FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Perform a Random Act of Kindness for somebody you love today

Author Topic: Perform a Random Act of Kindness for somebody you love today
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
A comment by Derrell in his Mothers thread got me to thinking about how effective little actions are in keeping love alive, and how easy it is to forget to do these little things, and to fall into a comfortable rut with the people we love. Of course, what makes them random is that they come from out of nowhere, but I wish sometimes that something would remind me not to take the people I love for granted. Then it occurred to me that a thread such as this, if it were bumped once every long while by random hatrackers, much as the weight-loss thread is, could be just the sort of spur I was wishing for.

So go out and do something kind for your spouse, or your lover, or your parent, or your child, or for somebody! And if you feel like it, tell us about it. And if you do something random and kind a month from now, or whenever, revive this thread and tell us about it, to remind us!

[Smile]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a kewl idea. Thanks Icarus.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to work on this one today.

I'm going to try to get out of my "no sun slump" and do something nice for someone.

I love random acts of kindness! It's easy when you're in a happy mood. It's much harder when you feel like answering everyone with "Grrrrrrrrr".

So...wish me luck.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Tammy.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
...hehehe Thanks for the luck!

My neighbor just slid down the driveway and asked if her kids could stay here for awhile. She's attempting to navigate the ice covered roads to go work out.

I said "Of course". Grrrrrrrrrr

Now I have a house full of kids. However, I definitely think that this was kind of me. The kids in the neighborhood have been running from one house to the next since Sunday. Their on a "snow day riot spree".

I'm praying for the ice to melt and go away.

I've done my good deed for the day.

I'll perhaps attempt more later.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I'm feeling hateful toward somebody, I start being really really nice to them.

Otherwise, I perform random acts of playfulness.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm set for weekdays this month. I go out every cold morning and start up the van and stick with it for five minutes or so (it can't be trusted to keep running on its own until the temp gauge nudges up past zero) and then go back inside so Diane can come out to a toasty warm van another ten minutes after that.

I think that counts.(?)

Gotta think what I'll do for weekends and nonfrigid weather...

[ January 28, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Nobody ever bumped this thread, but I still think it's a good idea. So I'll bump it myself and try to think of a random act of kindness or two.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good idea. Thanks for the reminder.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was really sweet when I got home from church yesterday to find that slacker had made me dinner. How did he know all I'd eaten all day was an apple and a piece of toast and I was starving? [Smile] He also left me a cute voicemail on my cell phone for me to listen to later (it reminded me of when we were dating and early in our marriage - he used to leave me voicemail on his way to work in the wee hours of the morning). [Big Grin]

Now to think of something nice to do for him today....

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
He also left me a cute voicemail on my cell phone for me to listen to later (it reminded me of when we were dating and early in our marriage - he used to leave me voicemail on his way to work in the wee hours of the morning).
I love this!

I think I'll leave Cor a mushy message on her voice mail tonight, so she can discover it at work!

Not only can this thread remind me to do nice things, it even gives me ideas!

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Last Christmas I was given a case of clementines by a friend. A couple of days later, my parents stopped by, and Daddy ate one of them. He loved it! So...

I picked up a case of them for him today while I was at the grocery store. Then, when I got home, I peeled one and brought it in, gave it to him. He positively glowed! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I just realized how short my list of people I "love" was.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You know, it occurred to me today that perhaps I ought to broaden the title, but then I didn't, because people we love need it from us more. But there's no reason you can't perform a truly random act, for a stranger or a casual friend.

[Smile]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working very hard on giving my boyfriend space and not displacing all of my insecurites onto him. It's not really random and it isn't just for today, but I think he'll appreciate it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd bump this. No particular reason, I was going to do it earlier in the week, but I was out of town and didn't have my password.

Is there anyone in Northeast to North Central Ohio, and (if so) are you all okay with all the rain and flooding?

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if you were having to help deal with the floods down there HC.

Of course living where I do, I've been muttering under my breath about freeze-thaw cycles every time I hit a pothole after all the crazy weather here.

Do you think they'll get the army corps of engineers to try to stablize where the mudslided happened in California? I actually know someone who worked with a couple of people who were killed there.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was out for a week, and have since been sent home. We got (or are expected to get) pools of record on probably half of our dams up there, so we had surveilance on some of the dams 24/7 until the crest passes and the pools come back down.

As for the mudslide, I don't know, but I'd say the Corps will be involved, whichever district that is, though I don't know the details yet, as I've been concentrating on NE Ohio, and been pretty well out of the loop with regard to the rest of the country.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a new monitor for my family today.

Well, okay, I needed it, too. [Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

It's been far too long since this thread has been bumped. I was thinking I'd do it randomly. Well, this is pretty random, yeah? I'm a big fan of the Random Act. So go out and be randomly kind. To anyone really.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.