FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any upcoming movies to get excited about??

Author Topic: Any upcoming movies to get excited about??
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
With the ROTK and Matrix films all over with..what upcoming movies are people all excited over?

I assume that the next Harry Potter film is one but what else?

I'm always kind of bummed out once the movie I've been waiting for (in this case ROTK) is out and I've seen it a few times. Now I don't have any HUGE movie to build up excitement over. The only thing left for that movie is the Extended Edition.

So, if anyone knows of anything cool...post some links!

Thanks!

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe movie's a big one... it's been referred to a few times on Hatrack. I haven't read the books, so I'm not bouncy-waiting for it, if you know what I mean.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Spiderman 2 had a kick-butt trailer...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested to see whether Gibson's The Passion of The Christ will be any good.

Also looking forward to Charlie Kaufman's newest movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind .

And Troy.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get excited about the fact that we may have a "Hobbit" movie in the future.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ella Enchanted Princess Diaries
Starsky and Hutch cuz it looks bad enough to be fun
The Village M Night Shyamalan
The Ladykillers Coen Brothers

[ January 29, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet but...

Ender's Game

I mean ya, it's not coming out next week or even next year but still.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hidalgo
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually excited to see The Passion of Christ if it ever comes out. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
And I am waiting to be underwhelmed by Troy, but we'll see. :/
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(is excited about Ella Enchanted)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fool of a Took
Member # 6039

- posted      Profile for Fool of a Took           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see the hobbit!
[Smile]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
They're making an Ella Enchanted movie? That should be good! You know, when I first read that book, I didn't realise it was the story of Cinderella. It was the glass slipper that finally got me. [Blushing]

If I was richer (i.e. had money) I could see these movies when they come out!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caliburn84
Member # 4949

- posted      Profile for caliburn84   Email caliburn84         Edit/Delete Post 
3 little words that makes every loyal fan giddy "Alien versus Predator". I could be mistaken but i think it's comming out this year.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither, Teshi! Even though I'd heard of the book before, I didn't know that that was the story!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also looking forward to Charlie Kaufman's newest movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I can't wait for this one. i just watched a trailer for it that i haven't seen before and i'm even more excited than i have been. I love that they chose to use ELO for the music, it just works so well.

I love Charlie Kaufman and the story for this one just seems so intriguing, especially in his hands. And the cast looks very cool.

I think that and Troy are probably the two movies i'm looking forward to the most. at least of the top of my head. i'm sure there are more.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has to say it: Star Wars: Episode III next year.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
http://filmforce.ign.com/moremovies/objects/34017.html

I'm going to have a hard time picturing Mos Def as Ford.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/476/476327p1.html

[ January 29, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Mr. Blue Sky is an awesome song.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I completely agree. Do you remember that VW commercial they used it in? that was my favorite commercial for a while.

prompted me to put that song on a couple mix cds.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

First time I heard it was on a trailer from Adaptation, another Kaufman favorite.
Strider
Member # 1807

Having seen Love Actually i think Martin Freeman will do a great job as Arthur Dent. Zooey Deschanel is a good actress, and should do well too.

I'm not sure about Mos Def. I really dig Mos Def(as a rapper), and i'm psyched he's getting acting roles, just because he's a cool dude. I haven't seen The Italian Job so don't know what his acting chops are like, but from what i know of him, and having seen him on the Chappelle show(and wasn't there a short lived MTV hip/hop freestyle sketch comedy show that he was on?) i think he can do pretty well. hmmm...wasn't he in bamboozled too?

anyway, i like him, but i'm not sure if he's right for Ford Prefect. I just don't know if i can see Ford as a black man. though to be fair, if he did have to be a black man, Mos Def is a better pick than lets say Will Smith.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Definitely better than Will Smith.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

ELO question: you know towards the end of Mr. Blue Sky when it becomes instrumental. Doesn't it sound exactly like one of Rocky IV training scene musical numbers? I think the one when he's running up the mountain.

I'm sure it's not exactly alike, but it reminds me of the music so much.

