FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WenchCon Reflections and Acknowledgements (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WenchCon Reflections and Acknowledgements
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially when Noah was involved. So you can't blame me that I didn't ask what took so long [Angst]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, where to start....

The day before travel:
Hectic, I got my check and didn't deposit it...
Well, after looking for answers on "how" to get to wenchcon I was lucky enough to have a brother that could spot me the money I needed, until I got back.

4am-11am:
Well, after being stuck in SLC for the better part of the morning we finally got out, and had no trouble once we started travel.

When we got to Atlanta, Morbo picked us up and we talked about stuff that the other hatrackers were doing while waiting for the rest of us to get there.

We got to the hotel and were met by Dave, Kat, Sarah, Judie, Noah, Shlomo, and others; and we gathered in the meeting room and played some pictionary, apples and some other games... Like Settlers! *Which some of us stayed up most and other all the night playing*
Somewhere in here we had fun of opening a wine bottle... [Razz]

Around 6-7 am I got a call from Ken wondering where exactly the hotel was gave some directions and they shortly showed up.

This is where I slept for 4-5 hours... and woke up feeling HORRIBLE *headache that felt like a tire in a vice*. I'm pretty sure it was staying up 24-27 hours, and drinking LOTS of bawls.

I got up eventually and went to watch the second half of FOTR, then had some wonderful food thanks to Olivet [Smile] played some games *More settlers*, and watched TTT. Off to see the ROTK! in costume. [Wink] Well, I was one of the last in the line that actually got a ticket. I figured since T, was all in orange that he should have a ticket to see ROTK. We debated about what to do for a while, and finally got the tickets out, with about 6-7 of us that didn't get in. (Note: Olivet... Thanks so much for doing all you did for us! Even with all the planning in the world things sometimes happen, I was glad to hang out with you and the others that missed ROTK.) We watched Lost in Translation... Wow, I really enjoyed this movie.
After the movie some of us went in and sat in the isles to watch the last bit of ROTK, and there were some that had some "Interesting" discussions out in the lobby. From here we went back to the hotel, and hung out in the hot tub where we all talked about everything from hatrack to daily things *actually sounding a bit like Hatrack was live and not a forum*
That night some of us went back to the metting room, and played more settlers while Firefly was on in the background, and later others came in to play Trivial Persuit. An amount of sleep later, I woke up to go fence! Fencing reminded me some of Karate except instead of attacking with your self, you have a foil *in our case*.

I'm really thinking of taking up fencing. I really enjoy it, it makes me concentrate, and I have a well defined goal of what needs to be done in order to win, and what needs to be worked on.

I had lots of fun and I was in a match with Sarah, which she did very well, but I came out the winner of the match.
After fencing and watching more fencing, we decided it would be good to get some food. We ate at The Macaroni Grill *where I took the pictures of Andrea*

My "Pictures" are at http://r4v3n.com/wenchcon/

When we got back we played with pillows and toys for a while [Razz] 1000 ideas, while Noah and I wrestled for a bit. which is the reason I look dead tired in that pic near the end. We danced while some went bowling, and started calming down *really!* did some cleanup, and retreated back to the hot tub once again.

Checking out and talking about some auction.. [Smile] Then we went to Stake and Shake *Never actually been there before or heard of it* got shakes to go, and left to go see Big Fish. Big Fish is ... hmm how to say it. You could very well use that story as a way to tell about my relationship with my dad. Minus the talk at the end.

And then we left! Josh and I actually got stuck in Atlanta until around 7 or so because we missed the first flight out but we would have been stuck in PHX anyways *So no biggie Morbo it was awesome to talk to you about stuff and hang out*

All in all I had a wonderful time, and seriously want to go to the next "Event" [Smile]

This has been a Mark post.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a small amount of trouble finding the hotel, but only a very small amount. I easily found directions online. However, I thought that the right turn mentioned meant the highway exit, which led me a good distance astray before I realized I was going in the wrong direction. (And naturally the traffic was terrible right then--20 minute delay getting back.)
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

PART III: Can't We Go To The Supermarket Instead?

So Noah and I are off in the Davemobile on a quest to purchase a bottle of Wine to celebrate Russel's 21st Birthday.

The thing is, I've never PURCHASED alcohol before. Fact is, I'd only had two prior wine experiences before. One (a single sip) following the final rehearsal of a Musical Theater Group I was kind of a part of as a side project in my Acting & Stage Movement class, the second beign a quarter of a glass at the house of a crazy awesome gay film critic in New York who owns the original Jason mask from Friday the 13th Part 3, and who showed us crazy asian exploitational films for giggles. [Angst]

But that, friends, is a completely different story for a different time.

So Noah had asked the waiter in the restaurant where he could get some wine, and was given directions to a Liquor Store down the road, and this is where we're heading.

