FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Completing the transition to DVD

Author Topic: Completing the transition to DVD
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a DVD player for years and years. We remember the days that any new movie was easy to rent because no one was renting the DVD version. We have a netflix account so old they no longer offer it as an option.

We also have an old, crappy VCR. It doesn't work. Well, to be fair, it works, it just happens to also be possessed. It will play tapes, but it always has to have one in it. If you take the tape out of it, it clicks at you until you give it one. If you turn it off, it turns itself back on and clicks at you. It's done this almost as long as we've had a DVD player.

We kept it when we moved so that we could run the cable through the reciever since the input on the tv that would have done that was damaged when the cable people rewired our apartment in AL. We've since replaced the TV, but the VCR stayed. Why?

Don't ask me! We've used it exactly 1 time since we've lived here, but Bill is a pack rat, and he claims it still works.

This weekend, he's finally taken it out and unplugged it. But he won't throw it away. He even came up with an almost valid excuse. We have some home movies on VHS (belt tests, the wedding, stuff like that) that (even though we've not watched since we've been here) we might want to be able to watch some time.

Where do I look for someone who converts VHS to DVD?

I am eager to go office space on the vcr.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The simple solution would be to go out and buy a combination VCR/DVD player. Then you could give your current DVD player to someone else, or even sell it.

A friend of mine even has a television that has a built in VCR and DVD player, so she only needed to buy the one thing.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to get a VHS DVD conversion business going. You are allowed to have one backup copy of any media you legally own. At least, my husband said he read this on the internet, so it must be true. Right now my DVD burner is chewing up a ridiculous amount of blanks, so I'm not really in business yet. But I hope to be soon. For movie conversions, I was planning to offer them as bonuses for folks who get their home movies transferred, since that's where I think the real need lies. There are various places on the web that will do a straight transfer (no chaptering or authoring) of any 2 hours for about $20, which seems kind of ridiculous considering how many movies are available on DVD for under $10.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

*shudder*

no. no. i am not buying old technology. there will be no vcr in this house. i know those combo abominations exist, but that isn't what i want. i want to be free of vhs. we've already replaced a lot of what we have with dvd versions. i am certainly not going to tie a dvd player to a tv. that's just asking to have to buy a new dvd player when we finally find the space and budget for the big screen.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

pooka, yeah, i know places exist, but where do i look for them. i'd prefer to do it locally, i'm just the funny kind of person who likes patronizing local businesses. but i don't even know what listing in the phone book to look under.
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Better be careful about throwing out old electronics. You never know when this may happen.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Media transfer? Video editing? Digital Media? There are services through some video shops, but I think that has a lot to do with the market for edited movies in Utah. DVD duplication?

P.S. I was without a working VCR for over a year, but my grandma got one of those DVD/VHS combos and I intercepted her old VCR on the way to the charity thrift store. I had thought I would never want a VCR again, but a working one is kind of nice. I like having a clock under the TV again.

[ January 11, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has been converting all our old VHS stuff to DVD. I don't know what sorts of gadgets she had to aquire to do it, but I could find out. (Although I'm sure someone else could answer it before I do.)
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a video capture card and record your own. It's surprisingly easy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, yeah, it's not just the clock. I sometimes record stuff off of TV.

The trouble with a capture card is that you have to have a pretty good VCR to capture from. Preferably with Stereo and 19 Micron heads. At least that's what my husband was saying before I picked up the freebie.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i want to be free of vhs.
But... but... how will you watch all the really obscure things that aren't on DVD (yet)?

[Confused] [Dont Know] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, it's more of an issue having a good computer to capture TO. If you're satisfied with the picture from your current VCR, that same picture is the one that'll be arriving in your computer if you try to capture from it. Unfortunately, most computers can't capture analog video fast enough to be really acceptable.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

tom, i'm not satisfied with the picture from the vcr. that, and i actually got bill to throw it away yesterday.

pooka, thanks, i'd looked under video without success, but media has given me a couple options. i was thinking about losing the ability to record stuff from tv, but i haven't actually done that since i lived with my parents and doctor who was on at 1am and i couldn't stay up to watch it because we had to be at church the next day. i'll make some calls later and get that sorted out.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
celia, you don't ever tape anything on the TV or do you have a DVD player that records?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

haven't in years, zan. we discussed the possibility of getting tivo a while ago when they had a really good deal going, so we could record stuff we weren't getting to see. but when we thought about what we'd want to record, there just wasn't anything we cared about enough to bother with.

there is no must see tv.

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
There is, you just haven't discovered it yet [Smile]

[ January 12, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

heh, i've read your thread, and i still haven't learned. [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.