FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The best kid's books (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The best kid's books
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been saving the books I devoured as a child for my kids. Is it just me, or are the best children's books generally British? C.S. Lewis, Roald Dahl (okay, Norwegian-British,Lewis Carroll, and J.K. Rowling are all superb.

It seems to me that the best, most lasting children's stories:
1. Have to be good. Children don't like books because they're supposed to.
2. Have real struggles and dangers, not stupid Bowldlerized safed-down fluff and PC-evils as the ultimate bad. (i.e. books all about The Evils of Racism seemed preachy and silly to me when I was a kid. Those books seem like something an adult writes to make themselves feel better.)
3. Are well-written. (Why is it some writers believe that they can get away with writing crap for kids who, they think, are too dumb to notice?)

Okay, so, I've got Loius Sachar and Avi and Lemony Snicket. Anything else I should be collecting in advance for my children's prime reading years?

[ January 30, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Sachiko ]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We like the Olivia series. . . that is one cool pig.

Beverly Cleary's Ramona Quimby series. . . the Encyclopedia Brown books; The Three Detectives. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Watership Down.

The High King Series by Lloyd Alexander.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout this one. [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Sawyer; Huckleberry Finn for a precocious child; Little Men (which, while it may not be the masterpiece Little Women is, was easier and more enjoyable for me as a kid); The Chronicles of Prydain.

As for younger kids, who are into picture books, I go by authors. My favorites were Steven Kellogg, Mercer Mayer, Richard Scarry and, of course, Dr. Seuss. A newer one that is really good is Jan Brett.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Madeline L'Engle
Shel Silverstein
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

[ January 30, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are authors whose entire works I think every child should have:

• Robin McKinley
  • Tamora Pierce
  • Noel Streatfeild
  • Garth Nix
  • Margaret Mahy

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Tamora Pierce

Shade's Children, Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix

The Chosen and The Promise by Chaim Potok

James Herriot

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel Manus Pinkwater
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't say what age.

My son's most favorite book when he was still pre-literate was Burt Dow, Deep-water Man. It's a Robert McClosky book (he of Blueberries for Sal fame). It's wondefully written, and great fun to read aloud.

Another favorite one, also illustrated by McClosky, is The Man Who Lost His Head, about a man who wakes up one morning to realize he's lost his head. It's his adventures in trying to find it without looking conspicuous. One Amazon review said that it's too long to read aloud, but I disagree. I was compelled to read it aloud every night for a month, and it only takes about 20 minutes, even with dramatic pauses and sound effects. Burt Dow OTOH, is a two or three nighter, taking at least 45 minutes to read aloud.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Okay, I've read almost all of the above. Also, Jane Yolen and Katherine Patterson are good.

Who are Nix and Pinkwater? Are they new? I'm pretty up on the juvenile fiction scene up to about 5-10 years ago.

Any other wonderful developments since then?
(also: anybody else ever read Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs ? It's my favorite picture book. Just wondering. [Smile] )

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
My current favorite for little kids (mine are 4 and 2) is Dinosaur Bob and the Family Lazardo, by William Joyce.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

For ages, um, 4 years to 12 years. I plan on reading aloud. RIght now we're doing (besides the Book of Mormon) A Midsummer Night's Dream.

So, pretty much anything good. [Smile]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You already mentioned Roald Dahl, but specifically The BFG was the coolest book ever, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory came in at a close second. There was also a short book about...oh...something about dipping donuts in turkey gravy and blood, or something like that. And I think there was a fox in it. That book was cool, too.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Doughnut in turkey blood sounds like my last Thanksgiving. [Smile]

Also, Lynn Reid Banks is good stuff.

Keep 'em coming, I'm making a list.

(insert "naughty or nice" joke here)

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Pinkwater has been around since at least the mid-seventies. He writes children's, young adult, and adult novels, plus essays.

My favorite of his kid's books are The Big Orange Splot, Young Larry, and Guys From Space.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Like ludosti, The Phantom Tollbooth rocks!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
For the really little ones, I like about anything by Sandra Botnton. The pictures are fun and engaging, and the rhymes inspired, often very musical. They are usually board books, which is especially good for the 3 and under set, since they are nearly indestructable. That way the kids get to actually hold and touch them.

My boys' favorites were "The Barnyard dance" which works really well when delivered like a SquareDance song, and "Oh my, oh my, oh Dinosaurs" which they liked because of, well, the dinosaurs. Basically most of her stuff is lots of fun. Very lyrical.

Also, the art and stories of Eric Carle are very well-recieved in my house. The Very Hungry Cater Pillar, The Very Busy Spider, The Grouchy LadyBug, etc. He also illustrated the Brown Bear , Brown Bear What do you see? and two others that are similar. the boys loved them because I could sing them to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" so it was like a song and a story with pictures put together. they even sang it with me.

