FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Popular Music on a steady decline? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Popular Music on a steady decline?
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh...This is more of a rant from me than anything, I think and probably most people won't even care to read it...but at any rate:

I am getting very angry with today's pop and Top 40 music...it seems that all people want to listen to are songs about sex, drugs, and/or alcohol...where I don't really have a problem with this, It really ticks me off to see fourth and fifth graders walking around singing songs like "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard..." Some people argue that this is only IMPLIED sexuality, but even so there is a certain inference that cannot be overlooked. Does anyone else agree or am I just being stupid?

One other thing that gets me is not as serious, but angering nonetheless...I don't know how many other people have noticed the "Pop-punk" movement (with bands like simple plan and good charlotte) but this is definitely growing and it is very annoying to see middle school girls shopping at stores like Hot Topic and basically making an unsaid statement that "tries" to scream "I'M SO PUNK". I have no real problems with these bands or their music, but its the fact that Punk music was not really meant for songs about love and loss. Honestly, I think it was meant for young people to express their anger and rebelliousness, with songs such as "Beat on the Brat", "Anarchy in the UK", "Heroin", etc.

does anyone else see my points or am i just over opinionated?...

Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I for one certainly agree. You can tell society's in decline because there are so few popular songs about going to church or remaining abstinent.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't listen to pop radio anymore, it makes me physically ill. Isn't there anything out there that is good music and that doesn't advocate rape or drugs?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

exactly my point...to be "good music" doesn't necessarily mean that it has to have flagrant sexual references or anything like that...whatever happened to jazz? funk?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Lalo come off it. Everytime I've turned on the radio in the past 6 months or so a song that degrades women and portrays them as objects whose only purpose is to put out for guys. About the nicest ones I've heard have been the ones that stated "you're hot, so I'll only sleep with you."
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Heh.

You won't find anyone faster to agree that rap music -- and colored people in general -- has been commercialized and taken to ludicrus (pun) extremes to make a profit for the white man. What the hell happened to black pride? "Milkshake" and the song before it and the song after it aren't anything more than cheap titillation put to a pretty rhythm to help convince insecure suburban white kids that they can be gangstas. I'm ashamed, honestly.

But to whine that sex (gasp) is mentioned in songs is a complaint that should've been filed, oh, fifty years ago. Each generation's pushed the limits of society with regards to sex -- or do you honestly believe you're more shocked about Kelis than others were with Elvis?

It sells. And while I certainly sympathize with your plight of being unable to find songs about abstinence, and certainly agree that my disgust with society grows ever larger with every celebrated loser like Snoop Dogg or Kelis and every vote given to the Republican party -- I'm not about to condemn anyone, be it the audience or the artist, for music about sex. It's a damn important aspect of life, and shouldn't be ignored or repressed. Though I'd certainly like to hear more political songs, like NOFX's "The Decline," few subjects are less controversial and easier to sell than sex or love. Why do you think Hollywood puts out an insipid love story every month, and so few movies with political themes are even publicized? Can you think of the last blockbuster that had a political message?

Sex isn't going to go anywhere. And for so long as half the country votes Republican, I doubt the national IQ's going to be high enough to allow introduction of anything but more formula love stories and tired love songs. And while white housewives will go on panicking about Britney Spears' latest pathetic attempt at titillation and the latest dress J. Lo wore to the Oscars, they're not about to reverse the sexualization of whatever passes as American culture. Which is, I suppose, a good thing -- I assume you saw how comfortable 1950's society was with sex by watching how active Lucy and Ricky's love life is? In fifty years, current homophobes will be looked at the same way we (or, at least, the growing number of us) view racists of fifty years ago. In fifty years, I can only hope people will have the freedom to consider Bush the same way we today consider McCarthy. In fifty years, moves to censor sexuality (not that you're suggesting this) on television will seem as antiquated as the prudes of yesteryear who made Lucy and Ricky sleep in different beds. While I can say I'm thrilled to see kids shake their thong thang to show off how bootilicious they are, I doubt many people were happy about kids imitating Elvis' lewd pelvis-shaking. Yet, the country matured from Elvis' time, thanks in no small part to liberal questioning of society, which was in its part inspired in no small way by sexual pioneers like Elvis who pushed the envelopes of acceptability. I can only hope the country'll do the same with the likes of Britney or Kelis, as uncomfortable as we may feel about their popularity.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Oh, and forgive the jabs at the GOP. I'm feeling particularly digusted with their voting pool at the moment.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Please, will you actually read what I say, instead of want you assume I'm going to say?