I'm a little queasy abot the whole thing - while I'm not morally opposed to safe social drinking in moderation (drinking to get drunk, however, I am opposed to - both morally and intellectually), and seeing that those I knew in college most likely to drink at all are of the latter persuasion and are more likely to be purchasing kegs of beer than Fine Wine for a birthay celebration - I didn't have a frame of reference at all. I'd never been in a Liquor Store. The frame of reference for Liquor Stores are tales of shady establishments with scruffy, shot-gun holding clerks that always get robbed.

I'll never forget this one liquor store I kept passing when I walked to one of my classes Freshman year: it had a hand-written sign on the door that read "ROBBED. NOTHING LEFT."

I had always found that sign hilarious.

Still do, actually. And I don't know why.

So I don't know what I'd do when I get INTO this Mysterious Liquor Store - and Noah, the underage ball of energy that he is, couldn't very well be in there telling me what to purchase. I mean, would the workers there honestly believe me if I told them that, "Oh, I'm not buying it for him, I'm buying it for someone else's birthday, and I just simply don't know what I'm doing."

So I tell Noah I'd feel more comfortable purchasing the stuff at a Supermarket. He looks at me like I'm a dork (I am), and agrees -if we can find one.

On the way to where we think one is, we're stopped at a stoplight - right next to an accident that had just occured. I look out my window, and I see a girl getting out of the passanger side of the vehicle, gasping and gasping for breath as she grabs her asthma inhaler. I sit stunned for a second, and right as I'm about to leap out of the car to make sure she's okay, a guy (either her friend or her boyfriend) comes RUNNING around the corner and grabs her in a hug. The driver is out of the car and is already dialing (I assume) 911. Other are already approaching.

The light turns green. I drive.
Seeing the aftermath of an accident (even if the occupents both walked away from it looking relatively unharmed) was still sobering.

No pun intended.

We pull into the parking lot of a supermarket, and Noah gets out to check if it's still open.

It's not. It closed five minutes ago.

So he gets back in, and I reluctantly make my way (having to do a U-Turn right past the Accident) towards the Liquor Store.

We get out, and make our way in, as I brace myself for the Shotgun-carrying maniac I'm sure to encounter.

And instead find myself in what looks like a Sam's Club or Costco filled entirely with bottles. It's clean. and neat, and shiny.

There isn't a single shotfun in site. Or a revolver.

And the attendees are young, easygoing-looking types.

Who knew? [Dont Know]

So as my ignorance comes crashing down upon in waves of relief, we wander around, and find a decent bottle of what Noah tells me is pretty decent (this is sad), and he leaves I proveed to check out at the register with my $9.99 Bottle of Wine. I get carded, show my completely legitimate ID, and then make my way back to the car.

"Now let's get the hell out of here."

We did.

We arrive at the hotel, and find everyone in the Meeting Room. It appears that they annoyed the attendees into letting them in - which was in the end beneficial for all.

I send Noah upstairs with the Gift, so's to prepare it for Presentation. He goes on the quest to find a Corkscrew, and I decide to hang out in the meeting room for the time being.

Nobody's doing anything but lounging around, and I notice a dry-erase board just sitting there - with many multicolored markers there.

And people are asking 'what is there to do?!'

[Wall Bash]

Ahem. "Pictionary, guys. Gotta play Pictionary."

After about 10 minutes, people start to realize that playing Jatraquero pictionary could actually be pretty fun.

This is, of course, right after I left the room to find out what was taking Noah and his Stooges (Jeremy and Mark) so long.

Well, it turns out that there isn't a corkscrew anywhere in the hotel, and they're proceeding to try and PRY the cork out using - wait for it folks..

wait for it...

PAPERCLIPS.

[Confused]

[Laugh]

[ROFL]

They've aleady gone through about three, and they're straining like it's the hardest thing theyve ever done before in their life. If it wasn't so pathetic, it'd've been hilarious.

Bah, who'm I kidding. I was having a blast sitting there and watching them try (and fail) to pry this cork out.

they did, however, manage to rip the cork to shreds, and to give themselves friction burns.

[Evil Laugh]

I grow tired of this, and go back to Pictionary - which I hadn't known had actually begun.

And it's fun! [Eek!] As if the dinner wasn't an icebreaker enough, people are really loosening up now. We're throwing Jatraquero terminology around left and right - someone will say someone's name in jest and the entire room will start busting up in laughter.

Except for Ben, of course. He doesn't know WHAT the hell we're talking about.

After a few rounds, I go back tot he Wine Room to see if the Marx Brothers have figured out how to uncork the bottle yet.

They haven't. In fact they had sent someone to get more paperclips. Somehow, they had managed to break all the ones they already had. I point out that his Birthday will be coming to an end in 15 minutes.

they look at their watches. It is, in fact, 11:45-ish.

"We'll get it in time."

"Of course you will!" I say, not believing it for a moment, and head back to Pictionary de Jatraqueros.

