FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sharing Bodily Fluids (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sharing Bodily Fluids
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for the PSA, but I'd like to pass along a little reminder.

There's a blood and platelet shortage in my area, and I just got recruited for a blood drive on Sunday.

There's a good chance that blood supplies are low in your neck of the woods as well, as this happens most years right after the holidays.

If you are eligible to give blood, and can possibly find the time to do so, sign up NOW! It's one of the easiest ways you will ever save a life. Your local hospital or blood bank, the Red Cross, some other certified vampire -- wherever, just give 'em a pint!

And the juice and cookies are often pretty good. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you have a history of turning green 5-10 minutes after you're done they give you soda while you're donating!

(Thanks rivka, the local Kiwanis blood drive is next week and I keep forgetting to call and make my appointment.)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's wierd? You can't donate blood in the U.S. if you spend more than 6 months (or something like that) in Europe. Very wierd.

That's bad because I'm thinking about going to Africa sometime in the next few years. I should sign up to become vampirized (not to be confused with vaporized) soon.

[ January 06, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay -- just a question

(before you flame me -- realize that I DO donate blood regularly -- when my iron count is high enough)

I've always wondered about this -- we "donate" our blood to the Red Cross. However, then the Red Cross sells the blood to the hospitals, who in turn charge patients for transfusions....

So how come everyone profits except the donor?

Why can't we receive blood for free if we are a regular donor? (I know you can donate in someone's name, but that doesn't necessarily make it free for them)....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

There are states in which you get blood free if you are a regular donor. Otherwise, the fee covers the costs of collecting, storing, and distributing the blood.

Also the juice and cookies.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And I believe there are (maybe only in some states?) places that will pay you to give blood, neh?

But hey, I'm in it for the cookies and juice. And I think my local hospital still gives donors a free movie pass. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka-thank you so much for starting a thread like this one. I used to work for the Red Cross (I got to take the blood, very cool job, btw) and they are ALWAYS in need of blood. Each of the three components that make up your blood (whole blood, plasma, and platlets) has a specfic shelf life, which isn't very long. The Red Cross is a non-profit organization that does require payment to cover to costs of paying people like me to draw, the COUNTLESS tests that have to be performed and to pay the rest of all the people who play a part in getting that pint of blood to a patient.

One thing that everyone needs to know, is that the places that give you money in return for your blood, they are NOT going to give that blood to a patient in need, at least not directly. That blood is used in medical research and is given to companies to use to test drugs and what not.

And I know I speak for all the Red Cross techs out there when I say, please do us all a favor and be sure to eat before you donate. Doing so will save you a headache, literally. Also, please answer the questions they ask you as honestly as possible. If you forget to tell them you live a high risk life (drug user etc.) then you are endangering the lives of the people who may get your blood.

If you can spare about 1 1/2 hours out your day to give blood then you are truely an angel! [Wink]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I think more places pay you to donate plasma than blood.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
WheatPuppet: lingering concern about mad cow disease (something like 150 deaths worldwide, and ~120 of those from western europe)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, upsetting. [Frown] My cough won't go away, and I've been wanting to give blood for a while. They called my house a few months ago and asked me to, but I was waiting to see if I had mono.

I could use some free cookies.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I donated blood for Red Cross -- I sat there and squeezed that ball and pumped blood into that plastic bag for what seemed like FOREVER -- and then the nurse came over and said, "well, you didn't fill the bag within the allotted time needed," and promptly threw my bag of blood in the trash! I was mortified. I mean, I realize they have protocols and rules, etc., and since I have very low blood pressure, etc., my blood pumps out very slowly, but she threw away perfectly good blood! I worked hard to make that blood! [Wink]

They, of course, told me to DRINK lots more before giving again. I have always tried to do that -- increase fluids to increase blood volume, but that just makes me need to go pee in the middle of it all.... And oftentimes still isn't enough to make me pass muster.

So those of you who are heading out to donate -- DRINK WATER! Lots of it!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

They very nearly did that to me, as well...and then the nurse had to keep coming over and moving the needle around in my vein. Oh, the pain.

Don't they only give you like thirty minutes to fill up the bag?

