FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ROTK nominated for 11 oscars

Author Topic: ROTK nominated for 11 oscars
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Full story on CNN
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

[Grumble] No acting noms for ROTK
[Eek!] But Johnny Depp is up for POC

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*is steamed*

No Acting Nominations. What. Ever.

*shuns oscars for yet another year*

Why can't there be an award show that actually acknowledges talent, hmmm??

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not surprised it didn't get a best actor nom, but I wish they'd have nominated Sean Astin for best supporting. That makes me really sad.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Complete nominees list, linkages to movies I never heard of
ROTK Best Picture page with list of the nominations for that film

It would be hard to say who was the lead in that movie. Of course, in my little world they could have nominated multiple actors for best actor and multiple actors for best supporting actor. That happens, right? I guess if the film wins Best Director and Best Picture, that would be pretty good.

[ January 27, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote this thread as the better ROTK-oscar-nominations thread.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.... what about the other films?

Johnny Depp got a best actor nom - very deservingly so!

And Master and Commander got 10 noms - that's the real surprise.

And the girl from Whale Rider got a best actress nod at 13 - pretty impressive.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I was glad that "Seabiscuit" got a nomination. I don't think it appeared on anyone's list of probably nominees. But it was one of my personal favorites of the year.

I don't expect it to win and don't know if it deserves to. It deserves the recognition of being a nominee for best picture, though.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst thing is that ROTK didn't get mentioned for the best supporting actor, but Alec Baldwin did! I mean, I haven't seen the film, but this is Alec Baldwin. How good could he be?
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Seabiscuit thoroughly disappointed me. I mean, it just did not move me at all. And I was surprised, I was really looking forward to it.

I think Depp's nomination is well-deserved.

It should be an interesting night, to see if the Academy really will give Jackson the best director oscar.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I'm guessing if ROTK gets best picture, they'll give Best Director to Clint Eastwood. If they don't, and Mystic River gets Best Picture, then PJ will get Best Director. To me, it's a real battle between what the Oscars usually love (small, dramatically-centered movies) and hate (or at least love less: big, huge, lumbering movies.) Remember that Saving Private Ryan, a big huge war movie, lost to Shakespeare in Love, a relatively small dramatic movie that now is looking pretty light weight.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
My feeling is that LOTR is a lock for both Best Picture and Best Director at this point. They've dominated the critics awards up till now.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember that Saving Private Ryan, a big huge war movie, lost to Shakespeare in Love, a relatively small dramatic movie that now is looking pretty light weight.
I don't know if this is a good comparison. Many (most?) people would still rather watch Shakespeare in Love that SPR.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

jev, I did look around before posting this. Is there another somewhere?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No nomination for Sean Astin. [Frown] That makes me so sad - he's my favorite. And he was just wonderful.

Why is it that ensemble epic movies don't get acting nods? Didn't they WATCH the movie??

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
*hopes for that kid from Whale Rider*

that would be so cool... i mean, i doubt she'll win but a nomination is good.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also bummed about Sean Astin, but I thought that Peter Dinklage would be nominated for Best Actor in The Station Agent.

As for LOTR, I hope they sweep everything except Best Adapted Screenplay. Don't get me wrong, I thought they did an incredible job adapting the impossible story to the screen, but I feel that American Splendor was a more interesting adaptation from the original source.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm just thrilled to se Djimon Honsou up there for Best Supporting Actor, and Samantha Monson up for Best Actress -- both from IN AMERICA.

Go. See. This. Movie.

--

In previous years, I'd be complaining if the actor/film I thought was BEst Picture wasn't nominated. But then again, most of the time I hadn't even SEEN the other nommed films, so I had no point of reference.

This year I've made a special effort to keep up with the Awards Race, and tried to watch as many of the leading contenders as I could track down.

And I have to say, it was a TOUGH year. There were so many wonderful films and fantastic performances that someone I liked was bound (heh) to have been left out.

The Oscars are so much more enjoyable if you actually KNOW what's going on [Big Grin]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, what makes In America good?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
The girl from Whale Rider is the youngest person ever to be nominated for the Best Actress award. I'd really like to see her win, but I think it's kind of a long shot.

I *really* want Johnny Depp to win, but it'll probably go to either Sean Penn or the other guy....I can't remember his name, but they couldn't stop talking about the competition between the two of them.

And it is *very* rare that the Best Picture and Best Director don't go to the same film. I'm putting my money on LOTR.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The worst thing is that ROTK didn't get mentioned for the best supporting actor, but Alec Baldwin did! I mean, I haven't seen the film, but this is Alec Baldwin. How good could he be?
I haven't seen it either, but come on. Alec Baldwin is an awesome actor. Ever seen Glengarry Glen Ross ? The Hunt For Red October ? Sure, he's done some crap, but so has Sean Astin. I'm thinking about Encino Man and the made for tv movie version of Harrison Bergeron.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
Glengarry Glen Ross is on my list of worst movies ever to be even thought of. It was a cussword fest based on the premise that excessive foul language is "realistic" and "daring." It think it still has the record for most times "f*ck" is said in a single movie, something like over 3000 times.