"Is that a globe?"
"No, it's a map! A MAP!"
"What's it a map OF?"
"India?"
"Texas"
"Mars"
"Poland," I say with a grin. I know this one.
"Yes!" The BoardMaster exclaims, and then points to his second piece of explanatory art. But who needs it? I'll let someone else answer, though, becasue I'm not in the mood to draw - only guess.
"Poland-absolute-zero?"
"Kama! It's Kama!"
Yes! Someone gets it.
"Yes! You got it!"
"But what's that absolute-zero sign there for?"
"It means she doesn't exist. Poland -- and she doesn't exist. Get it?"
Of course we got it. That doesn't mean it made any sense.

The game went on a little longer (with such marvelous appearances being guessed at as "Bob Scopatz" and "DanRaven", and "The Silverblue Sun" - the last thanks to Yours Truly who finally decided to Give It A Go) until the Wine Boys finally succeeded (somehow), and brought in the goods. We sang Happy Birthday (with most people fizzling out when it came time to say his name - some said Russell, some said fugu, some didn't know WHO the hell he was and just mumbled, "Happy BIRTH-day to la laaaaaa...."), and then distributed the beverage in Paper Cups.

The Eagle, as they say, had landed.

As the consumption of The Gift by those not morally or religiously opposed began, Pictionary ended, and a new game - Apples To Apples - was about to begin...

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Seuss
Member # 2487

- posted      Profile for Dr. Seuss   Email Dr. Seuss         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, Brilliant. Your doing a great job.

Mark and I arrived somtime just before Noah and Dave got back with their bottle of wine.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*

Before I thought of using paperclips, we tried to pry it out with a swiss army knife. NOT a good idea.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That was MY swiss army knife - the knife that made it through five airport check points. It didn't work? *pats and talks to SAK* Were Noah and Dave mean to you? It's okay, little army knife. I know you tried.

-----------

Dave, this is wonderful. I read it aloud to Coccinelle and we almost cried from laughing.

[ January 26, 2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! I made it to the pictionary!

[Cool]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
i have a few pics up, but since we seem to have lost one roll of film, they're not complete.

http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/usr-Kwsni?&page=2

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Just compressed a short video of fencing.

Thought people would like to see it...
http://r4v3n.com/video

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

PART IV: Apples, Sticks, Ore and Sheep. Lots and lots of Sheep.

Almost exactly a week prior, one of my friends from the Atlanta area had come down to Savannah to visit his old schoolmates at SCAD. We had some good times, saw a couple movies (Last Samurai and American Splendor), ate Sushi (and unagi), drove over the Georgia/South Carolina border shouting out the window at the top of our lungs at the very moment we reached the top of the bridge (a tradition), and then retired to a girl named Lyla's place to play a game I'd never heard of before.

Apples to Apples.

This is the perfect game to play between friends (drunk or sober) when you're just feeling silly, and are too lazy to do anything physically productive.

It's also a great icebreaker.

In short, you're dealt a hand of noun cards, and you have to match one with the dealer's flipped Adjective Card in a way that they (the dealer) would find your choice the most appropriate, inappropriate, funny, or just plain zany.

Sound random? Oh...it's random.

But Jatraqueros are random folk, so what better game to play with a room full of 'em following the digestion of Mexican Food, concurrent with a little consumption of wine?

Pin the tail on the jackass.

But nobody had any pins -or a donkey tail- , and nobody wanted to start the weekend off by calling ANYONE a Jackass (although I'm sure Mack and Lindsay had a contender in mind after the Nose Blow Incident), so Apples to Apples had to suffice.

And suffice it did.

we played with a much larger group than the game makers probably ever intended to play simultaneously, but that was a bit of the fun of it. We made a Jatraquero House Rule that only the first five cards set down would be in the running for The Dealer's Choice, and the awarded point. This induced a Chum-in-shark-infested-waters-style frenzy.

And lordy, it was fantastic.

I forget who won -- it might have been me --, but this is a game where winning doesn't matter at all. It's a game where the means is more entertaining then the ends - because the ends just means that we've run out of means.

In less confusing terms - when the game's over, it means we're left confused and befuddled as to what to do next.

I suggested the Hot Tub - but it turns out that there's a posted sign stating that the facility closed more than a few hours ago.

Well dang.

Anyway, during this time (and even during the prior game itself) some of our weaker compatriots had made their way to bed.

But as sleep is for the weak (read: smart people), Us Men (well, most of us - the Most Manly Of The Men) decided to not sleep, and to wander around the hotel, check email, Hatrack, etc. Doing nothing, basically, but doing it very very well.

And then it came to my attention that the game Settlers of Catan was on the premises.

Now unlike Apples, this was a game I'd only heard about. But the buzz has good. VERY good. And just a short time before, I'd had a friend tell me how much fun they'd had playing the game with a group, stating also that they played it for nearly 8 hours straight.

