FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Give the gerbils some love!

Author Topic: Give the gerbils some love!
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerbils are now considered of general interest, I have decided. Post here about your experience with gerbils, and possible any other small pets.

Cause I love 'em! AND we're going to have babies soon! YAY!

Gerbies

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let your three year old child pet a gerbil after he eats Cheetos. Just don't.

And my rats could kick your gerbil's butts any day of the week. I just wish I still had my guinea pigs, though...now those were cool rodents.

[ January 31, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan got a dwarf hamster for Christmas. His name is Bean.

Valentine (the kitten) keeps trying to "play with him."

[Dont Know]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really am scared to see what happens if someone dobies this.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey rats are cool. I just dig the genetics of the gerbil. Now that's some interesting stuff.

And I used to have guinea pigs. They're so much fun, and they look like minature capybaras.

[ January 30, 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[No No] Belle. Though I have to admit I was afraid to open this thread.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...dobies and no-no's are not of general interest.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Tip to raise healthy baby gerbils: leave mama and babies alone for a few days after birth. Wear rubber gloves when you feed them and change their water, and don't totally clean the cage--just throw extra cedar chips down every once in a while (again, while wearing rubber gloves). Mama gerbils are very, very protective of their babies. They consider human scent to be a threat to their newborns, so you want to eliminate it as much as possible. Otherwise you'll end up with dead babies. [Frown]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Did you ever get one with blood on its eye? Is it actually its mucus?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, as I do anticipate becoming grandma to some type of rodent next year. I had hamsters as a kid. It seemed like all the normal kids had gerbils. So I have that "dislike of trendy" feeling toward them. Unless they are black, I guess.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I just like gerbils better because you can get two. I heard hammies need to be by themselves usually.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
my gerbils (or were they hamsters?) all ate eachother after they had babies.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I had gerbils for years when we were young. We had lots of litters of baby gerbils (which are really cute when they're about a week old). Do make sure to take the male out as soon as the babies are born (or he'll harrass the mom) and keep him separated for at least a week or so. Be sure to keep him in a secure location because he will try to escape. Be careful about the scent thing with new babies (like xnera said). After about the first week, our female was fine with us playing with the babies. We used to trade our baby gerbils to pet stores for supplies.

Our last litter was very sad. [Frown] A couple of the babies died a few days after they were born. A week or two later all the rest of the babies and the mom died too. [Frown] The dad was heartbroken (no, he didn't kill them). He ended up living for several years (outliving another female) and in the end committed gerbil suicide (squezed out of his cage and lept to his death off the desk his cage was on).

Our gerbils and my cat got along fine (but we did put the gerbils in either a glass aquarium with a mesh lid weighted down so the cat couldn't open it, or with their wire cage inside an aquarium so the cat wouldn't be tempted to reach between the bars).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Tomorrow I will have to have a gerbil funeral. Harmony/Hominy died tonight after contracting an upper respiratory infection from me. At least she's not having trouble breathing anymore. She was a good gerbil. Now Peas/Peace is left all alone.
[Frown]
Rain

[ May 08, 2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Dead_Horse ]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paercival
Member # 1408

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerbils are awesome! So are guinea pigs.
My bro and I had many gerbils - we never tried to breed them though. THey're soooooo cute and playful. they're awesome
We had this one gerbil, vanilla, that totally changed my life. He was the best and I still think about him a lot 13 years after he passed away.

Posts: 348 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if paercival would see this thread [Smile]

Gerbils make me happy.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Aww, Rain, I am so sorry! That's terrible. I don't know what I'm going to do with Anne's mate when she dies, because she is so much older than he is, so I know he'll be left alone for a long time. If you can find a gerbil breeder near you, you can get a pup that is the same sex as Peace. Older gerbils do not do well when introduced to another adult, but they do pretty well with pups.

Oh, and are you treating Peace for a respiratory infection? That's very important, since it's so contagious.

[ May 09, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Richard Gere
Member # 6534

- posted      Profile for Richard Gere   Email Richard Gere         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my kind of thread. [Smile]
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
gaaack [Eek!]
quote:
Plague appears...after a rise in the gerbil population.
[Angst]
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was wrong about the respiratory infection. She was never clicking or wheezing. She was just hunched over on top of her wood block and rocking back and forth with her heartbeat and her eyes were really bulging out. When she died, it looked like a heart attack. They are kind of old for gerbils (3-1/2 years).

Peace is fine so far. I disinfected the tank and gave her new bedding and food and water.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrimsonReaper
Member # 6532

- posted      Profile for KrimsonReaper           Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA!! I was wondering if R. Gere would find this. Don't know much about gerbils, but I ran over a dead skunk yesterday with the lawn mower. At least I think it was a skunk.
Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Rain- I would give Peace ornacycline in the water bottle for at least a week...that way your bases are covered just in case it was something communicable. It couldn't hurt, anyway. But yeah, 3.5 years is pretty old. Poor guys. [Frown]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.