FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do I make a new thread? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do I make a new thread?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't really say without crossing that PC boundary.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people with the ability to whisper to unicorns are not married. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

- posted      Profile for shadowmaker           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually most people who think they can whisper to unicorns aren't allowed to leave the institution grounds.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, most of the people who think they can whisper to unicorns roam free.

It's the ones who say they can whisper to unicorns who wind up on the wrong side of the institutional walls...

As for those who say unicorns whisper back to them...

There are some things you really don't want to know.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

Yeah I suppose so.....What's that, Mr. Rabbit? You want me to kill everyone?
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

sndrake, how surprisingly judgmental of you! "The wrong side" indeed! [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

rivka, it's hard to find people in institutions who think of themselves as being on the right side of the wall...

But then again, my perspective is skewed. I have a number of friends who have been in them and really really want to stay on this side of the wall.

But what am I saying? I'm paid to be judgmental. It's on my job description. It's part of my evaluation. [Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
rivka, it's hard to find people in institutions who think of themselves as being on the right side of the wall...

And you're basing your assessment on the opinions of crazy people?!
sndrake
Member # 4941

rivka,

it's also in my job description to, all other things being equal, take the word of the oppressed over that of the oppressors. (We really need a sanctimonious halo graemlin)

It's an interesting question - do we trust the descriptions of people who couldn't wait to get out of a place? Or do we rely on the testimonials of those whose livelihoods depend on the existence of the same places? [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Grumble] *mutters about people who ignore the deliberate irony in complaining about right/wrong side and then use the highly judgmental term "crazy"*

quote:
We really need a sanctimonious halo graemlin

I've always liked this fellow O:) or maybe O:D
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's also in my job description to, all other things being equal, take the word of the oppressed over that of the oppressors.
Is all else equal in the case of an asylum? [Dont Know]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
*mutters about people who ignore the deliberate irony in complaining about right/wrong side and then use the highly judgmental term "crazy"*

Mea culpa. Kind of. [Smile]

It just seemed more fun to deal with it at face value.

Fun to be judgmental, though. Imagine getting paid to be that way. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

Imagine, hah! I used to be a teacher . . . [Wink]
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Is all else equal in the case of an asylum?
Well, we're talking about people who got out. And everyone I know - I mean everyone - says they are lousy places and either experienced or witnessed abuse while there. (Remember, these are the people who actually got out.)

Interestingly, I'm hard pressed to find one professional (and I have known quite a few over my life) who has worked in one of them who has witnessed abuse, let alone committed any.

Edited to add: How do I make sense of this disparity? Which group should I be more inclined to believe?

Seems to me when you're not the one being oppressed, it's all too easy to see what you want to see.

I'm also an agnostic when it comes to the reliability of psych labels. I believe mental illness is a real thing. But I also don't believe everyone who gets the label deserves it.

Actually, for that matter, I don't think having a psych label should disqualify you from being listened to when you protest against lousy conditions.

[ February 08, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

shadowmaker
Member # 6155

I think the discussion is getting too deep for a random thread like this. [The Wave] Wow, look at em go
pooka
Member # 5003

It's was kind of mixed in the institution I was in. We all complained, but some were crazy enough to prefer it to the outside. You know, catch 22 and all that.

What was weird were all the folks who had shot themselves (ineffectually) or someone else. I mean, it was a military institution, for Pete's sake. How do they expect these people to react to stress.

Anyway, I second the motion for the return of fluff. Does anyone on this forum *not* make shadows? [Angst]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

I don't know about that....maybe they live in darkness and they can't. Or maybe their shadows freak them out. Any groundhogs here?
sndrake
Member # 4941

As a way of making amends for derailing fluff, I'd like to offer the following link on The Power of the Judiciary.

quote:
OLYMPIA, Washington (AP) -- This justice gives new meaning to the words "bench press."

*Link includes picture*

It's not about groundhogs, though. I'm agnostic on groundhog prognostications.

shadowmaker
Member # 6155

You should watch out for the groundhogs very distant cousin, the polar bear.
pooka
Member # 5003

[Laugh] bench press. You know, back in my body for life days I would have thought that would be a great way to solve democracies problems. more votes for buff folks.
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

I don't think you cal tell if someone's buff on hatrack...oh well
sndrake
Member # 4941

Not unless they tell you... [Big Grin]
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

Does anybody know what this thread is about anymore?
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Dont Know] Does it matter?
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

It doesn't really matter, so let's just talk about nothing.
rivka
Member # 4859

Threads are supposed to be about something? When did THAT happen?
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

yeah, it's a new trend. Started by um....a guy named george...and a talking treadmill...
sndrake
Member # 4941

Threads being about one thing and actually sticking to it - that would be a new thing. [Smile]
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

yeah, a thread about new cars turns into a thread about the rain forest
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

This shall be deleted for all eternity.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.