Ohhh...this was my kind of game.

So we grabbed some more players (bringing the total to 6), and made our way downstairs to Do This Thing.

For the uninitiated, Settlers is the game that would result if Monopoly and Risk got together and had a crackbaby.

All the jitters, and all the cravings without the illegality and brain damage.

But we were also involved in sleep deprevation, and some with a little bit of alcohol - so the experience was very much like that of a crackbaby afterall.

The game was tough. Nerves were tread upon, traitors uncovered, Robbers Kept Stealing My Wood, and I kept on getting bombarded with sheep I didn't want.

But in the end, thanks to mad talent and only a little luck, I reigned supreme.

Catan was mine mine mine.

Until breakfast, and the rematch, whence I quickly got my arse pounded into the ground.

It was midway into the Arse Poundage ( [Eek!] ) that we learned that the Great Wench Caravan had Arrived, containing Hobbes, Becky, Ken, and Our Fearless Leader, The Almighty Head Wench Herself, the Beautific Jenny "Andrea" Gardener.

While previously we only had one Beautific Acting Head Wench & Coordinator Extroadinaire in our own midsts with Olivia (bless her soul), the addition of the Official Head Wench to our crew somehow made it seem official now.

The problem with Officiality, however, is that now us males' duty as Wenchlings was now to be called into service.

While playing Settlers, we were the Men of The Hour - mainly because we were the only ones awake at those particular hours.

But now...with our Fellowship nearing completion...duty called.

And as all heroes must (according to Joseph Campbell), most of us Resisted The Call.

I mean, we were in the middle of a GAME! We had to resist!

But Nathan didn't.

Oh no, Nathan gladly took on his role as Wenchling, blatantly defying the Archetypal Hero's Journey.

Which means Campbell wouldn't consider him a hero. And that, folks, it what REALLY matters.

Real heroes resist the call, only to come back with a vengeance LATER (in the case of Star Wars, only after Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were burninated to an extra crispity crisp did Luke finally Give In, and Accept The Call With A Vengeance).

Or would Frodo have been a better example, given the Event? He certainly resisted. He tried to pass the ring off to Gandalf.

I mean, the only one who really didn't resist was Sam, and it's not like he's the hero of th--

Wait. Crap. Nevermind.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

I was one of those who slept. And slept early, at that. Now, I _had_ worked all night and driven all morning...you be the judge. [Wink]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Apples great? We use it as an ice-breaker game. Of course, we have to sort through and take out some of the custom cards in mixed company. Some friends filled out a blank deck for us as a wedding gift. *snicker*
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, it finally seems like it's over.

I just shipped the last of the left-behinds And, the special something for a certain someone. [Smile]

I'm so pleased to have finally discharged the last of WenchCon-related responsibilities.

Upon reflection, though, I think I have learned somee things about myself through this experience.

1). I'm not as evil as I'd like to believe. [Big Grin] I mean, I don't know it counts when you don't do something bad just because you don't WANT to, or if it has to be tempting for resisting it to be virtuous. [Dont Know] In any case, I was not tempted to do anything that even the 18 year-old-me would have found questionable. I actually found myself making notes like, Next year I will spell it out that there will be NO alcohol in the meeting room. I was naive to have thought it didn't need saying, I guess. But , there were young people there, and maybe I have become so much the Mom (read: stick in the mud) that I can't help but think of setting an example.

Gosh, I'm Old. [Wink]

2). When JaneX came around to give me a hug, saying , "Mom!" I was just flattened. Humbled, really, to think that even on Hatrack, where I never considered it, I may have become something like a role model. That is sobering, and I silently prayed to be worthy of her admiration. She's such a cool girl, I had to resist the urge to shake her and say, "PLEASE, don't look up to me-- I'm a bad example."

But I want to be a better one.

3). I am absolutely incoherent when sleepy.

4). As absolutely horribly stressful as it was for me at times, I kept thinking, "I'll do it THIS way next year." Heh. I'm barely recovered, and I already have plans. I wonder if there's a name for what's wrong with me. [Razz]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Olivia, WenchCon was perfect. I know what you mean - it just barely hit this week that's it's all over.
quote:
And, the special something for a certain someone.
So Noah's getting his tape? [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

The only tape Noah's getting from me is of the Duct variety, applied topically to the facial area just below the nose. [Razz]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You're sending me the mail bomb NOW?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yes, sweet. Priority Mail.

Sorry it took so long. I meant to do it yeasterday, and it has actually been in my car since Friday, when I went to the shipping place without printing out your address. (insert dazed and confused icon here).

