FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To read or not to read, that is the question

Author Topic: To read or not to read, that is the question
Notorious Shira
Member # 6089

- posted      Profile for Notorious Shira   Email Notorious Shira         Edit/Delete Post 
well, im just thinking about reading Ender's Game again and i would like some refreshment of memory if anyone has any...i remember i liked the book and it was very technology-oriented. Help a soul out!
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it is very character oriented and the technology is nothing much deeper than you'd encounter in a good video game (hence the "Game" in the title).

It's got alien threat, kids, deep convictions, and a lot of interpersonal tension.

I love re-reading it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here. [Smile]

Or here.

[ January 22, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I know that if I liked a book well, I reread it when I have a lot of spare time (such as work!). However, since I know how it ends, I get even more worked up, like, "NO! DON'T DO IT! IT'S A TRAP!" and so on.

Plus, the second time around, you're not trying to wrap your head around jargon and subplots, and you can enjoy the book more (like I did for LotR).

The perfect way to refresh your memory is to reread it.

[ January 22, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I envy you! I love it when I kind of forget key moments in movies or books that I love and then I get to experience the magic all over again. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I am blessed with a wonderfully long memory for books, movies and songs. However, it is rather shocking when I forget something important in the story, in a "Wow, that one hit me from behind" kind of way. I happen to rush through books because I get so into it, I want to find out what happens in the end. The second time is more relaxed because it's not the mad rush to the last page, and I enjoy it more.

In fact, for tTT and RotK, I rushed through and kept skipping pages, so some parts I didn't even REMEMBER when I saw the movies, I had to go back and reread it to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the "Game" in the title was an ironic reference to...
Spoiler
the twist that it was not a game.

It wasn't that jumbled with Technology to me.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right pooka. The "game" actually has several layers of meaning.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.