FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The best kid's books (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The best kid's books
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
i grew up a horse girl, and have yet to grow out of it, so my favorite books as a kid were naturally horse books.

I'm fulfilling my dream of working with arabians that "The Black Stallion" began.

I also had a dream to go to Chincoteage and meet a wild pony that the Misty books (by Margurite Henry, jexx) sparked.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody else read The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks ?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
My son just read The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks. He said, "Mom, it's a whole series. I've only read one and it was good."

What has captured his 8 yr old attention recently is the Judy Blume Fudge Series:
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
Also Known as Shiela the Great
Double Fudge
Super Fudge
Fudge-A-Mania

He also enjoys the A-Z Mysteries and Magic Tree House series.

During first grade he read one of my childhood staples: The Billy and Blaze series by C.W. Anderson

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned. The ones that weren't mentioned include:

Kavik the Wolf Dog by Walt Morey

No Flying in the House by Betty Brock

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

White Fang by Jack London

San Domingo : The Medicine Hat Stallion by Marguerite Henry and Robert Lougbeed

E. Nesbit's
The Five Children and It
The Phoenix and the Carpet
The Story of the Amulet

And Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie series

My beginning reader is enjoying the reprinted collection of Dick and Jane stories, The World of Dick and Jane and Friends

Thanks so much for making me think of this list. It brings back such a wealth of wonder and joy of reading. [Smile]

[ January 31, 2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i read the plant that ate dirty socks!

i love that book. i was talking about it to my roommate yesterday.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Artemis Fowl is pretty good, although I didnt think it was as good as other people make it out to be.

Alot of the stuff mentioned on this thread is great, especially the Australian stuff, and Robin Klein

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
this book is for i'd say 7th grade + (some language) its an annual compilation part of the Best American Series.

Best American Nonrequired Reading of 2003(or 2002)
edited by Dave Eggers.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

[Embarrassed]

How could I have forgotten The Little House series? Forgive me, Laura!

These lists are great. Thank you for all the replies! [Razz]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone mentioned The Trumpet of the Swan? I think it was even better than Charlotte's Web, and definitely better than Stuart Little.

I also adored Diana Wynne Jones, but most of hers are a little older.

Jen

[ January 31, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Fyfe ]

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my childhood favorites:
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O’Brien
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books
Bridge to Terabithia
The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
Bridge to Terabithia and The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Patterson
Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech
Dancing Shoes by Noel Streatfield
Granny the Pag by Nina Gordon
A Little Princess and The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
Mick Harte was Here by Barbara Park
Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard Atwater
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Westing Game by Ellen Ruskin
Caddie Woodlong by Carol Rynie Brink
The Cay by Theodore Taylor
The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Anything by Louis Sachar-- not just Holes, but also the Wayside School books, and Dogs Don't Tell Jokes

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Walk Two Moons by I forget who
Sharon Creech.

I recommend the ORIGINAL Lassie book, Lassie-Come-Home by Eric Knight. It takes place in the UK in the 1930s--when the dad is laid off from his job as a coal miner and needs money to feed his family, the dog is sold to a new owner. She runs away from the new owner in the highlands of Scotland and must travel by herself back home to Yorkshire. The book has one of my favorite endings in all of literature.

(And there's no Timmy -- the boy is Joe Carraclough, who does NOT fall down a well or anything like that.)

Good picture books:

Patricia Polacco, Rechenka's Eggs
Dav Pilkey, Complete Adventures of Big Dog and Little Dog
Graeme Base, The Eleventh Hour
David Wiesner, Tuesday
Alexis Deacon, Beegu (about an adorable little alien)
Chris Van Allsburg, The Wretched Stone (read it and see if you can figure out what the stone symbolizes)

[ February 01, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
A book I just refound at the library: the return of the TWELVES. It's about toy soldiers and the Bronte chidlren and I loved it when I was little.

Also, The Castle in the Attic? or something to do with castles and attics, I really enjoyed in when I was in 5th grade.

The Thief and it's sequel by (I think) Megan Turner.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Wow, I didn't realize how many of these I'd read and loved and totally forgotten about.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
bump

I just finished Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It’s a fantasy story about a girl whose father works as a bookbinder and what happens to them when they get involved with a mysterious book that the father brings home. Throughout the book there is an element of magic, with strange creatures and strange people popping up, and strange things happening.

The book is full of strong characters, but the author tends to gush about books, the magic of books, the joys of reading aloud, and the art of crafting a good story. It all seemed a bit self-serving. My impression of this book is that it is too long, and it runs in circles, with the characters escaping and then getting recaptured a number of times.

I read Inkheart on the heels of reading another Cornelia Funke book called The Thief Lord . It is about runaway children, living together in Venice, making a living from stealing, and about a private detective who is trying to track them down.

As in Inkheart , there is an element of magic in The Thief Lord , but Funke doesn’t introduce magic until late in the story when she uses it to resolve the main conflicts. It seems like cheating to use magic after having painted such a realistic view of Venice. She should have hinted that there was magic in her world early in the story.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Did nobody else have a problem with the fact that Dahl solves all the problems in his book by killing off (or inflicting some sort of violence) on whoever the evil doer was? Boy and Going Solo were brilliant, the rest of his stuff is pretty meh.

Also, dkw is my hero for mentioning Daniel Pinkwater. Anybody who hasn't read The Snarkhouse Boys and the Avocado of Death and its sequel The Snarkhouse Boys and the Baconburg Horror is required to read them now. But I should warn you that the sequel doesn't hold a candle to the first one.

A favorite book of mine when I was growing up was The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles but nobody else seems to have read it. Maybe that's why I remember it so fondly?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ludosti ..The Phanotm Tollbooth. I still read that about twice a year.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I second most things already said. Margurite Henry wrote about Misty of Chincoteague plus about 30 other horse books for kids.

One I haven't seen Listed is Elizabeth Enright. They might be out of print, but our library has most of them. She wrote Gone Away Lake, Thimble Summer, and several books about the Melendy Family. Does anyone else remember these?

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'm supprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: "The best Christmas pagent ever" and "The best schoolyear ever".

When I was little, I also enjoyed:
Courderoy(sp?)
Paddington Bear
Follow Me
...I'll go check the bookshleves and list more later.
[Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see Chris Van Ellsburg and Graeme Base on the list. Any book by either author is a hit!

Others personal favorites that come to mind are:
A Wrinkle in Time
The Westing Game
Phantom Tollbooth
Chronicles of Narnia
Throught the Looking Glass
The Man Who was Poe
Julie of the Wolves
Words by Heart
The House at Pooh Corner

Oh, yeah. Ender's Game. [Wink] I've added it to my students' reading list for next year. I am so looking forward to it!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.