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Yes, Farmgirl, I'm sorry to say that at times it is necessary to toss the blood when it doesn't fill the bag fast enough. There are many reasons why your bag didnt't fill. You not drinking enough fluids or having a low blood pressure, but more often than not, it is the techs who may have done a bad stick or your vein may have rolled or collapsed...a million different possible reasons...that nurse gave you good advice but even she didn't know for sure what caused the problem. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
During Highschool, my friend and I were able to donate twice, so we decided to race to see who could fill the bag up first. I am proud to say that I won both times.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, they tend to have trouble popping a vein on me, so I often end up with a colorful arm the next day. [Big Grin] But once they jab me successfully, I usually have that sucker full pretty quickly.

Then again, the only time I ever tried to donate to the Red Cross I had an awful experience. (I'm sure this is the exception, but it almost kept me from ever donating again.) But Cedars (a local hospital) had WONDERFUL people working the blood donor facility, and I've never had a bad experience there. [Smile]

dkw
Member # 3264

Thirty minutes! I think it takes me about five.

Last time I donated there were these two really big guys right in front of me who were going to race. They insisted that they be hooked up at exactly the same time and they squeezed the rubber balls like mad. I started the paperwork after they were both hooked up, didn’t squeeze the thing at all, and my bag was full before either of them were even half-way. The looks on their faces were somewhat amusing.

That’s probably why I turn green 5-10 minutes later, though.

pH
Member # 1350

Pfft. I _barely_ finished in thirty minutes. Actually, I went to the doctor once and couldn't even fill up two vials for blood testing. I just...stopped bleeding altogether.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

pH, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your blood was thrown out too. We also sometimes let people finish but end up tossing it if it's over 10-13 minutes.
pH
Member # 1350

Well, crap. I guess I just hafta keep my blood in my veins, then. [Razz]

I wonder if exercising beforehand or something would help.

[ January 06, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

Valentine014
Member # 5981

But, hey! Think of it this way: if you are ever seriously injured, like in a car accident or something, you won't lose that much blood!
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Knock on wood.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Whereas when I get dry skin my hands bleed.

I hate to think what would happen if I were in a major accident.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

Exercise? Regular exercise always helps, but right before you donate? Probably won't make much of a difference. It's not a big deal, not everyone was meant to donate. Take me for example. I'm a fainter. Yep. My body doesn't handle the fluid imbalance of it.

But you can still help! Go be a cookie girl! Organize a blood draw at your work, it's easier than you think!

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds rivka's PSA*

If you have a rare blood type, all the more reason to donate. My husband donated on a lark, and discovered that he has a rare blood type. Now he donates every other month, or however long it is before you can donate again.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

D-hope you don't have a rare blood type. Yikes!
pH
Member # 1350

I didn't get sick or anything from donating, so I wish I could. Stupid low blood pressure...

What are the restrictions they put on medications you can be taking and things?

[ January 06, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: pH ]

Valentine014
Member # 5981

It really depends on the medication. Each one is evaluated during your screening questions.
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in charge of setting up the blood drives at my work. It really is pretty easy. And the blood bus comes - those things are so cool. I know not everywhere has them, but I love it.

I should probably call the blood bank and see if they need me. It's been a couple of months, and I'm supposed to be on the "Four Seasons" plan. [Smile]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I'm fairly certain that it's much less than 30 minutes, more like 15, and there's a lower end time limit too, something like 3 or 4 minutes. And I frequently approach that one. Generally the bag will fill up incredibly fast if the nurse does something bad like put the needle in an artery, in which case the blood will be bright red. It doesn't happen often, but I have heard some strange stories. They probably figure if it takes too long or short then there's more likely to be other things wrong with you and your blood than if you give within the target timeframe.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I've donated twice, and I always feel tired afterwards. I drink plenty of water and eat well beforehand. Has anyone else had this problem? It's not dizziness, just drowsiness. And is there anything I can do about it?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Shi, the experience of donating blood is different for everyone and for you, fatigue is just going to be part of it. And, to answer your question, many people feel like that after donating, myself included.