I never got into the Dr. Seuss much, being somewhat of a rationalist as a child (But eggs aren't GREEN, mommy. That's just stupid). I have one child that really digs him though, and another that goes for more of the P.D eastman stuff. Both are good for reading aloud to young, young children and also as beginner reading. They also tend to be lyrical, though I always found some of the Seuss stuff to be a little macabre and unsettling (There's a Wocket in my Pocket has a house full of strange creatures, and One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish has some fairly scary-looking monster-thingies).

I loved Where the Wild Things Are, as a kid. Daniel Kirk, Monica Wellington and David McPhail are all writer-illustrators of children's books that are fun and have unique visual style, too. Robert enjoyed Kirk's Nova's Ark, which had a nifty adventure story and some striking visuals, as well as McPhail's Something Special, about a young fellow's search for something that makes him special (turns out it's drawing and painting, which Robert excells at, too).

I'm reccommending things for very young children, here, with a focus on the art as well as the story. It's important to giev them something cool to look at when they are young, though I also tend to love the more lyrical stories.

Just thought I'd add a few rec's to the wee one section. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I remember that book. Whenever my husband and I argue about "jumping to conclusions" that scene in Phantom Tollbooth pops into my head with vexing incongruent whimsy when I'm trying to be serious. [Roll Eyes]
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Thanks, everyone [Smile]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
UofUlawguy:
quote:
A newer one that is really good is Jan Brett.
Newer? My favorite book was Fritz and the Beautiful Horses when I was little. I guess that was only 15–17 years ago, but that's not that recent. [Eek!] [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hadn't heard of her before, and the only books I've seen LOOK really new. I admit I haven't looked at the copyright dates, though.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Could Be Worse
Little Black Sambo for the less PC

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad and I are working on a book for second graders. Would they like a book about a pet crow? We had a pet crow when I was little so it is basically about that. My dads a Journalist so he's the one writing it and I'm illustrating... what sort of style, I'm still not sure... [Dont Know]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I read these books when I was 11-The White Mountains by John Christopher. At that time it was a trilogy but now has a prequel. That was my first taste of sci-fi and they have been read by me many times since as an adult.

People! Go get these books! Now! Here!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the books I read seem to be children's books. Some of the best I've read have been-
Pictures of Hollis Woods about a 12 year old girl who also draws and her search for a home instead of being bounced from foster home to foster home
Belioz the Bear for young children and anything by the writer of that because the art is stunning.
The His Dark Materials Series for an older child, it's pretty intense, but just... satisfying in every way for young and old
For young kids the Junie Jone series which is just cute and funny.
The American Girls series.
Stargirl by Spinelli for JR high kids and teens.
Maniac Magee for younger kids, teaches about racism without being preachy or PC
The Wringer by the same guy as those two...
Holes
And a lot more... Once I think of all of them.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, then there's that one book..Ender's Game I think it's called...might be worth picking up.... [Wink]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, did anyone say Cheaper by the Dozen or Where the Red Fern Grows? I love those! I still read them each twice a year.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

How could I forget Where the Red Fern Grows?

Everyone in my 4th grade class loved the Boxcar Children.

There an old autobiographical novel called Gene Rhodes, Cowboy that's pretty good, too.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

You know, there's also The Hobbit.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Anything by Louisa May Alcott, especially Little Women

Heinlein's pre-teen adventure SF books like Citizen of the Galaxy, Farmer in the Sky, The Star Beast, The Rolling Stones, Have Spacesuit Will Travel.

Walk Two Moons by I forget who.

For young kids, Officer Buckle and Gloria, by Peggy Rathmann is wonderful! Also Ruby the Copycat and Goodnight, Gorilla by the same author. For very young kids (babies) I love Pat the Bunny.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Betsy Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace are magnificient. They follow two girls, Betsy and Tacy, from the time they're five until Betsy gets married. The level of reading goes up as the characters age, meaning you should start on the first one right now!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite book whe I was little was" Where the Wild Things Are".
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Kipling's "Just So Stories"
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, jeniwren. Is that man who lost his head book, the one where he uses a turnip and a pumpkin and carved piece of wood for his heads?

If so, I love that book -- my grandmother had it when I was growing up.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Zal, that's the very book, yes. It's a great boys-book, I think. And lends itself to being read aloud so well. Our copy is literally falling apart, it's so well loved.

My mom wanted to be a children's book illustrator (and I think still would like to be someday), and so feels compelled to rescue beautifully illustrated books from Goodwill and the Salvation Army. The Man Who Lost His Head is one of those, as was Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was also a short book about...oh...something about dipping donuts in turkey gravy and blood, or something like that. And I think there was a fox in it. That book was cool, too.
Sounds like Fantastic Mr. Fox -- the three farmers who're after Mr. Fox have pretty disgusting eating habits...

dkw, you have good taste! It's always great to find other Pinkwater fans. The Big Orange Splot is one of my faves too. I also like his older teen ones (The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Doom,Young Adult Novel, etc.)