You should get it by Friday or Saturday at the latest. The case had a Manchester optical place name on it, so it had better be yours. [Wink]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you at least send the glasses and bomb separately? [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, the special something for a certain someone.
I know what she means (secret smile)...I think. [Smile]

[ January 27, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a mail order bride? Because if it is I have no interest in that.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2). When JaneX came around to give me a hug, saying , "Mom!" I was just flattened. Humbled, really, to think that even on Hatrack, where I never considered it, I may have become something like a role model. That is sobering, and I silently prayed to be worthy of her admiration. She's such a cool girl, I had to resist the urge to shake her and say, "PLEASE, don't look up to me-- I'm a bad example."
I don't know about role model...I don't really have anything like a role model. I may try to emulate little things I like in various people, but mostly I'm just myself.

So you don't need to worry about setting a bad example for me - or a good one, for that matter. I follow my own example. [Big Grin]

~Jane~

[ January 27, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: JaneX ]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I mean, look what kind of influence I have on her!
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to duct tape my fingers now, instead of my mouth?
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

[Angst]
Olivet
Member # 1104

JaneX, I'm glad. And that's why I like you, because you really ARE your own person. I wish I had been so self-possessed at your age. [Smile]

Noah, I don't even know what you meant by that, and I'm glad. [Big Grin]

What I meant about being shocked about being a good person... I mean, I used to be the sort of person who would say something cruel or scathing because it would be funny. You know, to get the laugh. Not so much anymore. And it never even occurred to me NOT to do Noah's laundry, or to say to anyone the whole time, "Sorry, not my problem."

Maybe it's not being a good person so much just being a mom to the bone. I think I always have been a nurturer at heart, even though I have gone to great lengths to prove otherwise in the past. Even in grade school, the little kids always gathered to me because I'd play with them, pretend to be their mommy or the princess they had to protect. God, I'm sucha girl.

And I told you guys about the doggy biscuit story. That was a story of temptation to do something bad. But I was not tempted at all to be snide or belittling to anyone, no matter how annoying. Either I'm turning good or I've lost my edge. [Wink] Maybe both.

BTW, Next year, would anybody be interested in an Art workshop? Where we could share drawings and techniques with each other? I'd be up for that. I know Hatrack has some swell artists that I'd love to learn from. [Smile] (I know most of the stuff we talked about doing, and most of the prizes and whatnot, were girly things. But it isn't called WenchCon for nothing. [Big Grin] )

katharina
Member # 827

Olivia, I'm pretty sure Noah is referring to the current method of communication, which uses fingers more than mouths.

But the horror is pretty funny. [Razz]

[ January 28, 2004, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat: It was just as good before the edit!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*grin*

I'm mailing my hard drive to you tomorrow, I swear. I had to hunt up the computer box - I'd put it away when I moved.

You are such a sweetie for doing this. [Smile] [Smile]

Zevlag
Member # 1405

Great! Glad you found it.

It really isn't a big deal. I'm glad to do so!

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

But Noah has never typed anything that really annoys me. [Razz]
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Yeah, I was talking about typing.
katharina
Member # 827

I kind of miss Noah being around and willing to say anything. It was very fun, and he's (you're) very sweet. No harm, no foul, no duct tape.

[ January 29, 2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that we never finished the conversation we started in the elevator, Noah! I'm doing much better now anyway, but if you're still curious you can IM me.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Just wanted to add, I really had a great time at WenchCon, and everyone who showed up rocks! (Even if it only because all y'all were able to put up with me [Wink] ).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

You were easy to put up with.

Now, this Ben fellow....

Taalcon
Member # 839

PART V: Movie Madness - Part 1:EE

Let me clarify something first.

I, along with the other Wenchlings who I claimed 'resisted the call' did, in fact, all valiantly rush out the door to unload the WenchMobile the moment we knew it had arrived. We all carried suitcases and assorted luggagery. It was only after this primary task (a labor of love) and after we had returned to our game when One was commanded to fetch breakfast.

This - when the luggage of the Head Wench & Co was firmly in place at the Hotel - is when the Fellowship was gathered, and when the Adventure Began.

And when we Resisted the Call.

However, following the completion of the game (which Hobbes substituted in for Josh for a god while), and when the other Attendees of the Fellowship began to awaken from their Beauty Sleeps -- this, THIS is when we finally followed the next path of the Hero's Journey and Heeded the Call.

Most of us did this by getting Olivia's breakfast. It was requested of us, and we didn't know what she wanted, so all of us Heroic Types proceeded to each grab a plate, and fill it with something different. (I provided toast with a veritable buffet of spread options, as well as a side of muffins.)

Nathan may have helped at this point too, but that doesn't matter. He never resisted the call, so his Heroship is still - at least at this moment in the Festivities - a moot point. Sorry bro. Take it up with JC (Joseph Campbell) if you don't like it. Or George Lucas. They're, like, tight.

So after breakfast (which I delivered joyously on socks, sliding accross the slippery floor a la Tom Cruise in Risky Business - sans shades), we had the Opening Ceremonies.

