FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gung Hey Fat Choy- year of the Monkey

Author Topic: Gung Hey Fat Choy- year of the Monkey
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohay, so this is a day late. Happy Chinese New Year. But this is the weekend. I'm really cursing that I'm so poor or I would have thrown a party for Utah Jatraqueros. That and my husband still basically thinks Hatracking is a vice. Mentions of "WenchCon" have not done much to bolster his opinion. He's a weird mix of uptight and unconvetional. I say that with utmost love and respect. Anywho....

Do you know your Chinese Zodiac sign? I'm a dog. (I know I'll make that OOC thread someday).

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Rooster here, hehehe.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a horse.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ox.

I'm a Taurus and an Ox. In both Zodiacs, I am represented by a fat, angry blob of lazy.

Cool.

Edited to add:

CURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSE
CURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSECURSE

I was saving that post number for one of Icarus's threads.

[ January 23, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
As a Monkey, I'm very optimistic about this year!

Also, my friend and I are planning a belated party, since it's our year and all. Yay Monkeys!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*

I think I'm a monkey too. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I (and Scythrop/Tony) were in Singapore for Chinese New Year... and a very lovely night we had too!

Asian Buffet dinner (tempura, sushi, sashimi, roast pork, roast duck, noodle stirfry, oysters, prawns, salads, stews... the works) and cocktails overlooking the Singapore river (and various kids throwing fireworks) made the whole evening very lovely.

So, neither of us are year of the Monkey.. but it was a good Chinese New Year nonetheless!

(edited for spelling - you think i would have worked out that whole i before e thing)

[ January 23, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a boar. Or a bore, whichever you prefer.

And a Gemini. Double boar-dom!

Kill me for the bad puns now.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

As you wish.

::impales with horns::

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Find your Chinese Sign
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Horns? O_o Is Nathan the devil?

*checks his Zodiac signs*

Oh, phew. Just a big, fat blob of lazy.

[ January 23, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. I'm a GOAT.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a dog....

A sentence I didn't expect to be typing voluntarily

[ January 23, 2004, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Boar. And Scorpio.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Also Boar and Scorpio.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Goat. Figuring out my sun sign is a little trickier. I'm on the cusp, and according to some ways of figuring things, I get pegged as a Scorpio, and by others as a Saggitarian. I just tried two different sites and each gave me a different sun sign. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
A pig. And a lion. So one rolls around in ---- and one is the ----. Interesting.

My Chinese New Year's Resolution:

This year I resolve to bring less shame upon the memory of my ancestors.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Sheep/Ram, or, in Japanese, hitsuji.

Edit: As it turns out, last year was the Year of the Sheep, or hitsujidoshi.

quote:
People born in the year of the Sheep are elegant, highly accomplished in the arts, passionate about nature. At first glance, they seem to be better off than the people born in other years. They are deeply religious and passionate in whatever they do and believe in.
What do you think? Accurate?

[ January 23, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

jehovoid, how disgraced were your ancestors last year?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Dog, Taurus, and my material is copper.

I have a little copper bulldog as a good luck charm.

[My husband is Horse, Virgo, and material is wood. I found a gorgeous hand-carved wooden netsuke for him on eBay. Hopefully it's a virgin. [Smile] ]

[ January 23, 2004, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/zodiac.html

quote:
People born in the Year of the Ox are patient, speak little, and inspire confidence in others. They tend, however, to be eccentric, and bigoted, and they anger easily. They have fierce tempers and although they speak little, when they do they are quite eloquent. Ox people are mentally and physically alert. Generally easy-going, they can be remarkably stubborn, and they hate to fail or be opposed. They are most compatible with Snake, Rooster, and Rat people.

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
They turned over in their graves so much scientists are trying to figure out how they can tap into them as a renewable energy source.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

quote:
speak little . . .
Is this T we're talking about? [Razz]

[ROFL] jehovoid

Kavon
Member # 6038

- posted      Profile for Kavon   Email Kavon         Edit/Delete Post 
Gemini, Rooster
Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a monkey [Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, hey!
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an Ox and a Virgo. Which I used to think didn't apply at all, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a cancerous growth on a dog.
That or a dog with crabs...