I have no problem with extramarital sex in songs. Well, I do, but it's not a huge deal for me. I'm talking about songs which debase women. "you're hot, but you let yourself go for one minute and I'm off girl." The songs which say my only purpose in life is to be a sex object for men. The sons that say men can do whatever they want to me because I'm not a human, I'm an object, a woman. Maybe you believe all that, so it feels ok to you; but it makes me sick to think that anyone believes that about women.

Lalo
Member # 3772

Actually, that post was only half-addressed to you -- it was more of a response to D&T's claim that certain sexuality can't be overlooked, and therefore excused, in popular music.

I agree with you, actually. If anything about rap music disgusts me more than the whoring of black culture, it's the blatantly misogynistic themes of most artists. Nothing both amuses me as much as a white boy celebrating what a pimp he is -- nothing depresses me as much women who actually do whore themselves out in response to this not-so-new theme of male domination. Isn't it possible for me to permit overt sexuality in music and not buy into the misogynistic or homophobic tendencies of pinkydicked whores who sell their race's pride and dignity for bling bling?

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Elvis, shocking???
How about Strauss? Good grief, man, people actually touched while waltzing.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
How is this a decline? Are the sex, drugs, and alcohol levels of music any higher now than 30 years ago?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Honestly, I think it was meant for young people to express their anger and rebelliousness, with songs such as "Beat on the Brat", "Anarchy in the UK", "Heroin", etc.

Why just young people? [Razz]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you old folks had John Denver.

Anyway, as most of these people have insinuated, everything people have ever been interested in has been sex, violence, and drugs. Just look back a few decades:Buddy Holly, Elvis, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zepplin, Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, Sublime...

Look at any of those bands and you'll find references to sex, violence, and/or drugs.

And those are only the bands I like.

As for the new pseudo-punk thing, it's just a fad. Ignore it and it'll go away.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is a new tune never heard before. Wow! Thanks for bringing to light my complete lack of taste in music. I'm a changed man.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ahh...This is more of a rant from me than anything, I think and probably most people won't even care to read it...but at any rate:

I am getting very angry with today's pop and Top 40 music...it seems that all people want to listen to are songs about sex, drugs, and/or alcohol...where I don't really have a problem with this, It really ticks me off to see fourth and fifth graders walking around singing songs like "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard..." Some people argue that this is only IMPLIED sexuality, but even so there is a certain inference that cannot be overlooked. Does anyone else agree or am I just being stupid?

One other thing that gets me is not as serious, but angering nonetheless...I don't know how many other people have noticed the "Pop-punk" movement (with bands like simple plan and good charlotte) but this is definitely growing and it is very annoying to see middle school girls shopping at stores like Hot Topic and basically making an unsaid statement that "tries" to scream "I'M SO PUNK". I have no real problems with these bands or their music, but its the fact that Punk music was not really meant for songs about love and loss. Honestly, I think it was meant for young people to express their anger and rebelliousness, with songs such as "Beat on the Brat", "Anarchy in the UK", "Heroin", etc

Perfectly put! I couldn't have said it better, well maybe I could...... anyhoo, one discrepency sah, It is not Pop Punk, it is called PussyPunk, and you can't count out the classic release albums of great bands that are dead of unreleased songs, they count as current music, like the new Nirvava CD *drools* a heavenly experience, but things like Simple Plan piss me off mucho mucho. Mettallica on tour! Hell Yeah!

Some of the best bands alive, or dead:
Ramones
Sex Pistols
Rage Against the Machine
Audioslave
Flogging Molly
Evanescence
Dropkick Murphys
Green Day
Cold
Offspring (Hit That is the best song)

The Best Bands ever:
Mettallica
The Monkees (yes yes I love them)

Best New Band this Millenium:
Vendetta Red

Rhaegar

[ January 18, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar, your post absoutely screams sheltered 15-year-old.

Also, if you love Metallica so much, why do you spell their name incorrectly?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Jazz and orchestrial music is only appreciated by those who play an instrument because they can feel the music. Other than that teen sonly like music with either unique lyrics/imagery or an awesome beat. You can't really expect that much from them..or us, I mean.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Nonsense, Maeth.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because lots of people engage in premarital sex and "immodest behavior" doesn't make it some sort of badge of honor or something worth singing about, Ed, anymore than half the country opposing homosexual marriage makes that something to be held up and defended.