(For anyone who hasn't heard of Daniel Pinkwater: read these!! And especially his essay collections of NPR stories -- Fish Whistle and Chicago Days, Hoboken Nights.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

These are great, guys. Thanks so much for your advice.

I love Cheaper By the Dozen and actually try to use some of those time-saving techniques every day, as corny as it sounds.

Anyone here ever read John Bellairs?

Also, what are your opinions on fairy tales? There are a few I love because they seem to have survived the centuries with the important themes intact--"Rapunzel" is one of those. I love how the story follows her after marriage and motherhood and the prince's blindness.

Also, "Urashima Taro", anyone read that one?

Just wondering if you guys have run across really good collection. Better then Disney, more kid-friendly than the fantasy collections that include (coughpointlesscough) erotica.

Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're prepared to look a little further afield (ie: to Australia) You should investigate a few Aussie children's authors.

One that springs to mind is Robin Klien, whoose book Hating Alison Ashley is one of the funniest and best written books for 9-12 year olds that I have ever read...

For *amazing* picture books, those written and illustrated by Shaun Tan are incredible. The Lost Thing is my favourite, but all his stuff is amazing, and very deep.

I know Tan's books are published internationally, but I'm not sure whether Klien's still are. They shouldn't be out of print though, so I imagine you'd be able to chase them up....

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve--I forgot about the Betsy Tacy books! I'm totally going to look for them on Sunday when I go to the library, thanks!

I can't remember the author's name, but I always enjoyed the horse books written by the author who wrote Misty of Chincoteague . Ring a bell with anyone? It has totally slipped my mind and I'm too lazy to search. *sigh*

I'm trying to think of more books, but everyone's got so many good suggestions already, that I can't think of any right now.

Early Andre Norton? I know she wrote some stuff I liked when I was a kid, but might be too advanced for your wide age range.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom LOVED the Misty series. My brother and I liked it but nothing compared to my mom. We read the series forever, until it got to modern times, I think. Sorry, I don't remember the author.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
*big John Bellairs fan*

He eventually got kind of repetitive, but there are a good two dozen great books there.
My favorites:
The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost
The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt
The House with a Clock in its Walls
The Figure in the Shadows
The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn
The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb

Not only did he have great titles, but these things are illustrated by Edward Gorey! Edward Gorey, people! Score!

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
John Bellairs!

The first time I picked up, The house with a clock in its walls, I just stood in the same place for about two hours. Then I became seriously terrified of absolutely everything...

Good Gravy, that man is scary!

(And the illustrations are killer too!)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a second... Is Cheaper By the Dozen about that guy who seems totally OC because he had a specific way of buttoning his shirt?
I think I read that in a woman's magazine, and dang did that guy irratate me.

Nevermind, it's something completely different...

[ January 30, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds like Fantastic Mr. Fox
Yup! Bogus (?), Bunce and Bean - one fat, one short, one lean. These three dirty crooks, so different in looks, are nonetheless the same mean.

quote:
Anyone here ever read John Bellairs?
Yes! I will always remember Lewis Barnavelt, and something about a meerschaum pipe. I still haven't bothered to look up exactly what meerschaum means....

If you want to get kids hooked on really long series, try the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series. They're pretty easy reading (I was reading them by age six). Ooh, and that reminds me that you should also read them A.A. Milne - the original Winnie the Pooh stories.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
Sounds like Fantastic Mr. Fox -- the three farmers who're after Mr. Fox have pretty disgusting eating habits...
Yeah, that was it. I've got to buy that sometime...
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Oh, yes, A.A. Milne. [Smile]

Yes, that was part of what I loved about John Bellairs--the Edward Gorey illustrations. Anything by Edward Gorey is great! I make a point to watch Mystery! on TV just to see the introduction. [Smile]

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so my book is really geared toward Highschool kids, but it is still a kids book. in all honesty it might even be geared toward adults (i read it first as an adult) but its about a highschool kid in his freshman year. My Book?

Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

It is in my list of top 5 books of all time. regardless of age. it's amazing. and a very quick easy read but it will stick with you.

so go buy it...i'll wait.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Oh! that book was EXCELLENT! I loved it.
And ALSO:
Daphne's Book
Homecoming by Cynthia Voight
The whole Tillerman series by her.
These FREAKY books I read called The Fire Us Series, man, it was good. It goes good with that evanecence song they played so much last year and just gave me chills.
For older people though.
And Coroline
and Wise Child
Abel's Island
Harriet the Spy
Socks...

enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait a second... Is Cheaper By the Dozen about that guy who seems totally OC because he had a specific way of buttoning his shirt?
He might have done, but not because he was OC. He was a time and motion specialist (the people who observe a job and then work out how to do it more efficiently or more quickly, and used to use that knowledge for himself, especially with having so many children and therefore so much to do/organise. But it was also like a hobby to him.
Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.