I hate these kinds of things.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an Ox

and an Aries.

(that means I don't get along with anyone)

[Mad]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I knew there was something about Farmgirl.

In addition to being a Dog, I'm a Gemini.
Which means I'm also the exact opposite of every dog characteristic.

I've been looking into some fun traditions for my kids:
Truisms written on Red paper. "May your new year not stink" and so forth.
Money in red envelopes.
8 kinds of dried fruit on a platter.
But since I don't like dried fruit, I'm just going
to use candy colored according to the Feng Shui
Ba Gua.

I'm using hard returns because Nathan's cursing has caused
this to be a side scrolling thread. At least on my browser.

So I need to come up with candies that are:
Red (French Burnt Peanuts, aka "Monkey Crap")
Pink
White
Gray
Black (I'm going with fudge here)
Blue
Green
Purple

The provenance of "Monkey Crap" is unique to our family.
A monkey trap is a container full of bait that will let
in an empty hand but not let out a fist full of bait.
We had a bag of French peanuts once that I could get my
hand in, but not out. I guess they were laughing about it
being a monkey trap. I guess I heard it as "Monkey Crap".

[ January 23, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Xin Nian Kuai Le!
Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argčn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argčn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
Tiger for me.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an Ox and a Aries. Correlle's a Rat and an Aquarius.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a rat and a scorpio.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Snake and a Pisces
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Chinese New Year! I'm in San Francisco, where they do a great Chinese New Year celebration, however, I am working every day and have no time to do anything else, unfortunately, so I didn't get a chance to see anything.

Still, it's cool that they have a great celebration.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

::note to self -- compare notes with MaydayDesiax -- we share both the same Chinese and Zodiac signs::

How the heck did you ever find anyone to be compatible with?

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy New Year! LOL @ jehovoid's Chinese New Year resolution. Actually, not at the resolution, just the fact that it's a Chinese New Year Resoultion.

Pooka, there are 'red envelope' candies that are pink. They're wrapped in red too. I don't know whether that matters. Are you Chinese?

aka, you should check out the street fair in Chinatown on February seventh and eighth. FYI: There are a lot of people. www.chineseparade.com

Well, Gong Hay Fat Choy, Gong Xi Fa Cai! and all that good stuff.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... my signs are Sagittarius and Dragon.

As a Dragon, I am supposedly...

quote:
healthy, energetic, excitable, short-tempered, and stubborn. They are also honest, sensitive, brave, and they inspire confidence and trust. Dragon people are the most eccentric of any in the eastern zodiac. They neither borrow money nor make flowery speeches, but they tend to be soft-hearted which sometimes gives others an advantage over them. They are compatible with Rats, Snakes, Monkeys, and Roosters.
Sagittarius coming into view.

Oh yeah... Happy Chinese New Year!

[ January 23, 2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: larisse ]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm half chinese, though a Japanese-American with a Ph.D. once opined I might be 95% instead of 50%. Point is, growing up Chinese New Year just meant that Mom and Dad went out with some of Dad's work colleagues. Though we got some pointers from watching Sagwa and Zoom.
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
Libra and Horse
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Rat (I tend to call it a mouse), and a Scorpio.
Farmgirl: 80% Luck, 20% fate.

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tiger.

(I have a fun little Chinese Calendar thing that tells each year what they are through 2005, I think... I once got it as a gift when I ate at Evergreen restaurant [Wink] )

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a a Tiger and Pisces. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a rat.

The rat happens to be my sign in the chinese zodiac too, and I'm a libra.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

okay -- I'm getting confused....

MaydayDesiax is partner with BYuCnslr?? (Bernard, right?) Or am I getting mixed up? (Because BYuCNslr answered me.)

And if that is the case, that is REALLY hard to believe, with him being a Scorpio (if you really believe this sort of crap [Wink] ) because those are really total opposites! My oldest son is Scorpio and we NEVER get along.... I can't imagine being married to someone like him.

FG

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Two books everyone here must go pick up:

Born on a Rotten Day and Love on a Rotten Day.

The "dark-side" of the zodiac revealed.

btw..Gemini and MONKEY!!!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an Ox and a Gemini. I remarkably fit many of the Ox characteristics that T quoted above.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.