FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone here ever been to Ireland?

Author Topic: Anyone here ever been to Ireland?
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out that my girlfriend is probably going to do Study Abroad in Dublin this summer. I have hatched a plan to fly out there with a ring and propose to her. The thing is, I'm looking for a really beautiful, romantic place to pop the question. I'm doing this on a budget, so I want to make my travel plans and stuff as early as possible. So, consider this an open solicitation . . . restaurant suggestions are also welcome! Thanks, everyone.

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
When we were there, I don't think there were any places outside of the larger cities that weren't beautiful and romantic.

I'd suggest the ruins of the church in Cashel from which you can see the Rock itself.There's another chapel in the town that's been converted into a gormet restraunt. I don't recall the name, but if you give any local that description, they can tell you.

Or Dingle if you want something coastal. We didn't make it to Dingle, but everywhere we stayed, they told us that was the most beautiful coast line.

[ January 23, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: peter the bookie ]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You will be hard-pressed to find a spot on the western coast of Ireland that isn't picturesque.

http://www.plastic-castle.com/tom/photos/honeymoon

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ruins at Kincora are stunning, the Shannon river, a forest, Cashel in the distance, and of course, you are standing where once Brian Boru stood.

Tara is also a very very beautifl area, the ancient capitol of Ireland, the seven gated city ruins, I think it is a bit closer to Dublin, but Kincora would be my choice.

Good luck with the proposal.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Congratulations!

I second what Tom said. And the west coast is only a four hour trip from Dublin if you rent a car.

I studied for three months in Galway and loved every minute of it. In the summer it'd be even more awesome, since I did it in the fall and had lots of wind and colder weather.

The Aran Islands are always nice, and there are lots of really out of the way awesome places on the main island that you can get to by renting bicycles (and then ditching the bicycles at some point because the way is only passable on foot).

The Cliffs of Moher are pretty amazing, but are busy with tour bus traffic and a little windy. They are however, totally breathtaking and awe-inspiring, so it's got potential. If you can go and stay in the nearby town at a B&B or something, then go up to the Cliffs at an off-peak time with no tour busses, that'd probably be the best bet with this option.

If you go north a bit, near Sligo is the Loch Gill and Yeats' "Lake Isle of Innisfree" - as well as a beautiful waterfall he wrote about in another poem. It's Yeats country up there, so if she's into english lit or poetry, that might be pretty cool.

Why is it that she's going to Ireland, btw? Are her ancestors Irish? If so, you might want to find the area where her name came from and a place near there, to give it the weight of history.

Again, I don't know how Irish she is, or into Irish culture, but a friend of mine got engaged when we were in Galway and he got her a diamond Claddagh ring as an engagement ring - just as food for thought (there are some good places for that in the Claddagh region of Galway, or in Dublin).

You might want to go to a bookstore and just grab an "Ireland by Air" or "Ireland in Pictures" book and flip through until you see someplace that's perfect. Remember how busy some of the places may be, though, with tourism in the summer.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Policyvote, that's so beautiful, I wish you (and your prospective fiancee) the best of luck!!

If it were Wales, England, or Scotland that she was going to, I could help... but I haven't actually been to Ireland. [Frown]

I'm sure there are a GREAT deal of beautiful places, though, as people have been saying. Good luck, policyvote! [Group Hug]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions! Now I'm going to have to go and go a bunch of research on Irish history . . .

FWIW, my girlfriend is not at all Irish and neither am I. She has to do an internship to finish her degree, and she's always talked about doing Study Abroad. I guess the opportunity in Ireland just happened to fit the schedule and academic requirements--plus Ireland is really cool. [Smile]

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Policy, what is she studying?

MSU has an awesome study abroad class in ireland that I want to go on.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, policyvote.

Someone I know bought an engagement ring that was actually an old Roman ring that was cleaned and refinished. A cool alternative to a diamond.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.