*shrug* Popular culture is usually an appeal to the lowest common denominator. I am no longer surprised by what I find there, but at the same time I unabashedly enjoy some of it, sometimes. After all, I've got a lowest common denominator, as well. I try not to make the mistake of kidding myself, however, that my more animalistic and instinctive desires are something to be admired instead of accepted and then dealt with.

And come on, Ed. You're not really sorry about those jabs at the GOP. You say such things very frequently. That'd be like me saying I'm sorry I swear. (Like that in the respect that I do, frequently).

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to support more sophisticated music, support more sophisticated music. Research local or unknown bands with a sound you like, and introduce people to it. Buy albums you enjoy and support the musicians, rather than burning a copy or ripping it off at Kazaa. With more people being responsible music patrons, better music will be better off.

Our culture is headed as a whole down a path of lower quality and lower standards. Maybe we can't reverse it, but we can work on improving the quality entertainment we enjoy in an effort to expand its availibility to those who share our tastes.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids today. I swear. As if. I mean, like, grody.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
To the max!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
RtF, are you seriously suggesting that Green Day is a punk band???

*rolls on floor laughing*

For the record: I enjoy PunkLite. I simply realize its smallness.

The Sex Pistols were just angry yelling men with no musical talent. I'm not saying they weren't effective, but even THEY said they had no musical talent. Performers, yes, artists, whatever, but not musicians.

I enjoy some popular music, even some *gasp* sexual music; but I don't like songs that advocate rape or violence. "Milkshake" is fun, but I always feel guilty listening to it. I much prefer Missy Elliot's work, as it seems to be a celebration of her own sexual being, rather than a longing for sexual acceptance.

*meh*

I'll stick with Jason Mraz, I guess. Also, Nelly and the St. Lunatics sing a song about their shoes (Air Force Ones!) that totally cracks me up. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, "Kill All the White Men" is a better NOFX song [Smile]

-Bok

PS- Pop music has been going downhill since JS Bach anyway!

[ January 18, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, how dare Bach appeal to emotionalism and the baser instincts, polluting the people's natural taste for the spiritual clarity of baroque.

And yep, like my Strauss example, the above is an example of the scorn with which Bach's music was initially received by musical critics.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I like my own music. [Wink]

I don't care what music is popular. If people didn't like it, it wouldn't be on the radio would it? They can listen to whatever they want. If there is one thing that irritates me is when cars drive around with their dual 12" subwoofers that makes that whole car rattle. That's just plain annoying. [Dont Know]

Anyway, I generally like to learn how to play my favorite songs. I get the free tabs/music online, and it's not piracy, and you can play/listen to the song whenever you feel like. [Smile]

That said, I would have to say that I like Incubus (sp?) and Metallica as one of my two favorites. I wish I was talented enough on my guitar to play some Incubus songs. . . [Frown]

So far I'm limited to nearly all of the Red Hot Chili Peppers songs (In other words, I'm still not very good at playing. [Smile] ).

I just don't get why people like Britney Spear's music. And why they call her a dancer. [Roll Eyes] Also, he breast cup size increases from a B to a D in one month? [Roll Eyes]

I could go on and on about the stupidity of "pop culture".

quote:
Kids today. I swear. As if. I mean, like, grody.
Because it was from you Tom, that was the funniest thing I have seen all day.

Lalo, you ask us to forgive the jabs at GOP, yet you do it constantly. What you said would be like somebody hitting you in the face and then saying, "Oh, by the way, forgive my jabs (pun) at your face!" [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
So far I'm limited to nearly all of the Red Hot Chili Peppers songs (In other words, I'm still not very good at playing [Smile] )
I wouldn't complain. You really could be limited to worse music.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I'm not complaining about the music, I'm complaing about my lack of ability to play better music. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is my assumption that most people tend to think the music scene peaked when they were about 17. Then, for about two years, it sells out. And then, for another five years, it's lame. And after that, it's dangerously violent and skanky and dumb and promotes irresponsibility in youth.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
It is my assumption that most people tend to think the music scene peaked when they were about 17. Then, for about two years, it sells out. And then, for another five years, it's lame. And after that, it's dangerously violent and skanky and dumb and promotes irresponsibility in youth.
It is my assumption that people older than 25 don't know anything about how music is viewed by people that are 17-24. [Razz]

