FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ask the priesthood holder? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ask the priesthood holder?
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone be willing to do a thread about LDS beliefs similar to the one that Rivka is doing about Judiasm? I have several questions, and don't know where else I can ask them.

Or, would someone be willing to have a private email/IM correspondence with me on that subject?

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You might do better to ask a priesthood holder's wife. . .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to answer any questions you have. Email me at brinestone@hotmail.com or IM me later tonight (Brinestone).
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when this topic was started, I was interested in taking up the role of Mormon Answer-Man, since that is something I have done before on other internet forums. However, since I was/am new here, and there are a lot of oldtimers here who are well-qualified, I didn't want to put myself forward.

Well, now that Rivka's thread is going strong again, and since none of my fellow Mormons jumped at the chance presented (except for Brinestone via e-mail), I am going to go for it.

So I know that those who have participated here for a long time have picked up a lot of good info about Mormonism already. Still, everybody can't know everything, can they? If anybody has any questions, I'll answer them here. And other Mormons, I'm sure, will feel free to put in their two cents as well.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not a Danite
Member # 6185

- posted      Profile for Not a Danite           Edit/Delete Post 
Just watch what you say, Bub.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka's thread was, I think, inspired by Hobbes Mormon questions thread. Now, where is that... *rummages through Hatrack*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think I saw that one quite a while ago. But sometimes it's nice to start afresh, isn't it?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sure. That'd be fun. Go for it. [Smile]

There was just an awful lot covered in that thread, and if any questions are the same, it would be awfully convenient. [Smile] *still searching*

Found it: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=014398

[ February 10, 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
change the thread title to "Ask the Visiting Teacher" and we might have somewhere to start. I imagine your first question might be: What is a visiting teacher?

Edit: my point is, the other thread is "ask the [Rabbi's wife]". If it were "Ask the Rabbi" the content would be expected to be either authoritative or sarcastic in nature.

[ February 10, 2004, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Change the thread title to "Ask the Seminary Teacher" and you'll get all the misinformation you want.
pooka
Member # 5003

Also, Ask the Education Week participant. Or is that the same as a seminary teacher?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Why priesthood holder rather than priest?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, kat, my thread was inspired by getting very similar questions from two different people (one via IM and one via email) a few days apart. It just seemed more efficient. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why priesthood holder rather than priest?
Good question! I think the reason we don't use the terminology of priest (though it is the name of a certain level of the priesthood in LDS doctrine) is because in most churches the term is associated with specific preaching duties and is a specific leadership office. All worthy men in the LDS church can hold the priesthood, wheter or not they have a calling that puts them in a leadership position.

What we refer to as the priesthood is what we believe to be the authority to act in God's name, not a specific position in the church.

Though I'm not the most knowledgeable one in these parts about the specifics of the priesthood. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, "priest" is just one of several offices of the priesthood, including deacon, teacher, and elder.

Edit: Jon Boy can't read. Annie pretty much already said that.

[ February 10, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Do Mormon's have horns? If not, then why not?
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Silly Trogdor. Jews have the horn monopoly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just look at Statues of Moses. He's got 'em. And I'm pretty sure he was a Jew.

Then again, Mormons think he was one of them too...hmm

*ponders*

Maybe Jews AND Mormons have horns...

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

ONE painting. It's one bloody painting!
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the old Mormon thread is that everytime I have a question I think about searching through that thread for the answer and get very very tired. But I know I can't ask anyone about it because they'll just direct me to that thread. The end result being that my question is never answered.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Can they burninate people?
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

Alright....here's another...

You're about ready to get the sacrament tray, but you watch the toddler in front of you sneeze on the whole water tray. Do you partake anyway?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, I wouldn't care if you asked the same questions, even if they've been asked a hundred times already. [Smile]

Trogdor: Toddlers are under the age of accountability, so if you get sick, they're not guilty. Also, the water has been blessed. If that's not good enough for you, then you've got bigger problems.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronin
Member # 1749

- posted      Profile for Ronin           Edit/Delete Post 
do mormons still sacrifice black people?

[Roll Eyes]
Ive actually heard that before...

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can they burninate people?
Only sacrificial offerings, or a member who screwed up jello salad.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that a joke, or do Mormons really think Moses was a Mormon?
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

You're a mormon too. You just don't know it yet.
GradStudent
Member # 5088

I might have been. If the missionaries hadn't stood me up FOUR times.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ONE painting. It's one bloody painting!
It's not a painting, it's a sculpture - I saw it in Rome. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

They did?