As the machinery was fiddled around with for a short while, I went up to my hotel room, grabbed two pillows, and returned to the meeting room where the machinery was STILL being fiddled with. I threw the pillows to the ground in front of the first row of seats, and then lay down myself.

Yes, both of the pillows were for me. I'm selfish that way.

Seeing as it looked like they were going to start the movie without any kind of pomp or ceremony, I shouted out that we needed an Opening Address by the Head Wench. This brought cheers of agreement, and Andrea took the stage.

She welcomed us, told us the Plan of the Day, and showed off her Ever Sexy Boots for admiration and photographs.

Then the DVD was put in, the sound turned up, the lights turned down, and THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING:EE had begun....

...without any sound. It was stated that we didn't need the sound, that there were sure to be enough of us geeks there to quote the entire opening narration (and to hum the musical score) by memory - but we wanted the Official Soundtrack, dangit - and after a little bit of fiddling, the sound was fixed, we re-started the film, and, once again, THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: EE had begun....

...and then froze after a couple of minutes.

Apparantly there was either some dust, drool, or lipstick on the disc, and it had to be wiped off.

This was done, and finally, finally FINALLY --- the movie began and proceeded to the intemrission without too many more technical interruptions.

Interruptions from the audience, however, are a different matter entirely.

But you already knew that from reading the CONTEXT MAY OR NOT BE EVERYTHING 2.0 thread. We are a zany, geeky, naughty bunch. And we had a blast.

We'd have made Tom Servo proud.

Not Crow, though. He's always been a little hard to please.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

K.A.M.A.
Member # 6045

- posted      Profile for K.A.M.A.           Edit/Delete Post 
Taal needs to come to Chicago to write an account of KamaCon.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Taal, you are the greatest. I was actually impressed by the sheer VOLUME of breakfast options given me. It sort of made me wonder if I looked like the sort who could eat that much. [Wink] But the toast was delicious.

Oh, and Noah-- You are a sweetie, and I hope you know I was only teasin' you, baby doll. [Wink]

Hobbes
Member # 433

He did... until you called him "baby doll".

Hobbes [Smile]

Olivet
Member # 1104

That was part of the teasin', huggy bear. [Razz]
katharina
Member # 827

Taalcon, the recaps are brilliant. I feel like I was there.

[ January 29, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Hey! I'm a tiger!

Hobbes [Smile]

Zevlag
Member # 1405

But Katharina, you WERE there for most of it [Wink]
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
*waits impatiently for chapter 6. taps his foot and crosses his arms Sonic The Hedgehog style*

...and i've been away a few days so couldnt respond sooner...i'm not a jackass...noseblows open doors for people. enough time hasnt passed yet is all.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Glad you guys are enjoying my Rant of Remembrance. I'm sure to be leaving out things, and perhaps when it's completed I'll have a special 'Deleted Scenes & Random Musings' bumper post to catch some things that may have fallen by the wayside.

But enough with that, what you want is...

PART VI: Movie Madness Part 2 - Food Fit For Kings, The Pillow Thief, and Bum-Paddage

Noah had never seen the Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition before that day.

And to the best of my knowledge, he still hasn't seen it.

You will notice that up until the Dinner Episode, there will be a distinct lack of Noah-related anecdotes, mostly due to the fact that he was OUT COLD sleeping through the presentation of the films.

*sigh*

Anywho...

At the Intermission of FOTR:EE, someone decided to flip the lights on without giving us any warning, sending lightning bolts of photoinduced pain searing through our skulls.

Whoever you were -- thanks. Thanks a lot. [Grumble]

But is also gave us an excuse to gut up and walks around and stretch our legs before setting back down and Continuing the Journey.

After the film ended, it was then Lunch Time. And wow, what a lunch. There were wonderful pastas, salads, mini-cream-pies - and more I know I'm forgetting. Kudos to EVERYONE involved in this meal. The provisions for meals by the Wenches put to shame our measley delivery-boy service earlier.

We were...humbled.

But we still ate like Norsemen. And I think Norsemen eat a lot.

Or at least they made a mess when they ate. Which we probably did too.

Come to think of it, I don't know anything at all about the dietary habits of Norsemen. I just thought it sounded clever. We can't all have our winners, eh?

*ahem*

[Dont Know]

So after digging into the meal, it was then time to Dig Into The Two Towers: EE.

I had wandered upstairs to check my email (and Hatrack) briefly first. Noah was still out cold. No motion at all. He looks kind of dead when he sleeps. And if I wasn't in a such a hurry to get back to TTT, I may have been concerned.

But I wasn't.

But all my tiptoing around slowly and softly not to wake him caused me to walk into the movie late, missing the Balrog Ent'ract.

[Mad]

But, surprisingly, My Pillow Spot was still open, right next to Josh. I was amazed at the courtesy lent by these wonderful people. It was a prime spot, right in front of the television, and with two specially-fluffed pillows. So I took my spot, and stretched out.

