FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Only Pro-choice Judges?

Author Topic: Only Pro-choice Judges?
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading through John Kerry's website, and I found one pledge that bugged me. He promised to only nominate Pro-choice judges to the Supreme Court.

Now, what happened to all the righteous indignation and protest that prevented George W. Bush from saying anything about nominating Pro-life judges? Back then, it was all about how you shouldn't nominate judges based on their political affiliation, blah blah blah ...

But it's okay for a Democrat to use a political litmus test for judge selection, so long as it's the right kind of litmus test? Just sounds like the worst kind of hypocrisy ...

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is, of course.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It is hypocrisy Geoff. No other word for it.

And Tom beat me to the point.

[ January 26, 2004, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It is, of course.

...is okay to use a litmus test?

...or is it hypocrisy?

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Hypocrisy. And I caught the same thing while reading his website.

Which is why I hope to be voting for Dean.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
In a perfect (but boring) world, judges wouldn't have to rule on politically sensitive issues. Back in reality, it's incongruous to suggest that ANY nominating strategy can be divorced from politics. Blame both sides for suggesting otherwise.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, as far as I can tell, all of the democratic canidates say that or the equivalent on their websites.

[ January 26, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I can imagine Dean getting pissed off and start listing countries he's going to nuke and then give a yell.

[ January 26, 2004, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
Party politics are ruining this country.

And we have only ourselves to blame.

The one litmus test I care about is finding a candidate that will take money ONLY from individuals and ONLY in limited amounts (under $1000 per person!!!)

I would vote instantly for a candidate who would try to pass a law restricting lobbyists' access to members of Congress.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't vote for anyone who wants to violate the First Amendment right to petition...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor I.

One of my party platforms will be to accept money, advice, and gifts from anyone who cares to send them my way, with the condition that I won't know who gave what. I also promise to share the banquet leftovers with Internet forum users who are nice to me.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.