FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Look at my weblog please!

Author Topic: Look at my weblog please!
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Annie, I need a bit of help with web stuff. If you look at my blog, you'll see that I've got a sidebar on the right. Problem is that for some resolutions, the main body intrudes into the sidebar, obscuring part of it. Does anyone here know how I can prevent this? Is it possible to, I dunno, set the width of each as a percentage of the page or sommat? I've googled it, but I can't really make sense of the info I found. If anyone can explain it to me in terms I'll understand, I'll be most grateful.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Look at my weblog please!
That has to be the worst pickup line I've ever heard!!!

[Eek!]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least he said please.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

I don't need lines to pick up posable men!
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty simple. You've got the content id set to be 70% of the width, and the links id set to be 200px. Sometimes those add up to more than 100%. Normally, this would result in the page overflowing, except for where you have the links id conceptually anchored to: the right side (this is indicated by float: right).

Which results in overlap at screen resolutions where 70% + 200px is greater than the width.

You have few options for "fixing" it, actually, with the way your page is laid out now. Well, sort of. If Internet Explorer supported standards well, I'd say just put a min-width on the body for the value where 30% would equal 200px. That way, there would never be any overlap, though if one made the page too small one would have to scroll. Of course, IE doesn't support min-width, so scratch that (you can still do it for other people, but its not really a solution).

You could always set the links id to take up a certain percentage of your screen (less than or equal to 30). While this would solve that problem, it would result in the page looking considerably less elegant at higher widths. As the trend for screen size is bigger and bigger, I'd avoid this.

Another thing is you could make the links div a child of the content div, give it a relative positioning and set it to position itself right: -200px. That should ensure it gets anchored to the right side of the content rather than the right side of the screen, meaning it will never overlap with the content. This is the most working solution of the lot, but requires more fiddling and testing to make sure it works on all browsers.

So yeah, those are your basic options if you want to keep the code almost entirely the same.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Go with an assumption of 800x600 for the page, then use CSS to define static DIVs for the two columns. *shrug* That's what I call gestapo design. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

See, TomD is of the school of "inelegant but functional".

Don't listen to him, for his is the way of the darkside (plus, your blog will really feel lost on those larger screens).

[Wink]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

Thanks, fugu! And Tom, even though I'm not going to listen to you. [Razz] I think I'll try the third suggestion and see if I can get it to work. Will probably be back with more silly questions later.

Oh, and by the way:
quote:
You could always set the links id to take up a certain percentage of your screen (less than or equal to 30). While this would solve that problem, it would result in the page looking considerably less elegant at higher widths. As the trend for screen size is bigger and bigger, I'd avoid this.
Less elegant in what way?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It would look less elegant because the right-hand column would expand to fill the available space.

------

Of all of these suggestions, the best one is to use relative positioning on the right (child) column. This SHOULD work on all modern browsers.

[ January 26, 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Your links column would start to distort. Basically, it would look weird, as the text got more and more strung out with a wider and wider window. And it would, of course, also look weird as you reached smaller and smaller resolutions as wel,l as the text started to stack in smaller and smaller line-lengths.

Actually, I thought of a variation on the second one: change the current div to the percentage thing, then create an inner div with a fixed width of 200px . . . no, that would create a very similar problem to what is happening now.

[ January 26, 2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

ae
Member # 3291

All right, so what is the best solution after all?
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well, the best solution is the min-width thing. Except IE doesn't support that. But yeah, the position relative one is best, otherwise.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.