FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game II -- Round Eleven

Author Topic: Guess the Author Game II -- Round Eleven
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Links to the first season

and this season, Rounds One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, and Ten.

quote:
On hot nights, Ellie sits out the front. From her chair on the deck she watches the sunset. She watches the stars drift into their nightly vigil, mindless of the numbing incomprehension of distance between her and them. She hears the Michaelsons, three doors down, fighting in their kitchen again, until eventually he storms out and hurtles away in his car. He’ll be back later. Drunk.

On hot nights, the air seems to acquire a thickness, a sort of living heaviness that wraps itself around her, embracing Ellie completely, suffocatingly. She breathes the darkness and wonders if the baby feels the heaviness too. Without realising it, her hands rest lightly on her belly.

Her mother brings her food, but the heat has left her without appetite, and the smell stirs deep nausea inside her.

When the night-wind finally stirs through the neighbourhood, its cool fingers are like the touch of a lover.

On hot nights, Ellie dreams.

[ January 21, 2004, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The guess from list:

advice for robots . . . . . . . Gottmorder . . . . . . . rivka . .
Annie. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Icarus . . . . . . . . . . . . Ryuko
BannaOJ.. . . . . . . . . . .. . imogen . . . . . . . . . . . sarahdipity
beatnix19. . . . . . .. . . . . . Irami . . . . . . . . . . . . saxon75
BelladonnaOrchid . . . . . Jaiden . . . . . . . . . . . . ScottR
Belle . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . JaneX . . . . . . . . . . . . scythrop.
Bob_Scopatz . . . . . . . . . jeniwren . . . . . . . . .. Sopwith
Brinestone . . . . . . . . . . . .Jenny Gardener . . . . sndrake
Celia60. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Jon Boy .. . . . . . . . . . Strider
Chris Bridges.. . . . . . . . . katharina . . . . . . . . . . T_Smith
Christy. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . Leonide. . . . . . . . . . . . Teshi
Dan_raven. . . . . . . . . . . :Locke . .. . . . . . . . . . . Tresopax
Dante . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ludosti . . . . . . . . . . . . Tristan
dkw . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . mackillian.. . . . . .. . . . . Troubadour
Dragon. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nick. . . . . . . . . . . . . . TomDavidson
eslaine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Papa Moose . . . . . . . . twinky

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
mackillian, that is so her. Well written and evocative. with themes of violence and escape.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Scoring:

Two points for providing critique. Critique must be more substantial than “I like it” or “good flow.” If I’m not sure if something counts as critique, I’ll award one point. Critique points can be earned even after the round is officially over.

One point for guessing, with reason given for the guesses. No points for subsequent guesses, unless you guess right. You can guess as many times as you want each round, but one guess at a time. (You can guess again after I answer your outstanding guess.)

Five points for the correct guess.

Score to date:

Jeni: 30
Tom Davidson: 21
Bob Scopatz: 20
advice for robots: 18
Tristan: 18
ScottR: 18
rivka: 17
Julie: 16
beatnix19: 14
Saxon75: 14
Teshi: 12
Belle: 11
Brinestone: 10
Sopwith: 10
BannaOJ: 10
Scythrop: 9
Ryuko: 8
imogen: 7
Dan Raven: 7
Icarus: 7
Dragon: 7
Ophelia: 6
esl: 6
Celia60: 5
Leonide: 4
eslaine: 4
Irami: 4
sarcasticmuppet: 3
Jaiden: 3
sarahdipity: 3
JonBoy: 3
Tresopax: 3
Christy: 3
Zalmoxis: 2
T-Smith: 2
Annie: 2
Noemon: 1
Morbo: 1
Belladona Orchid: 1

dkw
Member # 3264

Banna -- quick, but wrong.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess me, to get me out of the way... >_<
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, a real guess this time...

Seems like a young to middle-aged woman to me, because of the main character and the attention to details... It's very relaxing despite the themes that are put forth. It's really very beautiful, and I wonder what it leads up to. It's a great introductory paragraph, really. It pulls you in.

The only problem I see is the liberal peppering of commas. This is something I'm trying to fix about my own writing so it really sticks out to me...

