FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fight the popup powers that be

Author Topic: Fight the popup powers that be
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, we have become a popup culture.

Of course, you can't go anywhere on the net without being barraged by popups. The popup blockers help, but it's an epidemic with no real cure.

Now, we have streaming movie advertisements playing on our AIM taskbars. They are sucking up my bandwidth, AND making my computer make noise, without any consent. I mean, the little pictures of ads were irritating, but largely ignorable. The streaming movies are freaking talking to me!

And now, the worst indignity. Popup ads on TV. The little station identifier in the corner was bad enough. But now they have large (sometimes 1/4 of the screen) ads for other shows popping up in the middle of the show your watching! What the hell?!

So I have made a promise to myself. I will never buy a product advertised in any popup ad ever (I have never used Orbitz for this reason, and never will). And now I will never watch a TV program that is advertised in a popup ad.

[Title edited to be more general]

Who's with me?

[ January 14, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises torch*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
iChat - it's the only way to go! All the AIM goodness, none of the Microsoft crap.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
No second thoughts necessary. I'm in.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone donate web space for us to have an online petition people could sign about this? Something to let the marketeers know how much this actually pisses us off?

Something we could register with the search engines, so whenever someone searches for 'popup', our petition comes up? 'Sign this agreement to never use products or services advertised in popups.' Would it be possible to do that?

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I haven't logged into AIM in a while, and this is even more reason to avoid it.

Enter Trillian. Connects me to AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and IRC all at the same time, and absolutely no popups. I love Trillian.

Edit: Linkage. Go for the free, basic one.

[ January 14, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Jexxster ]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen any of the streaming ads . . . are they on the buddy list?

I definitely agree with you on the TV pop-ups. Sounds like a good idea. Heck yeah, I'm with you!
How about those ads that take up half of the screen while the end-credits are running? I think if I boycott those I might be boycotting a bunch of things. There are actually a few shows where I want to be able to see the end credits--guest stars on The Simpsons, writers on The Twilight Zone, gags in the Xena credits--and then there are the shows that keep the jokes coming during the end credits, like the out-takes on Fresh Prince and Home Improvement, but I can't hear 'em over the obnoxious commercial!

Are the ads on the AIM today window? If so, that might be why I don't see them. I have that turned off, along with the stock ticker.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my AIM doesn't give me popups... but I am against them in general! So, once again... *raises torch*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
1 and 1 Internet is giving away web space for the next 8 days. That might be a place to start.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the most effective way to circulate the petition would be in the form of a popup ad. Oh, the irony. [Evil] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Use Mozilla or firebird as a browser:

http://www.mozilla.org/

Use trillian for IMing:

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

Turn of Microsoft Messenger in your windows processes (this is for Windows NT, 2000, and XP):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp

Thus is your arsenal to fight popups, and fear not, you will succeed.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
*grabs another torch*

I'm in.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't SEE them, Ic, you HEAR them. (At least, that's how it works for me.) Scared the heck out of me the first few times.

*lights torch* Burn them!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have pop-up preventers on my computers, maybe that's why I don't see 'em . . .

[Dont Know]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have tried THREE different popup blockers; AIM gets around all of them. And Trillian just made me nuts . . . *sigh*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
iChat - it's the only way to go! All the AIM goodness, none of the Microsoft crap.
Since when did Microsoft run AOL? I think you are a little mixed up on who is doing what wrong to whom, here.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten any popups since I downloaded the google toolbar. I didn't even get it to use as a popup blocker, but I loves it sooo much now.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Got me what MS has to do with AIM (I am a huge iChat fan, though).

Maybe she was referring to Messenger, somehow?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I love the Google-toolbar-and-blocker. [Smile] But even it can't seem to block (doesn't seem to SEE) the popup that opens when I start AIM or the streaming audio ads it sporadically has. [Razz]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, it doesn't, because those aren't the sort of popups it deals with. From the sounds of them, they're either not IE popups, or they're caused by spyware or adware. Or both.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I've been using Spybot and Adaware to kill those. *lightbulb flashes* And I've only had ONE streaming sound thingy recently, and I think it may have been not long before my most recent purge-the-spyware blitz.