But seriously, some people say they like what is popular so they can continue to think that they are popular. [Dont Know]

Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
Garbage in, garbage out. The more simple getting music out to as many people as possible gets, the lower the bar goes for real talent, thus increasing the amount of crap to wade through to find the gems. Most of the time, people don't wade through. They just find a warm spot here and there and stay in it for a while.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
RtF, are you seriously suggesting that Green Day is a punk band???
Jexx, I was N\not suggesting that they were, never in my entire post did I mention the word punk, I simply like their music, woudl you take it that my post was also suggesting the The Monkees (a funny beatles like brittish group who had a two season tv show) were punk? I was simply staing that I liked their music.

Oh a few bands I left out of my last post.

Bothy Band
The Chieftans

And, one of the bands most dissed by the Media but which in fact is just fun, notice, not neccesaril talented, just fun, their music and souns is just enjoyable, you can tell its people actually doing this for fun, and they are so unPC it just makes me love them even more.

Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts

Rhaegar

[ January 19, 2004, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo on Pop Music: Bush Sucks [Smile]

------------------------

Music cycles like anything else.

In times like these, I break out the Floyd and Beatles to weather the storm.

Something original will pop up soon.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're playing the chili peppers - and playing it well - you're a pretty good guitarist.

Then there's me, who knows Sarah McLachlan, Jewel, and the basic chords to every U2 song. Yeah, I'm real fun at a party. [Razz]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember having this argument back in college. One guy said that there's pretty much an equal amount of good music out there at one time. Another of my friends believed that there is a certain fixed percentage of music that is allowed to be good. No, seriously, allowed. Like there's a super secret conspiracy that goes around making sure that, say, 6.72% of all music produced anywhere is good. In his opinion, they switched recently from preventing people from making good music to aiding people in making crappy music by the sackful.

For my part, I stared at them and said, "Look, all I said is that I think that a garage band that's been together for 4 months could play better than The Rolling Stones. They suck, that's all."

Later, I woke up with a hangover.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
What nonsense do I speak of? The only person I know that likes jazz happens to play the sax. Therefore I can understand why he loves it. During a jazz concert we had during school, I could at least expect him to admire the musicians up on stage. Everyone else talked while all the solos went on or did homework, basically they went to that concert to get out of class.

Teens don't appreciate the music unless they understand the effort that is put into it. The music that they know is the kind that they can relate to or be expressive to.

[ January 19, 2004, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Maethoriell ]

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*sends flowers to Squick in appreciation* [ROFL]

Annie! Come play some Sarah songs with me! *pouts* We'll make our OWN party... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I disagree, Maethoriell. I think it only has to do with what kinds of images the music paints in the teen's mind. That goes for any music which concentrates more on the music than the lyrics (jazz, classical, some metal). I know this from first-hand experience. Really, one of my favorite things to listen to, just for the sake of listening, is Tchaikovsky, since it paints such an epic picture in my mind. For the same reason, I really like The Oddyssey by Symphony X. I don't play the organ, guitar, drums, violin, or any of those, and I'm a terrible singer.

Of course, I also like rap and rock with heavy beats and good lyrics, but I like those for completely different reasons.

[ January 19, 2004, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

Some images can't be painted by themselves. It has to be described for them. Rap and rock can't compare to classical and jazz for a teen because they all have characteristics that not everyone will see equally. It's not often you hear a teen share their excitement over his/her new classical music collection.

I listen to classical music and soundtrack because it's uncorrupted. It is the music alone. I listen to it for relaxation and to get out of what I always hear, love, hatred etc etc.

[ January 19, 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Maethoriell ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I know they can't compare, but that doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed equally for different reasons. It's true you don't hear a teen jump up and down when they get a classical CD or something, but that's because they release their excitement differently with things like that.
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

..and why? It's still music in which they could be proud of, if anyone else shared that same feeling. Some teens are discouraged to like such music because it seems as if people would they like "oldies" or something like that. It's not something to always be proud of publicly. You get treated differently if you like another form of music than the others. Basically teens are discouraged to like classical and jazz because it's not as popular as the other types, only because the artists gather more gossip than that of jazz artists etc. It only takes overcoming that fear of being different and maturity to accept jazz and classical as a kind of music thats actually just as popular as the others.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In times like these, I break out the Floyd and Beatles to weather the storm.

