FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pick Mayday's Next Book!

Author Topic: Pick Mayday's Next Book!
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's the deal: I have a late-night job at a front desk at a nearby dorm. I'm not allowed to do homework, but I can bring 'leisure reading' books to read when it's slow. I am currently reading 'The Chronicles of Narnia' (finally, I know), and flying though the books at unnatural speeds.

Any suggestions about what to read next? Expand my mind, people. God knows I need it. [Wink]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Perks of Being A Wallflower ~~ Stephen Chbosky

You Shall Know Our Velocity ~~ Dave Eggers

The Best Nonrequired Reading of 2003 ~~ edited by Dave Eggers

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
To Say Nothing of the Dog , Connie Willis

anything by Neal Stephenson or Terry Pratchett

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have been rereading a few books recently and among the most recent is:

The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like to read plays, read "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" by Steve Martin. GREAT play.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
read ALL IN THE TIMING by David Ives. its a collection of one act plays that are hysterical.

and read Shopgirl by Steve Martin (its a novella)

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
ooh!
"The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis"
I second that! I haven't read it yet, but plan to read it in the next little while, my brother was telling me bits about it. I can't wait!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
The Screwtape Letters is very good.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
His Dark Materials-Philip Pullman
Last Samurai-Helen DeWitt, but it's not what you think...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of book do you want?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly like fantasy-ish, sci-fi is okay too, but I'm basically open to read anything. Currently, I'm reading the Silmarillion on audio CD (thank you Amazon.com), and I'm getting though two CDs a shift (13 in all). I've read His Dark Materials, but I need to reread it... If you talk to Bernard in chat, ask him his opinion on The Amber Spyglass .
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
read ALL IN THE TIMING by David Ives. its a collection of one act plays that are hysterical.

I would second this. My school put it on last year and it was hilarious.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read The Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass last week (read SK sunday-Tuesday, AS Wednesday) and I sobbed the rest of the night.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.