FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dean = Starcraft Overlord?

Author Topic: Dean = Starcraft Overlord?
pholly1
Member # 6110

- posted      Profile for pholly1   Email pholly1         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one that thinks Dean's "YaaaarrrGargle" sounds like a Zerg Overlord from Starcraft?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
*Incomprehensible Hydralisk language that roughly translates to 'Beats me'*
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It was remarkably bizarre.

I heard it on the road listening to Rush Limbaugh, though. Initially, I assumed it was faked.

[Confused]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed he was trying to yell YAAAAHHHH!! but his voice failed just after beginning the yell and it ended as a pirate call YEEE-AAAARRRRRR!!!
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw/heard it on live television right after the caucus. In context it really didn't seem that weird.

Then again, my friend and I were doing a conga line and chanting "caucus caucus caucus, caucus caucus caucus!" most of that afternoon and evening. So what do I know?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Caucus is one of those funny words, isn't it?

It was a funny thing to hear, but I think the media has blown it all out of proportion. I mean, it was right after the first really big, meaningful election event, and after all that campaigning and stress, the guy probably had about ten gallons of adrenaline to burn off. I'm sure he was frustrated and pretty worked up.

Granted, I wouldn't want the President of the United States to let loose with that kind of yell at the wrong moment, but I'm sure they all have it in them.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
...Not to mention, it was largely a rally the troops sort of speech, after a disappointing finish in Iowa.

Somehow I doubt that he'd let one out in the middle of a State of the Union address (although woudn't it be great to have a State of the Union pool with odds on when it would come?? [Smile] ).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Caucus is a fun word, but it’s also a fun event. And when I think how hyped-up we were, just from attending, I can’t even imagine what it must feel like to be a candidate.

The combination of adrenaline, sleep-deprivation, and incipient laryngitis seems sufficient to excuse a weird noise of two.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pretty strange speech, but it doesn't seem quite so off-the-wall when you watch a video clip. If you only listen to him, he sounds kind of like a rock star.

Can you imagine Bush doing something similar? "We're going to Afghanistan! And Iraq! And then we're going to New York to take back the UN! YEAAHHH!"

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the link to the .wav file or, better yet, an .mpg of Dean's performance?

dkw...conga line?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yeah. I think her daughter was about to shoot both of us.

She was definitely pretending not to know us.

Caucus caucus caucus! ::hipbump:: Caucus caucus caucus!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like fun. If only I knew how to dance. [Big Grin]

(j/k...actually I dance pretty well for a white guy).

[Razz]

You should see me do the "white overbite."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't only the weird yell, scream, thing, it was him listing off states with a bit too much energy and then expending the remaining enegry on his girlish scream.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with a little whoop of joy, but at the time my first reaction was embarrassment for the guy. It really was a strange sound to my ears, incongruous with the moment.

On the other hand, can you think of worse sounds he could have made? [Wink]

edited for word error

[ January 22, 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: screechowl ]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it actually sounded more like a Terran Marine's death scream than an Overlord.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

An enhanced and original version of the brief speech can be found here:

http://www.command-post.org/2004/2_archives/cat_dean.html

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
DEAN IS INSANE.

He snapped. He's been treated for depression before. Is this the man you want sitting across from Sharon, Putin, and other world leaders?

"Mr. President, I think that is not our wisest course of action."

" We'll we're gonna do it in Mosul, and Tikrit, and The West Bank and in Gaza YEARGH!"

Real Savvy

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You did watch the speech? He doesn't appear to have gone insane at all. I know many people on this board who have done sillier things; I've been around when they've done some of them (quite recently). They certainly aren't insane.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a big liberal board?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it, Lincoln was treated for depression repeatedly.

Jefferson was hardly a stable guy.

We've all heard about Kennedy being hopped up on all sorts of drugs, many of which were mood altering.

Aww, heck, I could just keep listing, but take a look here:

http://www.doctorzebra.com/prez/g_roster.htm

You should notice that many of our Presidents have had or at least shown many of the symptoms of mental illnesses of various kinds.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, that's the big scream (pun) everyone's been whining about?

Heh. It's strangled, but good lord. You really need to be reaching to use that against Dean. Rather sad that people can't find better excuses to condemn the man...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
See, that was just the sort of reason I really like Dean. He's the only candidate up there (except maybe Kucinich and Sharpton) who's not afraid to whoop when it's unpopular to do so. That's what it's going to take to beat Bush. You can't just give him all the issues that he's currently popular with - you have to go out and change minds.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not what its going to take to beat bush. Instead we need someone who can garner the most number of votes across the country, someone who doesn't face realities and has even more connections than Cheney and Rove. Dean's too darned intelligent and honest to ever have a chance. Iowa proved that once and for all. I'm already laying in provisions for another four years of darkness.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and Gentlemen,

By fqr the most humorous take on this whole debacle, if you can call it that, is this clip from the Daily Show.

And yes, this does contain a video of the offending section. Frankly,that man gets awfully excited, don't he.

http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.php?reposid=/multimedia/tds/headlines/8085.html

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh well, I don't have RealPlayer.

Don't want it either. It messes up my system every time I try to install it.

Arrrggghhh.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll vote for you, Bob, as long as you say what you really think and make funny noise words on public forums.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

We will take our campaign to Hatrack!

Yeeeearrrrrgggghhhhh..

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Then we really can change the world . . . one jatraquero at a time.

Yipppeeeeee!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.