Amen. I find myself not listening to too much else in recent months(possibly years). Throw in some more classic rock, coldplay, and a renewed interest in Dave Matthews, and that pretty much sums up my music for the past 2 years or so. Give or take a few bands. But Floyd and The Beatles more than anything else.

[ January 19, 2004, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

♫ We don't need no education.. ♫
[Razz]

enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One other thing that gets me is not as serious, but angering nonetheless...I don't know how many other people have noticed the "Pop-punk" movement (with bands like simple plan and good charlotte) but this is definitely growing and it is very annoying to see middle school girls shopping at stores like Hot Topic and basically making an unsaid statement that "tries" to scream "I'M SO PUNK". I have no real problems with these bands or their music, but its the fact that Punk music was not really meant for songs about love and loss. Honestly, I think it was meant for young people to express their anger and rebelliousness, with songs such as "Beat on the Brat", "Anarchy in the UK", "Heroin", etc.
Who are you to say what punk should be about?

MAYBE they agree with you about all the crass, blatant sexual lyrics around today, and their form of rebellion IS to write punk about love and feeling.

Punk was not just about rebellion. It was also about making music that wasn't so over-produced and high-tech that fans couldn't play it in their garage. It stripped all that away and left raw, often rough, music that tapped into elemental feelings in us. We can't choose what today's fans should relate to.

[ January 19, 2004, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: enjeeo ]

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, why do people say things like:
quote:
I have no real problems with these bands or their music
when clearly they do?

Did you read your own post? You have no real problem with something that angers you? That angered you enough that you posted about it?

I find this somewhat amusing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure you spell grody like that?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, RtF, I'm sorry. I was mixing up your post with that of drumsntolkien. I suck. In my defense, I had been cleaning the house all day and the fumes from the 409 might have finally gotten to me.

*grin*

And I like Green Day too. But I like MXPX more. And favoritely: Nickelback. So there. Nyah! (not addressed to anyone in particular, just feelin' sassy)

And when I was a junior in H.S., I jumped up and down when I got my Wagner cassettes (yes, before CD players were prevalent. I am old.). So nyah to Maeth, too. [Wink]

Also: Lalo is a boogerhead.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

...i didnt mean to be saying that i thought music "should be" this or "should include" these subjects...i was just appalled at the lack of respect that some people can show towards something like sex...it's not like if they mention it at all, i'm going to turn off the radio or anything, but i honestly think that the level of, shall we say, details put into those songs is not necessary. isn't sex meant to be something private, shared only with your partner, married or not?

--changes topics--

hehe well as for this whole punk thing i probably should have reworded it. mostly, i was directing it towards the listener rather than the maker of music...i respect those bands and i think they have decent music, honestly i really like some of it.

But say you go to a middle school...you walk in and you see a group of little cheerleaders in a group wearing good charlotte and simple plan t-shirts. then you see some guys walk by and they're like "Man, Good Charlotte sucks! I'd never listen to them, they have no talent" (FYI this is an exact situation that i observed in a middle school a year or so ago) then one of the cheerleaders goes "Maybe, but their drummer is REALLY hot!"....

THAT is what angers me. if i were that guy i would go home and pray to never touch a good charlotte cd in my life. Then i'd probably get on to high school and buy it anyway because i actually heard it and it wasn't bad....I don't know i really don't mind the pop-punk movement, and i didnt mean to try to define what punk should be...honestly, punk is whatever you make it and thats why it's so awesome, because it's such a great form of expression. and people can identify with it.
Maybe i should be happy that punk is still mainstream and people can listen to it and think "hey i know exactly what they're talking about!"...

so, either way, i've changed what i said in my initial post a lot.

drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

oh and rhaegar, i'm sorry but it's really funny that you mention the bands that you do...because (you may argue or not either way is true) i know for a fact that you haven't even listened to half of the bands on your list... [ROFL] sorry i just think its really funny, but maybe it's because i know rhaegar personally [Big Grin] hehe
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What the hell happened to black pride?

The left in this country has all but stomped it out. How can we expect any other result when blacks are held to a different standard than the rest of the nation? Those who embrace "diversity" for diversity's sake are the ones robbing people of their identity. Individuals no longer exist to them, but rather, they turn every gathering, everywork-place into a charity event, thus removing the possibility of pride in one's work or self.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.