[ January 27, 2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Yeah, I suppose if you're the sort of person who gets offended by words, then you probably wouldn't enjoy it.

On the other hand, it has some of the best actors of the last couple of decades doing their best performances of the 90's.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Personally, I was very pleasantly surprised with these nominations this year. It seems ROTK is the obvious choice. [Smile]

AND...yay for Johnny Depp! [Big Grin] He probably won't win this one either, but so long as Bill Murray doesn't win again I'm ok with it. [Wink] (I haven't seen Lost in Translation, but he's still Bill Murray. How good could he be?)

[ January 27, 2004, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy Serkis deserves recognition. His portrayal of Gollum was one of the most convincing, real performances I have seen in a long time. Of course, I realize that Hollywood will never recognize a performance where the actor's makeup happens to be generated by the a computer. What a shame.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mollyringwraith strikes again. Have a laugh folks, this was funny. [Wink]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mollyringwraith/9460.html

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

pooka, this thread was started about an hour and a half after yours. It's on page 2 with one reply, and it doesn't even have any links to other online sources. Yours just blows the competition away. The only thing that could hurt you now would be a particularly vicious Dobie, but I don't see that happening.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

That molly is pretty funny. Which takes a lot after boasting the onion wants her.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
<--- Found the movie too long, but had a cold at the time of watching, not to mention there's a lot of stuff in those books O.o Thought it was excellent otherwise. [Smile]

--J_K/Felix/Ranak/etc...

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know if this is a good comparison. Many (most?) people would still rather watch Shakespeare in Love that SPR.
I would rather watch anything than SPR. We watched it on the bus once on the way to the D-Day Museum, and I tried to tune it out and read Children of the Mind in peace, but--I swear to God--every time I looked up, someone was getting a limb blown off. Or a head. Ew.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad they nominated Johnny Depp, but furious about the RotK actors.

They need to have a "Best Ensemble" award.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of us who honestly can't figure how a movie can be BEST without having good acting... Aaargh. They should get a special ensemble Oscar, like Saving Private Ryan's group should have.

Anyways...
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mollyringwraith/9460.html

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*pst...Olivet. Look up six posts. [Big Grin] *
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alec Baldwin is an awesome actor. Ever seen Glengarry Glen Ross ? The Hunt For Red October?
quote:
Glengarry Glen Ross is on my list of worst movies ever to be even thought of. It was a cussword fest based on the premise that excessive foul language is "realistic" and "daring." It think it still has the record for most times "f*ck" is said in a single movie, something like over 3000 times.
quote:
Yeah, I suppose if you're the sort of person who gets offended by words, then you probably wouldn't enjoy it.
Glengarry Glen Ross is the foulest movie I've ever had the misfortune to watch and I didn't even REMEMBER that it had swearing in it. It was nothing but people abusing each other, and trying to win by stomping everyone else down. It was the most depressing portrayal of a wrong and ugly response to human desperation I've ever seen and I came out of the cinema feeling like someone had tied me in a chair and glued my eyes open and made me watch them abuse a child.

If that was what the director was going for, he did a brilliant job, but I just don't feel like that much effort and talent should go into telling such an utterly worthless story. Actually not worthless, worse than worthless - harmful, damaging to the heart and mind.

Having said that, can I just add that Alec Baldwin was PHENOMENAL in The Hunt for Red October and that his portrayal of Jack Ryan was much closer to the original character in the books than was that of Harrison Ford in the subsequent movies. (not that Harrison didn't act the part well, he just wasn't the Jack Ryan of the books.)

[ January 29, 2004, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: enjeeo ]

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I agree about the Jack Ryan part. To me, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck (gag) played completely different characters that happened to have the same name. I didn't even associate them with the character in HfRO.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] Sorry 'bout that.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

quote:
Glengarry Glen Ross is the foulest movie I've ever had the misfortune to watch and I didn't even REMEMBER that it had swearing in it. It was nothing but people abusing each other, and trying to win by stomping everyone else down. It was the most depressing portrayal of a wrong and ugly response to human desperation I've ever seen and I came out of the cinema feeling like someone had tied me in a chair and glued my eyes open and made me watch them abuse a child.
Interesting. Though my reaction to the movie wasn't quite so strong, you just described the exact reasons why I liked it.

[ January 29, 2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck (gag) played completely different characters that happened to have the same name.
That's because the Ben is not mightier than the Ford.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Please excuse me while I hurl . . .
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Dobbie, where ya been? [Smile] I love it when you show up!
pooka
Member # 5003

Dobbie [ROFL] [Cry] [ROFL] [Embarrassed] [Blushing] I laughed until I came close to wetting my pants.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

That's terribly funny, Dobbie.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(groans loudly at Dobbie) [Wink]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.