So this wasn't exactly and ELO question as much as a random comment.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to King Arthur with Keira Knightly as Guinevere. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Girl With A Pearl Earring... can't wait! It comes here next week!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're making an Ella Enchanted movie? That should be good! You know, when I first read that book, I didn't realise it was the story of Cinderella. It was the glass slipper that finally got me.
You know, you're not alone...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I always imagined Ford Prefect looking and sounding rather like Dominic Monaghan. Oh well.
Has anyone heard who's playing Zaphod Beeblebrox?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Polar Express looks cool.
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I just never thought of Ford as black. And he always struck me as having to sound very british. Which I don't think Mos Def is going to do.

It'll need a lot of narration, too, otherwise it's going to be pretty stupid. A lot of the humor in it is wordplay and syntax and the way silly ideas are presented. I think John Cleese as the voice of the guide would be a Godsend. I always thought of a younger Cleese as Ford, anyway.

[ January 29, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The Chronicles of Riddick Vin Diesel's continuation of Pitch Black

[ January 29, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting very excited about Ladykillers. As far as I can tell, there's only the one trailer, but here is a much higher quality one. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I'm just not sure what African American rights activists are going to think of casting a black man as an alien with a loud mouth.
quote:
There's also no mention of Robert Downey Jr., who had reportedly been up for the role of President of the Galaxy, Zaphod Beeblebrox, until he requested changes to the script and the film's producers became concerned about his insurability.
If he ends up taking the role, how is the director going to convince the audience that Ford is Zaphod's cousin? On the other hand, he is exactly how I've always pictured Zaphod.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer for Ella Enchanted and I almost became physically ill. They have changed it almost beyond recognition and still managed to capture NONE of the spirit of the book. It looks like a live-action Shrek. I love the book, so I was heartbroken. At least I know to avoid it.

I'm pretty excited about the new Batman with Christian Bale. The guy from 28 Days Later is playing the Scarecrow. And Bale's latest movie, The Machinist looks intriguing. He lost 65 pounds for the part!

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
ROTK EE of course. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
ladykillers looks great.

and im interested in Jersey Girl to see how a non jay and silent bob Kevin Smith movie will turn out. I was never a fan of the jay and silent bob characters so i'm excited to see him move on.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
-The Passion of the Christ - Looks literally breathtaking.

-Jersey Girl - Kevin Smith's reflections on fatherhood.

- The Ladykillers - The Coen Brothers and Tom Hanks? Sign me UP!

-The Polar Express - Zemeckis can do no wrong.

-Troy - I have faith in Wolfgang Petersen.

-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Duh.

-Alamo - Looks epic. Here's hoping it's not of the bloated variety.

-Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Looks like pure cinema joy.

-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Charlie Kaufman is a MAD GENIUS.

-The Village - M. Night Shyamalan's latest

-Kill Bill, vol 2 - Yup.

-The Trilogy - looks like a fascinating conceptual work!

-The Incredibles - Pixar. 'nuff said.

[ January 30, 2004, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
re: the casting of Ford by a black guy... fun bit of trivia I learned from Neil Gaiman's Don't Panic book: there's a (Douglas Adams approved) version of Hitchhiker's that came out in '94 -- The Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- that had different scenes from the book illustrated using actors, sets, computer effects, etc., and that Zaphod was portrayed by a black guy (with a footnote added to the effect that anyone who looks at the photos and sees Zaphod as having short, dark hair is, alas, suffering from "Mad Human Disease"...)

Amazon link to the Illustrated version:

link

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ella Enchanted does look stupid.

In related news, if dreadful Hugh Jackman doesn't come back and they don't make the third X-Men movie, I shall kill myself.

*has just seen the first two*

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

- posted      Profile for shadowmaker           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars: episode 3. I'm not expecting a really great movie, based on episode 1 and 2, but it should still be good.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Girl With A Pearl Earring... can't wait! It comes here next week!!! [Big Grin]
I just saw it... Visually, it was the most beautifully crafted movie I've ever seen. It was like a painting itself. But it left out a lot of the details in the book, some of which are crucial. I wouldn't have understood it nearly as well if I hadn't read it. But it was still a beautiful movie, and Scarlet Johansen (sp?) was made for this role. It's a work of art.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that the production for Indiana Jones 4 is starting soon. [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of. Frank Darabont turned in his own finalized draft, but allegedly, Lucas isn't 100% pleased with it and is bringing in another writer to revise it.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I really would like to see Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman. Looks nice.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.