send. It only takes like 60 seconds.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Murray-Ryan just announced a budget deal in the last couple days that takes away a lot of the pain from the sequester. Any idea how that affects NASA funding? And how much of this is a problem with NASA funding vs. structure?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure. There's certainly no happy chatter under the #PSDRandA hashtag on Twitter, which is what the planetary scientists have been using to complain about this.

It's not the missions that are getting cut, but the scientists who actually learn things from the missions years after the data gets sent down.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
China has successfully landed an unmanned craft carrying a robot rover on the surface of the moon.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is good news, America only ever seems to throw money at the problem if it damages national pride.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
We now need China to confirm that evidence of an American lunar landing can be found on the moon.

Pretty please?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'ld be funnier if they played coy instead, just to further aggravate things.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Someone once pointed out that the fact that Vladamir Putin and every other Russian citizen doesn't cry foul about the moon landing every time the US is even mentioned is pretty much proof that it happened. Because seriously: if we faked it 1. the USSR/Russia would know and 2. they would not let us get away with it.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Considering NASA's planetary sciences division is about to be hacked to pieces by budget cuts, I think we're heading in the other direction from China.

Looks like we're unilaterally ending our golden age of space exploration. Time for China, India, Japan and the EU to take over and explore space beyond LEO.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
We now need China to confirm that evidence of an American lunar landing can be found on the moon.

I think you can actually ball-park this.

http://www.google.ca/moon/ has the locations of the various moon landings. Location of the landing is Mare Imbrium apparently. Can't get directions on Google Moon, but eye-balling the scale gives maybe 900km? It can do 200m/hr, so 188 days driving in a straight line?

Then Wikipedia says that the maximum travelling distance is 10km? So, nope.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little disappointed that they didn't just drop their robot right on top of the flag at Tranquility.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Pretty please?

It wouldn't make any difference. There's already conclusive proof of the moon landing. So why would the nutters care about additional proof? They believe what they want to believe.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Rosetta woke up after 31 months of being shut down and out of range for the solar panels!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2014/01/how-to-wake-up-rosetta-and-catch-a-comet/

Lots of seriously relieved people right now.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I read earlier today that NASA is hoping to test the VASIMR system as early as March this year.

If VASIMR operates as promised, it could dramatically change space travel as we know it. The operating costs for the ISS would be more than halved. A round trip to Mars would be a couple months instead of two years.

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Not news, but it's interesting and space related: If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. But is scrolls weird on chrome
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2599572/Light-Mars-Is-distant-glow-seen-Curiosity-rovers-latest-photo-proof-IS-intelligent-life-red-planet.html

Spooky

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

We discussed that one at work briefly. Curiosity has stereo cameras. Bright light only shows up one. Defect.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the KickSat burned up. From what I hear, it seems likely that the fault was due to cosmic radiation that exceeded the shielding they could afford.

They intend to kickstart another one. Hopefully that has more success. Either way, kudos to them for trying.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Russia has announced they are ending participation in the ISS 4 years early, and at that time will no longer ferry US astronauts to the ISS.

The race is on to see if NASA, Space X or others can get a Soyuz replacement into space by 2020.

Since Russia's ban on US astronauts also extends to selling Russian made engines to US companies, Space X, with their Falcon 9 engines, stands to come out as a huge winner.

Kind of a dumb decision by Russia. The US loses nothing and is forced to invest in its own domestic private space industry, likely pushing them ahead years faster than they otherwise would have

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I wouldn't say that the US loses nothing. The Atlas rocket had some Russians parts in it, and the US needed a few more to launch several planned solar system missions.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Since Russia's ban on US astronauts also extends to selling Russian made engines to US companies, Space X, with their Falcon 9 engines, stands to come out as a huge winner.

Kind of a dumb decision by Russia. The US loses nothing and is forced to invest in its own domestic private space industry, likely pushing them ahead years faster than they otherwise would have

THIS IS WHY THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER

THANK U UKRAINE YOU JUST PUT A FIRE TO THE BUTTS OF OUR SPACE INDUSTRY YESSSS

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Lyrhawn made a legitimate point*, Sam. Why are you mocking him for it?

*as did theamazeeaz

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

there is 0% mocking going on there. i am glad this happened.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
I wouldn't say that the US loses nothing. The Atlas rocket had some Russians parts in it, and the US needed a few more to launch several planned solar system missions.

ULA has engines stockpiled for two years of launches. Even if they cut them off tomorrow they'd be able to carry on for some time.

ULA has been meaning to switch over to its Delta rockets exclusively for awhile, which are entirely US-made, so this lights a fire under them as well.

Jake
Member # 206

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

Ah, okay, cool. I misread you.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

The race is on to see if NASA, Space X or others can get a Soyuz replacement into space by 2020.

