FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft

Author Topic: Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/19/offbeat.mike.rowe.soft.ap/index.html

The teenager against the machine!

I have no idea what his site actually contains. I tried to acess it and was blocked by my work server. Though it is possible that my server runs on Microsoft products...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit...$10 doesn't sound like "good faith" to me. I understand vigorously defending your copyright, especially when you're as disliked as Microsoft is in some arenas. But this sounds just a little frivolous.

I would never mistake MikeRowesoft for Microsoft.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can claim copyright infringement on a homonym, unless they're TRYING to fraudulently make people think they are you.

Has he done ANYTHING other than register the domain? I get the "403 Forbidden" message. Then again, I'm using IE . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think that Microsoft has enough money that it should be able to hire lawyers that know the difference between copyright and trademark.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Mozilla and still get the same forbidden error. I would imagine that he's taken it down.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the kid on this one -- Microsoft is being ridiculous.

[The Wave]

That's my show of support. I call it the Mike Rowe wave.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

*goes off to look for a wet fish to slap Papa Moose around with*

That was *terrible*.

[ROFL]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
*Smacks Papa Moose around with a big wet tuna*

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I disagree, jeniwren. I think Pop's made a decent contribution to this little Mike-Rowe-cosm.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

*makes that an order for TWO wet fish*

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

I really think they deserve 2x4s, rather than fish.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

rivka, I think you'd be best to leave off the Mike Rowe management and just go with the flow.
rivka
Member # 4859

What's the next size up from a 2x4? A 4x8?

A baseball bat? [Evil]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Here, you can borrow my Mike Row meter. You'll want to make sure that lumber has the right dimensions before you use it.
rivka
Member # 4859

Except a 2x4 ISN'T actually 2 by 4!
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using Mike Rowe Fish to hit him with?
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

*tempted to make a Mike Rowe scope joke, but decides against it*
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has he done ANYTHING other than register the domain
Why don't you call the Mike Rowe phone and ask him?

/me admits to having registered domains for the sole purpose of being cute or otherwise inappropriate

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain the site's been /.'d. He is a web designer, and the website has something to do with that business (a hobby business, I believe).

don't forget, this guy's 17.

There are lots of IANAL posts on /. taking sides on whether or not Mike Rowe has dug himself into a hole by suggesting M$ pay him $10k.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except a 2x4 ISN'T actually 2 by 4!
Yes it is. It's two inches wide by four inches thick. The length is negotiable.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to see the site and all of the site news is about his business and new websites and other such stuff until the stuff about microsoft. It isn't like he was intending to do anything anti-microsoft with his website, or even mention microsoft.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe 2x4s are 1 3/4" x 3 3/4". Or something like that. But they're not really two inches by four inches.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the jokes all gone? Is this the end of Mike Rowe evolution?

You know, it'd be really cool if he had a brother named Mac.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Suneun is right. He's fallen for the old offer-counteroffer gambit that slick companies use to "prove" a squatter is acting in bad faith. On the one hand, it's a fact that trademark law requires you to defend your mark or risk losing it; on the other, kids aren't born with the knowledge that you must ignore offers from slick lawyers. On behalf of witty jokesters everywhere, I'm siding with the little guy.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

His site is back up: http://www.Mikerowesoft.com

Thank the irony dieties for staying away, in that he did not use any MS products in the design of his website. As a professional website developer, this is not a huge shock (Dreamweaver really is a wonderful program).

I agree he might have erred in asking 10,000 bucks, but I think MS did the same by offering 10 in a written statement AFTER Rowe had mentioned he has invested time and effort into his business.

The reasons for the errors was the 250,000 hits his webpage took, and that they killed his previous host. It's all explained on the site.

Does this strike anyone else as putting MS in the same light as the RIAA when it sued the very old or very young? I mean, talk about some types of publicity you really don't want.

And I agree... GO CANUCK! Stick it to MS!

B.Y.S.O.A.L.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna sit on the fence on this one. The kid made some very poor choices, but I think MS is going a bit overbroad.

On one hand, the kid admitted that he knowingly registered the domain to sound like microsoft. This could be construed as bad faith, in an attempt to imitate the site.

Second, when microsoft offered to pay him for the cost of the domain $10, he counter offered for $10,000. Sure, I can understand that he put some work into the site, but IMO, 10k is a bit much. Especially since he could take the data with him, and retool it for another domain name. Either way, IMO, this is defintely bad faith.

Of course, the really interesting part is that it won't be a real court that decides this, but instead it'll be the WIPO that decides this (and they're known for being business friendly).

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is his legal name Mike Rowe or Michael Rowe? If so than I vote for him. If not, he's a loser.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Rowe is his actual last name and he goes by Mike for a first name though it could be a Michael.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Microsoft is softening its stance.

[ January 21, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.