"Uh...Okay...go ahead and take my spot," came a preturbed female voice towards me. It was dark, so I couldn't tell who it was (Becky?), but I didn't waste anytime in leaping up, sputtering out an apology, and grabbing two chairs to lie accross, far AWAY from The Spot.

Because as all men know, Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned.

Plus I didn't want to risk the chance that it was Jamie I'd PO'd. [Angst]

You know, I guess I deserved the Shoutage. I mean, everybody knows the adage 'Move Your Feet Lose Your Seat' - and I had decidedly moved my feet.

But then again, so had she...that's how I got BACK into The Spot in the first place.

I guess it just all goes down to that I have a fear of Angry Wenches Beating Me Up. Plain and simple.

'cause they could SO take me down. No doubt about it. Plus SOME particular Wenches came attatched to People With Swords.

NEVER piss off Wenches with access to swords.
Write that down. Memorize it. Place it on a pass-a-long card with a picture of cute puppies to distribute to friends. You could save lives.

Either way, the chairs I ended up using as my cot were pretty comfortable in their own right, and they provided much appreciated bum-paddage.

Oh yeah.

The movie played, we razzed it, laughed, giggled, took unintended 5 minute naps, etc.

During intermission there was a short screening of the Gollum MTV Award Easter Egg. The fact that they got away with a Landmark Achievement of Acting and Animation literally flipping off MTV and telling them that they sucked during their own award show - and got APPLAUSE for it - just makes me grin all foolish-like.

Part two continued, ended, and then soon after we were hingry again. But where to go?

It was suggested that we go to the Macaroni Grille, 'cause it was close. This was agreed to, and, after a false start at walking there (it was freezing and starting to rain a little bit), the decision to drive was made.

I agreed to drive "some people", and soon ended up with Noah, Katie, Lindsay, Jeremy, and Shlomo in my car.

Now, apart from myself, my car normally comfortably seats 4 additional people.

But this time, I had tons of crap in the back od my car, which gave the three in back no leg room.

And Katie (poor lass) ended up having to sit on Noah's lap.

There was complaining, and there was moaning (Noah), but I figured it'd all be okay because, hey. The Macaroni Grille sign was just around the corner. I could see it from there. Just a short drive there and back, no harm in that, right?

...Right?

A scene from the film Willow now comes to mind: The brownie Rool says to Willow, "With us as your guide no harm will befall you!" -- smashcut to a wet, miserable muddy Tavern of Death.

Folks, I count them lucky for have made it to a tavern at all...

But do you remember the crazy, exciting but dangerous cart/chariot race that followed? With the swords, throwing stars, and awesome score?Yup. That's more like what happened to us.

Although without the cool weaponry and music.

And no Val Kilmer. For which I apologize to the ladies. All they got was me and Noah. And some got more of Noah then was probably decent or legal in the state of Georgia.

[Angst]

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

[ January 30, 2004, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Olivet
Member # 1104

Noah Can't help Spreading The Love. [ROFL]

Hobbes, all you wee stuffed animals look alike to me. [Wink] Though I do remember the hug after I confessed to cat-squashing. [Cry] I really, really needed a hug at that point, and I thank you.

Annie, I swear I'm not in any way hitting on your tiger. He was nice to me, is all. A perfect gentleman. Lucky girl. [Smile] He soprt of reminded me of Ron-- tall and quiet and kind (though not nearly so drop-dead gorgeous [Wink] )

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Heyyyyy, thanks. It's here.

*overcome

[Blushing]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yay! She got it, guys!

And the back is all clear for other 'rackers to sign! [Kiss] [The Wave]

[Group Hug]

Taalcon
Member # 839

PART VII: Lost In Trepidation

Actually, let me change one thing that I mentioned above. We DID have some epic music...there was a point where I felt some levity and additional fun was needed, so I played OH FORTUNA from Orff's Carmina Burana. It elicited laughter and fear.

But we're jumping ahead.

There are two main ways to exit the Hotel - the way I came in, which was to drive past the Arcade/Bowling place, and then there were Back Roads. Since the back roads were the way I'd went before when traipsing around with Noah to find the Liquor Store, that was what I was comfortable with, and thus was the way we went.

That - was my first mistake.

I realized right away upon entering the back roads that having a car filled beyond-capacity on slippery roads wasn't the wisest of decisions. I mean, I could barely see out of any of my rear windows.

For the record, though, I do have a fairly infamous history of overstocking my cars with people. My 2002 Saturn SL (Manual shift) is the third car I've owned.

My first car was a 1989 Plymouth Horizon that I inherited from an old Missionary woman at my church who died. She had made clear to her daughter that I - her Pastor's son - was to have the car.

So that was pretty awesome. I got my first car for free. It wasn't a beut, but it WAS a car. And going off to college, I was going to need one. It was quite the godsend.