My understanding was that SpaceX was pretty much ready, pending further testing and certification.

Is that not correct?

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I stand corrected on that. They've moved faster than I previously thought.

I didn't think the manned dragon capsule was intended to fly before 2018, but it looks like mid 2016 for operational NASA flights is realistic.

The manned capsule hasn't flown at all yet. It'll be a full year before they even have their first test, let alone become operational. But they're still a good two years ahead of where I thought they were.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

Ah, okay, cool. I misread you.
Like this is literally the most exciting space-related news ever because it's an incentive we can respond to productively.

I mean, look at us. Look at how critically we were defunding NASA and crippling it, punting forward on russian rockets, while spending literally trillions of dollars on a disastrous F-35 program and forcing the army to have tanks it doesn't even want.

Jake
Member # 206

Crossposted from sakeriver, but SpaceX Reveals Their Human-Rated Dragon Space Capsule
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
This could be a game changer:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-07/31/nasa-validates-impossible-space-drive

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd like to see a more extensive article on what the practical applications of this would be.

How high would it scale up? What so we imagine we'd use it for?

Wingracer
Member # 12293

Well, if you believe Woodward (who is a bit controversial) it can be scaled up enough for 1g accelerations of large spacecraft. You could get to Jupiter in 5-6 days and Proxima Centauri in just over 29 years. All without having to carry any reaction mass (propellent or fuel). You would need a LOT of electrical power but a few nuclear reactors should do the job. You would end up with a spacecraft quite similar to a nuclear sub.

That's probably still a LONG way off if this thing is even real but the fact that we now have two independent positive results (Chinese researchers and now NASA) gives us some hope.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

If this works, like really works, it's astonishing, no doubt about it
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

It should be noted that the NASA results were much weaker than the Chinese ones, but still...

If it's legit, travel in space just got a bit more practical.

Wingracer
Member # 12293

Uh oh, just read that the NASA test not only measured thrust in normal testing but the "null test" where the device was reconfigured in a way that it should not produce thrust, also showed thrust. Not a good sign.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

y'all were laughing at me when i strapped a kitchen microwave to the back of my car back in '06

ain't nobody laughing now

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

This thread needs a bump! 2015 is going to be a great year, seeing two new major, unseen objects-- Ceres and Pluto (and its 5+ moons)!
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This thread needs a bump! 2015 is going to be a great year, seeing two new major, unseen objects-- Ceres and Pluto (and its 5+ moons)!

I remember when New Horizons was launched (I was in high school) being rediculously excited about it, but thinking "man, 2015! I'm going to be an old man by the time it gets there."

Anyway, this is the last "planet" (of the 9 I grew up with anyway) to be visited, and I'm tremendously excited to see the pictures come July.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Yeah, seeing something we have very little information on what to expect is one of the biggest part of the thrill.

There are some new pics of Ceres out, and it looks like ... Ceres from HST. They've not hit their better than HST point, yet, but it's quite close.

http://www.universetoday.com/118358/first-hubble-and-now-dawn-have-seen-this-white-spot-on-ceres-what-is-it/

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-new-horizons-team-selects-potential-kuiper-belt-flyby-target

Yippee!

Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-new-horizons-team-selects-potential-kuiper-belt-flyby-target

Yippee!

I'm actually more interested in that than Pluto for some reason.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

What makes you say that?

I'd say I was more excited for the Pluto encounter than the KBO one (not that I'm not excited about the KBO encounter). They're very different. It's just that Pluto's got so much weirdness going on all in one place, plus its five friends.

[ August 29, 2015, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: theamazeeaz ]

Wingracer
Member # 12293

I don't really know why, I just am. Maybe because I've known about Pluto my whole life. I may not have known all that much about it but I knew something. KBOs on the other hand are a bit more of a mystery. Also there is the possible usefulness in future spaced based endeavors. I suspect smaller things with smaller gravity wells like asteroids and KBOs will be more useful than frozen balls of planetoids.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

Bumpity bump bump!

Hey look, they found Philae!
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/09/06/rosetta_comet_mission_lander_philae_finally_seen_in_images.html

Oooh Juno is dive bombing Jupiter!
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/jupiter-s-north-pole-unlike-anything-encountered-in-solar-system

OSIRIS-REx just launched!
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160910.html

zlogdanbr
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bumpity bump bump!

Hey look, they found Philae!
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/09/06/rosetta_comet_mission_lander_philae_finally_seen_in_images.html

Oooh Juno is dive bombing Jupiter!
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/jupiter-s-north-pole-unlike-anything-encountered-in-solar-system

OSIRIS-REx just launched!
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160910.html

Thanks for the great links man!

I used to have my favorites Astronomy pic of the day as background of my computers at work long before someone in the Corporate world decided that was a bad idea and forced people to use companies logos ;-)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.