[Confused]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Wow! [Eek!] I've never heard of that. I mean they're often late by ridicuols periods of time, but... when they're meeting a new investigator they usually make it on time. That stinks. [Frown] (((GS)))

As for Moses, Mormons believe he was a prohpeh of the Lord, and part of the true Church of Jesus Christ that is the Mormon church today. So yes he was a "Mormon", but only in the sense that Catholics would believe he was Catholic. Well actually I take that back, it goes a little deeper (he was aware that the Son of God would one day come to earth), but that's the basics of it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Of course I'm not a priesthood holder either... so Jon Boy can come in here and kick my spirtual butt out. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

pooka
Member # 5003

Stood you up for a teaching appointment or stood you up for drinks and a movie?

edit: When I was in charge of setting up meals for the missionaries (oops, almost called them elders) a pair actually stood up this old couple who had fixed them an extra special dinner even though we told them not to go to any extra trouble.

I've actually heard a joke about women getting to hold the priesthood when they hug them. :hands Jon Boy a tissue in advance for his bleeding ears:

[ February 11, 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

pooka
Member # 5003

By the way, I saw Trogdor the Burninator scrawled on a chalboard at my daughter's school. He's covering the whole Earth!
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but he may be Burninating The Countryside.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I yield! A quick search shows that there's the painting I was referring to, AND the statue mentioned, AND a bunch more.

I wuz wrong! So very, very wrong!

pooka
Member # 5003

It was actually in the Catholic bible (Latin Vulgate), that when he came back from Mt. Sinai (watch me have gotten that wrong) he had horns growing out from his head. It was supposed to say he had a halo glowing out from his head. At least, that's the story I as I remember it from College Humanities.
rivka
Member # 4859

The mistranslation was of "beams of light from his skin" -- that is, his face glowed.

No horns, no halo.

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem being that the Hebrew phrase is "keren or" meaning "ray of light" (it's in the plural in Hebrew, but I am transliterating in the singular for simplicity's sake). The Hebrew word "keren" can be either a ray (as in a ray of light), or a horn (as in a ram's horn). Hence the confusion.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
The wonderfully ironic thing about the Catholic church is that they universally burninated everyone and did not discriminate on the basis of color, sex, or religion. In a wonderfully sublime display of humanity, they tended on the extremes of either killing or converting.

I have never heard of LDS burning anyone though!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that Mormon missionaries kidnap your daughters and hold them captive in the Salt Lake Temple and the only way for them to escape is to jump out the window into the Great Salt Lake?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question. In the LDS religion, if I'm not LDS what happens to me after I die?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
You would have a chance to be taught the gospel and choose whether or not to accept it.
Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
AFR - Boy that would be some jump! Especially considering the SLC Temple is nowhere near the Great Salt Lake if you're measuring in jumps.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to take this thread and make it serious.

After death, all souls pass a preliminary judgment. Those who have lived the best they could according to their knowledge will go to a place of rest.

Those who have sinned (willingly rebelled against something they knew was right) will go to a place of. . . well, stricture.

It is important to remember that in Mormon theology, your basic personality does not undergo a massive transformation at death. If you are greedy in this life, you will have a tendency to be greedy in the next, for example.

This place of rest or stricture is not the final destination. It is a place for those who've never heard of the Gospel to learn it and either choose to accept or reject it.

All souls in this place view it as a prison because they are without their bodies. In Mormon theology, a spirit without a physical body is incomplete-- and in a sense powerless.

At an undetermined time, souls will go through a final judgment, when everyone, good or bad, will receive a body. This will be a perfected body-- no dying or sickness.

Mormons do not believe in the classic vision of Hell. After receiving a perfected body, souls will be placed according to their willingness to follow the commandments, in one of three 'kingdoms.' Each successive kingdom is marked by it's nearness to God. None are places of torment.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Each successive kingdom is marked by it's nearness to God. None are places of torment.
Yeah, but I bet the A/C is colder on the higher levels.

And if none of these levels are places of torment, where do they put the banjo and accordian players? In soundproof plastic bubbles?

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Great. I kept checking this thread last night until the last possible moment, and there was no action. Now I log on first thing in the morning, and everyone has gone on without me. No fair!
pooka
Member # 5003

serious scott. [Roll Eyes] Alucard... just [Roll Eyes] Do you really want to bring up the mountain meadows massacre?
quote:
None are places of torment.
Apparently the Hatrack freeze out didn't affect you the way it did me.

[ February 11, 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
No way, KarlEd! Have you looked at a map of Utah lately? Salt Lake City is right smack dab on the lake! They could do it if they had strong legs. And they wouldn't even sink, because the brine shrimp would keep them afloat. Of course they'd all have wedding gowns on by the time they got anywhere near the window, and that would make it harder. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Yes, but the hoop skirts we make them wear would act as semi- parachutes. A strong wind and a four story leap should carry them the five miles.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.