FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can Disney do ANYTHING right these days?

Author Topic: Can Disney do ANYTHING right these days?
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/29/news/companies/pixar_disney/index.htm

oh, and....

http://www.savedisney.com/

I think Roy might be on to something here. If there isn't some change quick, it could really hurt the Disney empire.

Icarus?

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you, Trogdor! I was just about to post that!

*ARROWS Trogdor*

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
**Nelson laughs**
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Quiet, you. Dead dragons don't talk.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
who the heck is Nelson?

*gets ye flask*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks God! Now I can watch Pixar films without feeling like I need to take a shower...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
No, they can't do anything right. Thank you Michael Eisner. As a shareholder, I'm seriously thinking about voting to oust that turkey.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug*

The Pixar thing's been coming for a while now. The Roy Disney thing has been the talk of the town for a month or so around here.

Is Eisner botching things up lately? It sure looks it. A bigger example than this, to me, would be the Katzenberger thing, since, with Dreamworks, he's produced one great movie after another since leaving Disney.

On the other hand, Roy Disney was part of the ship of fools (along with Card Walker, if memory serves) that mismanaged Disney to the point where the movie studio was virtually inactive for a decade (only producing such hits as The Black Hole and The Black Cauldron) and hostile takeover attempts loomed large on the horizon. Eisner did succeed in pulling them out of that and making them the giant they were a couple of years ago or so.

His biggest sins may have been overextending the company (largely an eye of the beholder thing, because the cruise line made their stocks tumble, but has been unbelievably successful as far as customers and actual profits go) and having the sort of huge ego that made him take credit for everything and alienate the other talent that he had around.

Maybe it's like Al Davis said, with regard to coaches: maybe even a successful CEO should only be with a company for so long before it's time for fresh blood. Frankly, neither Roy Disney (who always struck me as the useless nephew who got an administrative job due to his name) nor Eisner seems like a particularly good option right now. Whoever wins, or better yet, whoever else they get, I just hope Disney continues (or returns to) doing the things that made them so special to me.

Can Disney do anything right these days? Well, there's Pirates of the Carribean, the Pixar deal so far, Holes, a great year at the parks, attendance-wise, and Mission: Space.

(Oh, and I happen to like where I live, but I might be biased on that one. [Smile] )

[ January 29, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixar really needed to get out of that contract. The numbers are ridiculous for their current contract with Disney.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janger
Member # 4719

- posted      Profile for Janger   Email Janger         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody notice how all pixar movies revolve around their characters getting home?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janger
Member # 4719

At least they purchased studio Ghibli
Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Where'd you get that from? Disney doesn't own Ghibli. They are just allowed to release some of their movies in the US.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janger
Member # 4719

They own all their movies but aren't allowed to edit anything out. Basically the same thing.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't own the movies, only the right to distribute them in America.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to the original question: NO! Not since they froze Walt. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
How is Mission: Space, Ic? I've been alternately annoyed/intrigued by it ever since I went to Disney, walked down the path to get to Horizons, and found it closed. One of my absolute favorite rides. At least I have the illegal videos my dad made of that, World of Motion, and Journey into Imagination. You know, I honestly still can't believe that he was never caught doing that. It was a freakin huge video camera, too! *shakes head in disbelief*

Anyhow, spill the beans, Joe!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe Pixar is leaving Disney. That's like Homer losing weight or the computer losing its keyboard. You know it's possible, but you can never imagine it actually happening.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They don't own the movies, only the right to distribute them in America.
Actually, I believe they only have the right to distribute CERTAIN Ghibli films.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.