FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The first annual Hatrack Yoda-off....

Author Topic: The first annual Hatrack Yoda-off....
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome and let's go to our first quote of the day......

Found in this AP story, a quote by Howard Dean....

quote:
"We're going to try everywhere," he said. "We've got a hard — we've got a strategy and a good organization to win everywhere and we're going to try to get as many delegates as we can everywhere.

Ok everyone.... how would Yoda say this?

[ January 28, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everywhere, do we will, there is no try. Much support, everywhere we must gather. Strategy, good organization, mmmmm, yes, for winning, these are the keys."
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Nate has to propose a new statement, sah?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
A new statement must Nate propose, hmmm?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh.. that would be wrong Ms. Muppet. We will take a few more submissions, then I will offer a new quote. The point here is to see who can translate the quote the closest.

[ January 28, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Trogdor the Burninator ]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Everywhere we shall do or do not, there is no try. Though dark the way may be, the force is with us the galaxy throughout. We will find in the convention what delegates we take in with us.

(teach me to spell the degobah swamp did not)

[ January 28, 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::tips hat to pooka::
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I see how it is, Pat is the self-proclaimed Lord over this thread. Well, that's fine, if you're into that sort of thing.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Everywhere going are we. Hard we have. Strategy of the win we have. Good the organization to win we have. Everywhere the win, and nowhere. Delegates of anywhere, many must we get. There is no try, only do.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

And the prize goes to Dan.

I could just see Yoda saying these words on a stage in New Hampshire. Good job, Dan.

And the score is, Dan 1, Hatrack 0.

Next quote will be up after this commercial break.

Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

And we're back....

And the next quote comes from Maurice Cheeks, head coach of the Portland Trailblazers....

quote:
"I don't think anyone has given up on it.....We are not out until we are out, so with that in mind, I think our chances are as good as anyone."

And... begin....
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe that anyone has given up, I do not. Remember we must--out we are not until out we are. Hope we have as good as anyone else.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Noone has given up on it, I think. Out we are when we are out, and not out are we when not. In mind that is, chances are for us as good as them.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Given up, no one has. Our chances good as anyone's, since out we are not.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

And Tom Davidson wins with his short, but brutally honest Yoda translation.

Dan 1, Tom 1.....

Next quote...

quote:
"Tis a quandary. We're at war and people are dying every day. We went to war on the presumption that we were going to be attacked very soon if we didn't do something and the reign of terror would come from weapons of mass destruction. I'm still in search of those weapons of mass destruction."
— Senate Intelligence Committee Vice Chairman Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va.

Judging will be tommorrow at noon mountain time....

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
<is relieved this isn't an onanism thread>

"A quandry, 'tis. At war, we are, and everyday, dying, are people. To war, we went, on the presumption that attacked soon, we were going to be, if do something, we didn't, and come from weapons of mass destruction, the reign of terror would. Still in search of those weapons of mass desctruction, I am."

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to Yodalize a Yogi Bera quote. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...a quandry it is. dying every day people are. War we are at. Existence or no existence, there is no proof, only quandry. Presumption we made and act we did, but still - search we must, for along the way of the dark side only mass destruction you will find...
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<hacks up 700-year-old ball of flegm>

<in sexy announcer-type voice says> Oooh, that's smooth, baby.

Oooh, this sure is gonna be a tough one, mmmhmmm. We're fightin' and dyin' every day, but that's all right. We got this whole thing started because we thought we were going to be attacked very soon if we didn't do something about all 'dem big bombs. It's all right, I'll find 'em, you can trust old Yoda.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncertain, it is. At war, we are. Die, people do. Thought, we did, that attacked soon we would be if nothing we did. From weapons of mass destruction come the reign of terror would. So to war we went. Still looking for these weapons are we.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
'Tis a quandry. We stuffed up.

Oops. Sorry, you wanted Yoda. Not brutal honesty.... [Wink]

[ January 29, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. A quandary, it is. Yes. At war we are. Dying, people are. Mmm, yes. Every day. *sigh* ::waggles staff:: Went to war we did. Why? Thought we were going to be attacked, did we. We thought soon, happen this would, if do something we did not. Reign of terror? Bah! Weapons of mass destruction? Bah! Found these things I have not. ::sadly shakes head::

[ January 29, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Quandary it is. At war we are. Dying every day people are. To war we went presuming fear. An attack we feared, soon. Something done must be. Weapons of destructive mass we feared, used by those of terror and the dark side. Yet find those weapons of destructive mass, I have not. Search we shall, but the quandary is, not where the weapons are, but whom the dark side is.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

And the win goes to Icarus for his impressive use of Hmmm....

Dan 1, Tom 1, Icarus 1

quote:
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

Whoever breaks the tie wins the responsibility of carrying on this thread....

pooka
Member # 5003

I got my Yoda off.

quote:
Step 6: Know when to back off. If you've tried applying pressure several times without luck, temporarily retire your fingers. The pimple may not be ready to "pop," and forcing it can cause redness and scarring.

Okay, I'll be the sacrificial first entry that you can only go up from.

Friend best of man, a dog outside of is book. To read too dark of dog inside it is.

[ January 29, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it is too dark to read. Yes.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Outside the dog, a book, man's best friend is. Inside the dog, the darkside waits. The darkside does not read. Once you succumb to the darkside, the movie, you will wait for.
pooka
Member # 5003

LOL, Dan!
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Best friend of a man, a book is, outside of a dog. Too dark to read it is inside a dog, yes?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

Dan, you win again. Good job. The thread is yours.
lcarus
Member # 4395

Mmmm. Robbed I was. Fixed this is. Yes.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Honored am I for this thread and the victory.

Honest was judge, and expensive--er I mean brilliant.

The sad news is I had a prize in mind for the next one, but would you believe somebody stole it?

I will steal our next Yodable quote from that news article:

quote:
But someone grabbed Yoda that night or early the next morning.

"We are treating this as a burglary and we'd appreciate any information the public might have," Pope said.

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Grabbed me, someone did, in the morning early.

Told the people, Mister Pope did, "As a burglary are we treating this. Some information the public might have, we would appreciate."

A kidnapping, I call it, but to the Jedi Master listens no one.

[ January 30, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Maccabeus ]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Grabbed me someone did. Like it I did not. Theft is the path to the dark side. Theft leads to larceny, larceny leads to file sharing, file sharing leads to lower residuals.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Before the dawn, snatched was I.

To Pope you will listen: "as a burglary we will treat this, appreciated be any information the public may be having."

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Delayed much have I in awarding the win. Pooka the winner is.

Next:
quote:
'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(Monty Python--the Parrot Sketch)

[ February 02, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
He's dead Jim!

Oh wait, you wanted Yoda....
Yoda short version: "Ceased to be the young parrot has. Mmmm, yes."

Yoda long version:
Pining he is not! Hurumph! Passed on he has! Parrot no more is this! Ceased to be he has! Expired he has and to meet his maker he has gone! Stiff he is, yes! In peace resting, and bereft of life he is! Off the twig he is! Kicked the bucket he has, off his mortal coil shuffled he has, down the curtain he has run and the bleedin' choir invisible has he joined! Ex-parrot he is, yes!

[ February 02, 2004, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.