Actually, the one that opens with the AIM buddy window IS an IE window, but it seems to trick the blocker by opening with the buddy list. It's just one window each time -- I'll live. [Wink]

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a program called DeadAIM that will get rid of these AIM ads and does a bunch of other stuff too, but it's $5.

I'm sure there are free products out there that do the same thing. I'm looking right now, but I can't seem to load Sourceforge at the moment.

I'm a Trillian user myself. I didn't really even want to let anything AOL touch my system.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm familiar with DeadAIM, and I have friends who use it. Paying NOT to have ads feels to me like extortion, so I won't do it. [Dont Know]
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this somewhere on the Internet:
quote:
Why download a program to get rid of ads when it is only going to slow down your system? Just get rid of the ads yourself. Delete advert.ocm and change the name of admin.ocm to advert.ocm in your AIM folder. This does it! Simple.
If I had AIM, I'd give it a try.

Edit: also, http://www.observers.net/aimadfix.html

Edit2: these "fixes" may be outdated. They never listed which versions they work with. Good luck anyhow!

[ January 15, 2004, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, Nato. [Smile] I followed your first suggestion, and we'll see if it works.

The second one made me go [Eek!] [Angst] , so for now I'll skip it. If the first one doesn't work, I'll likely get up the nerve to try the second. [Big Grin]

Julian Delphiki
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki   Email Julian Delphiki         Edit/Delete Post 
Between the google taskbar, my AIM ad remover, and zone alarm, i have yet to see a popup in over a year.

[Party]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Can't get the google task bar for your TV.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yet. [Big Grin]
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I will fight with thee!

*Draws Sword*

Live strong, die well.

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the much advertised Trillian, and have a question. Is it normal to take hours until I get to the chatroom?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft crap in America OnLine Instant Messenger? Oh yeah.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, no.

The trick is to add yourself as a buddy, then right-click and choose Send Chat Invitation, and then use 'Hatrack Chat' as the chat room.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I did. And it took at least 5 minutes before the chat opened. Both from work and from home. But I tried again this morning, and it opened very quickly. So maybe it was just me.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Found this on another message board:

quote:

WARNING: There is a chance that if the instructions are not followed correctly this could mess up your computer. By choosing to continue you are accepting the following agreement:

I (your name) agree that in the event that I mess something up with my computer I will NOT hold Ender responsible. I choose to follow this procedure on my own accord. By reading the procedure I agree to abide by this WARRANTY.

(Also it?s for XP Home cuz that?s what I have. It may be different for other OS's and Ver.)

Ok enough of that stuff here:

1. Start>Run>C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
2. Select "Select the Program from a list" click "OK"
3. Choose Notepad click "OK"

It should look something like this:

example wrote:
# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost

(Note your hosts file might not look exactly like this. don't panic its ok)

4. Now add the following info:

127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com
127.0.0.1 empiremovies.com
127.0.0.1 xlonhcld.xlontech.net
127.0.0.1 VTOT.proxy.aol.com
127.0.0.1 ads.web.aol.com
127.0.0.1 ads.aol.com

Make sure its 2 lines after the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry.

the finished product MIGHT look like this (different OS ver. look a little diff.):

quote:
Example wrote:
# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com
127.0.0.1 empiremovies.com
127.0.0.1 xlonhcld.xlontech.net
127.0.0.1 VTOT.proxy.aol.com
127.0.0.1 ads.web.aol.com
127.0.0.1 ads.aol.com

In theory, this should work. It reroutes the specific DNS lookups that AIM uses for its ad servers back to your own machine (127.0.0.1). Since you're not running an ad server, then you won't get popups! I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it works, but it should.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
That does work. I used to have a ton of ads blocked that way (to stop the ones that popped up from Kazaa). I'm with slash on the TV ads, especially on 'SpikeTV', with the animated thing in the corner. One of the reasons I don't watch the station now.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.