[ January 06, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the very tail end of the weight limit for blood donation (110 lbs), and I have hypoglycemia. I haven't ever tried donating blood for those reasons. Would it be wise for me to do so or not? I don't want to go into the "evil fit" I have when my blood sugar is too low, but it makes me feel guilty when everybody else is doing it. Do I have a legitimate reason to skip out? Would it be better for me to be a cookie girl or a blood pumper?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, go be a cookie girl. They certianly need some younger faces in there. I think around here every volunteer is about a hundred and six years old. Or older. Don't get me wrong, it's great that these retired folks are doing something good, but there's a serious lack of a younger generation amongst the volunteers.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
For community service credit on college applications, I volunteered at our local blood bank as one of the cookie girls during high school [Big Grin]
Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Shig, after my hubby donates, he's pretty wiped out for a day or so, energy-wise. The day of isn't too bad, but the day after is a good day to just couch-potato for a while.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
My doctor tells me that I have very large veins due to my choice of athletic activity. He recommended that I give blood. Do they just put it in those vacuum tubes? Or do they use and IV? I've never given blood before. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Do they test the blood they throw out, anyways? 'cause I know they still tested mine for HIV and whatnot...that's also how I found out my blood type.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a thrifty person, post-blood donation is a good time to go to happy hour.

BTW, I've been that I have excellent veins.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I hover on the edge of 110, sometimes below and sometimes at it. I do bleed fairly well though, judging from the times I've cut myself. I've never tried to donate because of the weight limit, should I?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I have only just become heavy enough recently. I think that would waste me, perhaps if I had time to recover....

A great thing to do however. Although I am physically challenged in the blood giving area!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, they use an IV needle that's connected to a bag which collects the blood. A pint won't fit very well in a vacuum tube.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like they could put your collection bag in a cooler or on a cool pak if you are a slow filler. Doesn't the though of donating again raise your blood pressure?

I frequently get turned away for low iron. Or at least I used to. Then I married someone who had had hepatitis, and then we went to Europe.

Say, anyone read those "4 your type" diet books? Their theory is that certain foods cause your blood cells to clump. Could be another explanation for the slow fillers.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have horrible veins. I'm extremely pale and the veins all look blue wonderfully tempting and juicy to all of the techs becuase the skin is so translucent. When I tell them they are going to have a hard time finding the vein they never believe me until three or four stabs and much fishing around later.

Every time, but once I've tried to donate blood I've gotten sick with something awful within 24 hours. I guess I really need my blood to keep my resistance up. Also after all of the IV's I've had this year in my hand, I have an interesting little lump of scar tissue. I was getting huge bruises there every time they put an IV in and getting less and less tolerant of the IV. Moving my hand on that arm would cause a burning sensation that wasn't any fun.

When they hooked an IV up to me a couple weeks ago for my minor foot surgery (wart removal) the tech saw the scar tissue on the back of my hand and went for a vein off to the side on my wrist. He was really good, only one stab though he still had to fish for a while, and for the first time ever I didn't bruise! I also bruise badly if I'm just getting a shot, even with a small gauge needle.

I doubt I qualify on the blood donor thing, but after whining so much I feel guilty. I guess I should go take the test again to see whether I would qualify.

Here's the donor criteria:
http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question for those vampires out there:

I recently had my first IV and to my dismay had a "Vegal Response" which I think is slang for passing out. How many people do the vegal-jig when you stick them

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I winced at the three vacuum tubes they had to take for pregnancy bloodwork! (And so did the nurse, I have the same problem as Banna although I also have very small veins)

I can't even look at the needle, although I was proud of myself for not fainting or feeling queasy. I'm also too light to give blood, but sadly, I think the squeamishness would prevent me.

I'm very glad there are good people like you out there donating blood, though! [Smile] Hugs for all you brave ones!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm was perusing the Red Cross site. I can donate blood since all my surgeries last year, were straight forward and not caused horrible underlying causes. I can watch them stick me with the needle and not flinch. I think it is because of all the times I've stabbed myself while quilting and needlepointing.

However on the Red Cross site this was quite interesting, regarding tissue and organ donation:
http://www.redcross.org/donate/tissue/relgstmt.html

It talks about how all the major religions are ok with organ transplants, including JWs as long as the organ has been drained of the previous owner's blood. The only ones that are anti- are gypsies due to afterlife beliefs.

What also amused me was how the different churches worded their "offical" statements and the contrasts between them.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nick, they use an IV needle that's connected to a bag which collects the blood. A pint won't fit very well in a vacuum tube.
I meant multiple tubes. [Smile]

Tell me if I should donate on this information alone:
180 pounds
15% fat
Large veins in at elbows, on forearms, and on hands.
No STD's and I don't do drugs.
Receding hairline...
Wait, that's not pertinent... [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't give blood. [Frown]

I'm tainted with European cooties. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Ooooh, European cooties. [Wink]
dkw
Member # 3264

Banna, I'm highly suspicious of those "official statements," since the UMC one is nowhere near correct.

The actual UMC statement on organ donation is here.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.