But for some reason, I'm thinking it's Annie.

[ January 21, 2004, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

well I haven't been right yet... but I had to try!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. The style is very lyrical and, forgive the pun, pregnant with emotion. The characterization is subtle but very effective. The pacing is good. A very well-constructed scene.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'm deeply interested in reading more. I can't find anything really wrong with it, but I just don't feel that interested in the story. There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency. In fact, it's difficult to discern much of a plot.

I'd imagine that this is the intro to a long story, or perhaps an internal chapter intro. Given the quality of the writing, I might like the story, but it feels like the kind I might have to make myself get into. Not that this makes it bad; at the risk of sounding sexist, I would imagine that this might appeal more to a woman.

One last thing:
quote:
She watches the stars drift into their nightly vigil, mindless of the numbing incomprehension of distance between her and them.
Can I get a grammar nazi's ruling on this sentence? The "her and them" may be right, but for some reason it sounds weird to me.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, hot nights and decks. Sounds like the South.

Ellie seems to most likely be young and single. Her mother is there, and if the wind feels like a lover, that implies the lack of a flesh-and-blood one.

This does a good job of evoking a mood -- I can almost hear the neighbors, feel the clinging humidity. The introduction of the baby works well; a smooth segue.

ScottR?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

mack says it is troubadour based on the spelling of realized realise and a couple of other little things that a Canadian would do.

she's being lazy so I'm submiiting this guess on her behalf.

AJ

[ January 21, 2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Troubadour is Australian, isn't he?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, it seems I've missed a couple rounds somewhere.

Well, I really like this, especially the middle couple paragraphs. The one thing that bothers me about the piece is the "her and him" bit. It threw me off. Also, it sounds good alone, but I'm not really sure how well it would tie into a larger story. Because of the spelling, and because I think he could probably pull this off, I'll go with Tristan.

Oh yeah, I'm not too positive about the hyphenated "night-wind," but I could be wrong there, as I can never figure out what is supposed to be hyphenated or not.

[ January 21, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

How about grammar court? Will that do?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. It kind of reminds me of Tennessee Williams. I guess rivka. Don't ask me why.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Another thing: I usually don't like the use of the present tense—I tend to find it pretentious—but it works here. It gives the passage a sort of poetic, dream-like quality. However, I don't know that I'd be able to read a whole novel written that way.
Der Grammatikfuehrer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can I get a grammar nazi's ruling on this sentence? The "her and them" may be right, but for some reason it sounds weird to me.
Der Grammatikfuehrer rules in favor of "her and them." It's perfectly good, grammatically correct English.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No to everybody.
Jeni
Member # 1454

In that case, I think someone is trying to fool us with tricky spelling!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Even der Grammatikfuehrer? [Wink]

Ok, I'm embarrassed that I missed the UK/Canada/etc spellings, but now that they've been pointed out, I guess, hmm, twinky?

[Edit: was responding to dkw]

[ January 21, 2004, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
But YES to Troubs being from Australia. Don't y'all know that by now? [Wink] [Big Grin]

I really liked this snippet, very evocative and I liked the repitition of "on hot nights." It does sound exactly, or would almost certainly have to be, the opening chapter of a novel or beginning to a short story. The repitition and introduction of character, setting and conflict (oop, young single girl with baby!) are too jammed-packed into so few lines for it to be anything but, imo.

I think i would have said "nausea deep inside her" not "deep nausea inside her." ...it just sounds kind of funny to my ear. And did you mean "out the front"? Is that a southernism, or a foreignerism? Cause if by that you mean "out on the front porch, i've never heard it put quite that way before.

Interestingly, I didn't think this was a woman initially. My first thought was Tom_D because this reminds me of the woman drinking tea passage he wrote for the last round of the game. I hesitate to guess him because it's not the whole passage that reminds me of him...

Based on the strange wording, I'm going to guess imogen

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Actually, I guess Teshi, for the same reasons as before.

Forgot we have so many international folks on this board...

