FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » God loveth whom He chasteneth

Author Topic: God loveth whom He chasteneth
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, aren't I the unstable one today? First a title change, then I delete the thread, and then I recreate it. . .

It was Honey Nut Cheerios that changed my mind. I'm sitting beside my adorable 9 month old daughter, watching her snarf her favorite snack. I don't know what it was, but I began reevaluating what I'd posted, and what purposes I posted it for.

And I saw, very clearly, that there was no way that some of the people who have my HIGHEST estimation on Hatrack could see the thread I created in anything but a poor light.

And even that shouldn't really matter to me, since you're all just virtual voices. . .

But it does.

So, until I figure out how to have the discussion in a non-pointed, non-offensive way. . . you're probably going to have to deal with this thread, which will quickly turn all lovey, and huggy, and nicey-nice.

Bleah.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
* [Grumble] s about people who delete threads just when I was trying to post a long, detailed reply*

*nabs a few Cheerios from the box*

*mellows*

(((((ScottR)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*has no idea what Scott is talking about*

(((Scott)))

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I thought the thread was fine. It posed interesting questions (that I couldn't add to), that were certainly thought provoking.

You're such a good hearted man, Scott. Must be the cheerios. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a revelation about Hatrack while reading a cereal box the other day. If only I could remember what it was about. You know, I had some kind of synthesis about some topic. I actually posted about it, but I think I left out the cereal box part.

I doubt I am one of the respected folks you refer to, but I thought your middle idea was interesting. Namely, how important is obedience in our relationship to God. This rested upon me last night as I was failing to sleep after a fight with my husband followed by a fight with my mom which was preceded by a lower grade fight with both of them two days ago. In between which was the funeral of my mom's mother.

So I'm laying there thinking "why do I feel like if I don't do what someone wants me to, they think I am worthless?" I guess it's really two questions:
1. Does this person value me if I don't do what they want?

2. Why would I assume they don't value me if I don't do what they want?

I hope this is apparent already, but how do these relationship dynamics apply to me and the Lord? If I don't do what He says (obey) am I of no worth to Him?

I guess what led to this thinking was that I'm a fairly religious person right now, but I have family who are not, and I think they actually felt bad about the scattered religious references in the funeral. I imagine they feel toward the Lord they way I feel toward some people sometimes.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what's wrong with questioning another person's religion. It's no worse than quesitoning someone's political views, etc.

(Besides, we've already had a thread where people were outright attacking the religious belief that you can kill people to save their soul from demons.)

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the original discussion about?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Tres, there's questioning and then there's questioning.

Some people pose questions simply for the purpose of putting a person on the defensive. "How can you believe in a God that would kill everyone on the planet except one family?" as opposed to "Do you think the stories in the Bible are literally true or allegorical? Like, say Noah's story, for example?"

Edited to add that I thought Scott's questions were more in the second category than the first. Curiosity, more than anything else.

[ January 21, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, jeni, but those are two completely different questions.

The first has to do with the morality of God. The second has to do with the accuracy of the Bible.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I see them as essentially the same question, but where the first question is intended to offend, the second gives the questionee the benefit of the doubt.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So I'm laying there thinking "why do I feel like if I don't do what someone wants me to, they think I am worthless?" I guess it's really two questions:
1. Does this person value me if I don't do what they want?

2. Why would I assume they don't value me if I don't do what they want?

I think God loves us all, good, bad, ugly, and Lalo. [Smile] But He can only establish strong relationships with those who obey Him. That is what I think the commandments are for-- to make us like God, so we can understand Him.

On your point #2, C.S. Lewis said that God uses us all. We can choose to be tools, as Lucifer and Judas were; or sons, like Christ and Peter. I'm not really sure how I feel about that yet, but I throw it out there for your evalauation.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure, Scott, but I think you may have just called Lalo sexy.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think I see what you're saying. About God. Not Lalo.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
If some people are tools, and some are sons, I think I am the Pepper shaker in God's spice rack.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
<wishes she could puzzle out what the thread was about from what is posted here>

I'm not a tool, I'm a servant. While it may seem demeaning to be a servant to somebody else, to some fallible person, for instance, I'm actually reaching far above myself trying to be a servant to God, who is so much smarter and better than I am. Looking at how most things I attempt turn out, I have to think I am a pretty profitless servant, all in all. If I were He I would probably fire me. So I guess it shows that He looks on me as more than a hireling, He must look upon me as a daughter or beloved pet, or something, since He continues to put up with me, and love and comfort me, and try to teach me, despite my rather sad showing.

Eventually I do hope I can be of some real use.

I wonder what this topic was about. [Smile]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.