FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » RotK sweeps the Golden Globes

Author Topic: RotK sweeps the Golden Globes
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why haven't any of the RotK obsessives commented on this? I had to find this out from the newspaper, for heaven's sake! What is hatrack coming to? Anyway, I'm glad it won so many. [Smile] Maybe the Oscars will recognize it as well.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person who missed the memo that the Golden Globes were going on???

I found out today at school! [Grumble]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
What all did it win? Please tell me that Sean Astin won something.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Astin wasn't nominated for the GGs.

But, ROTK was nominated for 4, and it won 4:

Best Picture/Drama
Best Director
Best Score
Best Original Song: "Into the West"

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: *sigh* too slow.

I missed it too! I found out today from a friend, and I was meaning to watch it!

Now I'm waiting for the Oscars.

[Smile]

[ January 26, 2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
So I wasn't the only one who missed them. (I am not sure whether that's a good thing or not.)

I don't even really remember seeing any advertising for the show. But it was very cool to see that ROTK and Peter Jackson won. Yay!

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason why no one's mention it yet is because who on earth wastes their time on the Golden Globes? [Wink]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Who wastes their time on the Golden Globes? Why, the potential winners of course. Nothing like a little extra golden sphere to bring out and dust for the house guests every so often.

Hmmm...Does this mean, since you have such a low opinion on them( [Razz] ), that you would never attend, if you had the chance?

*expects answer in writing*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course not. They'd probably track me down and make me do a video, though.

"Nathan isn't able to join us right now, he's off... um... says 'not wasting my time' but we do have a video of him."

"Hi everyone. Thank you. Right now, I'm probably sinking my teeth into a nice steak or something witha lovely lady. Well, bye!"

::applause::

I'm a jerk.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Seuss
Member # 2487

- posted      Profile for Dr. Seuss   Email Dr. Seuss         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch the GG's but I did catch the results. "Lost in Translation" is an awesome show, it landed 4 awards. Definitely a must see. It made it all the beter seeing it at Wenchcon with Olivia, Kat, Dave, and crew [Smile]
Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

A video doesn't count. If you are there in person mostly only the people there get to see you, but if you get a video you'll be projected on a thirty foot screen for all the world to see.

(eating steak???)

You could do a eat-American-beef-commercial...

*sigh* And I foolishly thought I had you cornered.

Fat chance of that.

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wastes their time with the Golden Globes?

*raises hand* I have no excuse. I am unexplainedly (is that a word?) obsessed with awards shows. And yes, I watched the entire thing last night (including the hour-long preshow).

Yep, I'm a nerd.

The fact that LOTR won all theirs helped (a little) to console me over Johnny Depp's loss. I haven't seen Lost in Translation, but Bill Murray had better be amazing in it if he could beat Captain Jack Sparrow! [Grumble]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only did LOTR win four awards, but 24 also won for best drama on TV. Yay. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith might be thinking about the Golden Globes in these terms(warning: the following is a recycled posting.):

not too long ago - not long the way some of us reckon our lifetimes, anyway - the Golden Globes jumped from industry joke to widespread public laughingstock.

In 1982, Pia Zadora, a basically no-talent entertainer with a very rich husband, won a Globe for a film that had been univerally blasted by film critics. The small group that votes on the awards were wined and dined extensively by Zadora's husband.

Here's an article on the Golden Globes with some more info and background:

Truth takes some shine off the Golden Globes Truth takes some shine off the Golden Globes.

Excerpt:

quote:
To the millions who buy into the Golden Globes hype, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the outfit behind the much-ballyhooed annual TV and movie prizes, sounds like an august body of distinguished journalists and critics.

For the most part, however, it is a glorified fan club with something like 96 members who pose for pictures with the stars, ask for autographs, revel in the swag and pricey hospitality with which the studios shower them, ask fawning questions and get extremely shy when anyone starts to poke, prod or otherwise inquire about their credentials, qualifications or ethics.

The emperor has no clothes. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Nominations will be announced tomorrow. If Andy Serkis gets passed up again, I will be upset, but if they ignore Sean Astin, I will shoot something.

Wouldn't it be so cool if RotK became the first fantasy film ever to win Best Picture? That and Best Director: PJ has it coming. It would be nice for them to get something other than the (albeit well-deserved) technical awards.

[ January 26, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
My respect for the GG's fell through the floor when I heard Jack Black got nominated.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you should have been around when Pia Zadora was a Golden Globes winner.

The clothes the emperor doesn't have sure are fancy and expensive, though. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget Madonna's Best Actress Globe. I have never watched them, but in my experience they have tended to be off base. But I'm hoping they were off base in giving ROTK so few nominations, and not in awarding them everything they are nominated for. It's a shame they whole cast wasn't awarded over the span of three years. Though the crew has gotten a lot of recognition.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree about Sean Astin. The one part about the books that I was afraid wouldn't translate to the big-screen was the relationship between Sam and Frodo. Thanks to Sean, my fears were unfounded.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Hi everyone. Thank you. Right now, I'm probably sinking my teeth into a nice steak or something witha lovely lady. Well, bye!"
Nathan... if my memory is correct, they actually serve alcohol at the GG, if not a dinner. (Many say that it is the alcohol consumption that results in the off-the-wall acceptance speeches, which doesn't necessarily translate to funny acceptance speeches mind you.)
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched part of them. I admit it. And although it's not half of what that movie deserves...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RotK got everything it was nominated for!!!!!!!

Even though Sean (and Johnny Depp) definately got unjustly ignored.

Doesn't Elijah Wood look great in hobbit-green velvet? Yes.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I enjoy watchin the Academy Awards but I haven't ever paid attention to the GG's.
Are they indicators of the Academy Award results?

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really...although the academy awards aren't really any indication of what was REALLY outstanding most of the time. [Smile] In fact, the GG seem to be Oscar's annoying kid brother and Oscar gets a kick out of doing the opposite just to spite him.

[Big Grin] I still watch 'em though, don't get me wrong.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the GC awards as a big deal because RoTK has already won something much more important -- the heart and soul of every Tolkien fan. There can be no higher praise. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Er, well, I can't say I'm surprised.

Anyway, the reason people don't watch the Golden Globes is because the people there already know their going to win, unlike the Oscars where every nominee arrives and doesn't know 'til the word leaves the host's lips. The reality-tv-brainwashed America only wants to see things where people get emotional for things that don't matter.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I just like the idea of people getting little golden blobs.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.