FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crystal City: Did I Miss Something?

Author Topic: Crystal City: Did I Miss Something?
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Is is me, or did it seem like the part between Heartfire and Crystal City (I'm guessing a year or two) was skipped? Could somebody please fill me in?
*is hopelessly misinformed*
[Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two short stories that take place between Heartfire and The Crystal City. "Grinning Man" and "Yazoo Queen".

You can get "Grinning Man" in the orginal "Legends" anthology edited by Robert Silverberg.

You can get "Yazoo Queen" in the recently released anthology "Legends II", also edited by Robert Silverberg.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I don't have the money to buy those books....... [Frown]

Oh well. Thanks for the help. Could I just get a fill-in? [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Minor Spoilers for CC and bigger ones for the shorts

OSC thinks you have everything you need to know in Crystal City, even if you hadn't read any of the other books or the short stories. This is pretty much true, though it does leave you a bit confused about Alvin's relationship with Bowie and the tribe he meets with the cubes. Really you can pretty much surmise what happened, Alvin was offered a major part on the Mexico campaign and turned it down (for obvious moral beliefs). Alvin and Arthur also freed some slaves and gave them cubes (no detail on that, don't want to spoil it for you and you'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it) as proof of Alvin's approval.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Another question I'd like to ask: Who is Coz? Is he just a character created by OSC, or is he someone from the history books. I only ask because it seems like someone hanging around with Abe Lincoln would also be a famous person. But then again, maybe not.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
/begin spoiler space
/end spoiler space

Well, I was kinda thinking that Coz is Custard, but I could be wrong. I don't think he's in "Grinning Man", but he might be have been in "Yazoo Queen" which I've not read just yet.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick-
Thank you for asking the question. I was afraid I was going senile and had forgotten a whole thread in the storyline.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[Wink] No problem.
Nick
Member # 4311

Well I just finsished it. I started reading it yesterday and read 100 pages. I read the remaining 287 of them today. [Smile]

That said, I am very disappointed...

But only because I don't have any more OSC books to read. [Wink]

The ending was a bit abrubt, but that just makes me look forward to Master Alvin. I thought I hated Calvin (the character, no offense Noah [Wink] ) before, but after reading Crystal City, I ahbor him even more. [Mad]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.