[ January 21, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Nope and nope.
Jeni
Member # 1454

Last guess before I start to feel bad about using the same reasoning - scythrop.
rivka
Member # 4859

It's time for:

The All New, Not Particularly Improved, Already Guessed and "No"ed List:

mack
Ryuko? (not sure if this was really guessed OR really "no"ed)
Annie
ScottR
Troubadour
Tristan
rivka
twinky
imogen
Teshi? (was she "no"ed too?)

And I guess: saxon75, who will thus go on the

Guessed but Not Yet Answered List:
Scythrop
saxon75
Jaiden

[ January 22, 2004, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
My second and final guess, because i too don't want to ride the coattails of my reasoning -- not Tristan cause he's already been guessed and I'm a big silly head.

[ January 21, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I guessed Tristan...
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. Very poetic. Like Rivka, I'm getting associations to the South, although I guess "hot nights" could be an Australian thing too. The spelling of "realising" is, as several people have pointed out, British (as is "neighbourhood"), but non-US authors left on the list are running out. However, it could be a deliberate attempt to throw us off, or simply a mistake (although more than one is reaching, I suppose).

I'm trying to figure out something to complain about, but am having little luck. Actually, I wouldn't change a thing. So I'm going to guess instead. I have several names I think may have written this and which I'd like to be first to guess, but the spelling thing is such an important clue so I have to exhaust the non-US names first.

Jaiden.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like. It's very poetic. A large part of that is the substantial use of commas and especially the last sentence. And the whole excerpt just feels like a poem with all the description of the night and the air.

Having said that, I must also add that I'm not much of a poetry person. So I'm not too inclined to read the rest. The trade-off for that is the name. I know someone who goes by Ellie and would probably read as much as I could just because of that. After we guess correctly, author, why'd you choose that name?

Anyway, even though I don't like poetry that much I still like the piece.. It's good that you use the pronoun more than the name. Um, thanks for sharing, Irami?

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for not putting my hand up a little sooner -I'm in transit at the moment and this is being typed in the qantas lounge at Singapore airport...

Well done Jeni (again!) It was me. Thanks all for the comments, too... yet another quick round by the looks of things!

This piece is actually an adaptation of a chapter intro from my book "fireshadow" which I finished late last year. It is from the middle of the book, and comes from one small section which is written in first person (I also can't handle too much present tense in the one story).

Other people who got it right on the money were Ryuko - I do use, far too many, commas. This is something that systematically drives my editor mad. Also, congrats to Rivka who identified the protagonist as a young single mum - again, right on the money, and Leonide whose initial assessment of my gender was also gratifyingly accurate. (just out of curiosity, what gave this away?)

Anyway - thanks again for all the lovely comments, I'll try to post a little more regularly when I get back to OZ

Cheers

tony

Edited to add some commas and stuff...

[ January 22, 2004, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and esl - to be quite honest I'm not certain why I chose the name Ellie - the female protagonist of my book is in fact named Alice, but as I was playing around with this passage, and trying to imply a number of different themes, it didn't feel quite right to go with the same character. I guess I felt the name Ellie just kind of suited the type of person I had in mind (young, unmarried and pregnant in the stifling heat of an Australian summer)
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh.

Ahh.

I knew I should have posted yesterday. . . not that I would've guessed scy, or anything, but it always feels like cheating when I critique after the author's been guessed.

Everyone's commented on the strengths of this piece, and they are all correct.

This is an example of my biggest problem with the piece: ". . .mindless of the numbing incomprehension of distance between her and them."

What exactly does this mean? It made my eyes blur. Unfortunately, paired with the present tense usage, this piece DOES come off as slightly avant-garde. Which is a real pity, because the first paragraph is masterful. We get such CONTACT with the protagonist, the author generates such empathy for her in a matter of few words, and we STILL have to endure $50 turns of phrase.

That said, I'd continue to read the story, if there happened to be more of it.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
...and I miss another entire round!

Honestly, I'm going to have to start getting up at 3am if I want to play.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I missed most of this round. Don't worry Annie, next round in 5 minutes.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

my apologies for mixing Troubs and twinky.

Troubadour = Aussie
twinky = Canadian

And I wasn't even intoxicated at the time. I had major brain fryage from work yesterday so that is my excuse!

AJ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.