So of course a little over a month after I get my licence (On December 23rd after doing some last minute Christmas shopping) I drive in my first snow, skid, and fender-bender someone, cracking my own front grille as well as a headlight.

The moral of the story being - don't put off your Christmas shopping.

[Grumble]

Anyway that Car did eventually make it to school, and when I became friends with people Without Cars, I became the Chief Chauffeur. And there were MANY times when the car was filled way beyond what was probably legal capacity. People on laps, etc. The fun addition to this was the fact that after a couple of years, half of the doors decided that they no longer felt the desire to open. So if, heaven forbid, someone HAD caused my clown-car (which we dubbed the Hamstermobile for the squeaking sound the engine made) to be in an accident - very few of my passengers/friends would be able to easily exit the vehicle. It was a pretty bad situation.

But they didn't have cars of their own, so they delt.

*ahem*

Cut to two cars later (I eventually killed the Plymouth, due to a break malfunction. My next car, a 1994 Saturn SL2, committed sepukku the day I returned from EnderCon - and I didn't even USE it for the EnderCon Oddyssey! I flew to Minnesota and used OLLIE'S car for heaven's sake!), and we're back at WenchCon, in the rain, with a car full of uncomfortable people, and visibilty is LOW.

And when we pull into traffic, it's CRAZY. Everybody and their brother is out driving tonight, and just merging into a lane is a chore. Heck, it'd've been a chore even if I could've seen what was going on. But as it was, no such luck. My passengers were my eyes.

Cue the Carmina Burana.

Gladly, I got in a lane, and saw the MACARONI GRILLE sign ahead. I drove past a few lights to get to the corer where the sign was, and then, as the light turned green, I took a right, presumably to turn into the restaurant....

"Dave, why did you turn onto the freeway?"
"I thought...the sign was right there."
"We're on the freeway."
"I can see that. the sign was wrong."
"There was another sign that said this was the way to the freeway."
"I didn't see that sign, I saw the Macaroni Grille sign. It was right there."
"So was the freeway sign. It was green."
"The Macaroni Grille sign was bigger, and it was lit up!"
"Are we lost?"
"No, Shlomo, I'll just take the next exit, turn around, and we'll be right back where we need to be."
"What if the next exit takes us to another freeway? Or an interstate Highway?"
"It won't. We'll be able to turn around."
"People are going to start wondering where we are,"
"Don't worry about it."
"This is AWESOME."
"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, Noah."
"...."
"You okay, Katie?"
"Umm, here's an exit, but..."
"Good! See, now we can turn around."
"...Dave?"
"Yeah."
"We're on the Interstate."
"....Yes. I can see that."
"Hello? Yeah. I don't know where we are. We're lost."
"Who'se on the phone?"
"Shhh!"
"Oh, Lord, they're gonna think I kidnapped you."
"Shhh! What? We're on the interstate."
"Ah! Here's another exit. I'll take this. I'll surely be able to turn around on this one."
"That's what you said at the LAST exit!"
"...."
"Noah, behave."
*giggle*
"Do you know where we're going?"
"Yes, Shlomo, I know where we're going. Now HUSH."
"He doesn't really."
"HUSH."
"Ah, look, see? Over there? It's a turn signal! I can turn around to get back! Haha! Take THAT!"
"Dave?"
*sigh* "Yes?"
"They said there's too many people at the Macaroni Grille and that we can just go anywhere to pick up something, as long as its quick so we can get ready for the movie afterwards."

DOOM.

I eventually got myself back to the main road. But my mood had shifted to that of just wanting to stop somewhere and let people out of my car. Not only did I have miserable CRAMPED people in my car, I had miserable cramped FRIGHTENED people in my car.

This is something you do NOT want to have.

But it wasn't my first time in this kind of situation. So I delt with it. Valiently.

In the Hero's Journey, I had gone on a Quest - I had left the Ordinary World, and entered a New Scary Place - the greatest challenge was overcome, but the objective still was not completed...

We decided to find a fast food place, and after a bit of searching, we finally decided that half the group wanted Quiznos, and the other half (including me) wanted Wendys. We found a spot that had both, and then we exeunt, and, relieved that we had all survived, went on to eat.

I ordered a 99-cent Junior Bacon Cheeseburger, and it was the most wonderul thing I had ever tasted.

Waht you say?

It was Because I was alive. Food you eat after near-death experiences (hyperbole?) seem to taste a lot better than they really are. Even Tofu, or a Boca Burger could've equaled Gourmet Lasagna at that point.

Oh sweet, sweet life. Life with Bacon.

But now we were in a race with the clock and eat to get back in time to 'prepare' for Return of the King...and I still had to get all these people back in my car to get them back at the Hotel. Would we make it back unscathed?

Probably.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

[ January 31, 2004, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.