FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Will reading save the masses?

Author Topic: Will reading save the masses?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mexico City thinks so.

What do you think?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go to Mexico City now, just to ride the subway!

How can free books and sharing stories NOT make the world more civilized?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Mexico City is a very scary place. I never ventured to ride the subway. And I am an adventurous person. Promise me, Jenny, that if you go, you take along a very burly male bodyguard.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that sounds like a cool idea. Don't know if it will work, but it's certainly worth a try.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
What burly Hatrack hero wants to accompany me to Mexico City and read books on the subway?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, the subway in Mexico City is *scary*.

It was clean, but it was *scary*. I was 14 when I rode it, and I just remember thinking "What if I don't get on when my family does?" The doors don't stay open as long as other subways I've ridden, so when they do, it's a mad crushing rush. We all made it every time we got on the train, but it was adrenalin making every time.

Maybe we could just mail you some free books and save you the trip.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
commuters relaxed and read a little on a ride that can require some jockeying for space and a sharp eye for pickpockets.
Ha!

And also, I wonder how many people are gonna miss their stops and be late for work because they were lost in the pages of a book.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Jeez, you guys don't think much of me as an intrepid traveler! What's so scary about this particular subway? Is it any scarier than sleeping on a beach at night? Is it any scarier than running about Rome and Paris on your own? Is it any scarier than kissing your tour bus driver and getting caught?
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose as the closest and burliest Jatraquero, I should at least volunteer myself before someone else does.

I've yet to be to Mexico City personally, but all the people I know who've gone there recently have loved it (male and female), and said they felt safer there than in any large US city. A few of them did qualify that with feeling physically safe, and than they had no doubt that their purse or wallet would simply love to hop off their person and escape.

Hmm... Maybe a MexiCon.... That'd really be something.

Feyd Baron, who is sort of cheating on his hatrackless hiatus.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I Love Mexico, and actually feel a lot safer walking around than in the US (note that I wouldn't encourage this in border towns) and while some areas of D.F. (ooh, watch me drop cool foreign acronyms) are entirely safe, some are really really scary and crime-ridden. So, yes - be adventurous, but still be cautious and don't go alone, especially being the blonde gringa bombshell that you are.
quote:
Is it any scarier than kissing your tour bus driver and getting caught?

You are so on my cool chick list!

P.S. Look at my post count!

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

You must be thinking of Kat. I'm no blonde, nor am I quite a "bombshell". But I am a Head Wench, and that counts for quite a bit, I hear.

The bus driver was in England, and he had smoker's breath. Bleah! I was 19. I was pretty soured by the whole incident because it kindof messed up my rapport with the rest of the group(all the girls wanted to kiss this guy, but I was the one who had the opportunity). Thankfully, our professor used a different bus company for our other tours.

I'll be careful, if I ever get to Mexico City. But you better warn those people about me! [Taunt]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.