FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Superbowl Halftime -- did I see what I think I saw (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Superbowl Halftime -- did I see what I think I saw
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] What happened to my post? Oh well. I started out saying Bok had a good point (about CBS withholding the airtime from "child's pay" but not this.)

CBS is tricksy, falssssse.

[ February 02, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't believe it wasn't planned. at the very least justin and janet knew, and probably mtv as well.

i've done some incredibly silly things, but i don't think i've ever glittered up my nipples underneath my clothing just to feel "sassy."
not to say that i've ever glittered them up for public display or glittered them up, period.
but seriously, i don't believe that was all an accident.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Porce, you're just bowing to societal pressure.

I wear cast-iron pasties around the office, myself. I find that it gives much more memorable annual performance reviews.

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It was most definitely planned.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Women's clothes don't just fall off. If they did, the world would be a much better place. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you know that I watched the entire thing and didn't notice? I guess it proves I am a female, because a guy might have. Steve was only half watching while he was ironing so that doesn't count.(No, I don't iron. Yes he did because he had some important meeting today.) I actually did like the Nelly/P.Diddy combo for the most part. Kid Rock, though I like him was redundant and unnecessary. I was mostly laughing through the Janet parts because the stage was hideous, though I did like the idea of using balloons as 3-d white screnne.

Superbowl halftimes amuse me. They try to cram as much "entertainment" down your throat as possible in a minimal amount of time and it just turns out stupidly funny for the most part.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

In looking at the fabric construction from the pictures, I can't help but wonder if it was supposed to tear off to reveal the semi-transparent red lace not the entire boob. The flash of red would have made a more striking visual contrast.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss brought up an interesting marketing fact.

The Superbowl is the most watched annual event on television.

It is watched by adult men and women alike, who gather around in large parties and enjoy it.

So much hype has drawn so many people that nearly every demographic is drawn in, if to do nothing else but watch the best commercials of the year.

Boys who play football watch it. Mom and Dad watch it. Older teens watch it with their friends or dates or just so they can talk about it at school on Monday.

There is only one demographic not attracted to the Superbowl--Preteen/young teen Girls ages 11 to 15.

So how does the market heave Superbowl Advertising team deliver this market? They bring in MTV and the stars the girls drool over.

This explains how Janet Jackson, crouch grabbing Nellie, and Justin TImberlake make it to the overlong Superbowl halftime show.

(It has been argued that the halftime show, which lengthens the halftime break, breaks the flow of the game and results in poorer game performance. However, to lure the young girls in, we'll enjoy not as good football.)

While most of us did not catch this act, most of us are not the preferred audience. It is probable that those young women were watching and did catch this flash. Its nice to know that the greatest merchandising machine ever created is showing our young women that nipple rings, ripping off of clothing, and flashing the world are behaviors to be applauded.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It was planned - there were comments put out before the game from Jackson's camp saying her peformance would have some shocking moments.
They lyrics Timberlake sang were "I'm going to get you naked by the end of this song." It was planned, and I don't buy "wardrobe malfunction" for a second.

To sum up my opinions on what has been brought up on this thread :

Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing, I support any mother who wants to breastfeed and while I have no objection to them feeding in public, I think discreetly using a sling or blanket as cover is a good idea, just because I'm naturally a modest person in public. I don't think women should have to stand and feed in a restroom for goodness sakes, and if stores are concerned about them feeding "out in the open" then why not provide a nice, clean, comfortable area for them?

CBS doesn't have much of a leg to stand on as far as I'm concerned. They can claim they didn't know anything before hand but for the love, they booked MTV to produce the halftime show? What do you expect? There's a reason my husband and I blocked that channel on our satellite system. Not just to keep our kids from watching it (none of them have ever wanted to watch it) but to keep them from seeing anything appropriate by accident by switching channels.

I agree with Taberah. Super Bowl parties are a common thing, a lot of churches get together with their youth groups and watch the games, and children are around when parents watch sporting events for the most part - a football is usually something you think it's fairly safe for your kids to watch. I don't like the cheerleader uniforms either, but I do expect that when I'm watching a sporting event my children won't have to watch a man rip a woman's clothes off and expose her breast.

quote:
Shouldn't you be making a sandwich or something?
quote:
"I saw a booby while watching football and then my baby's head did a 360 and he spit up pea soup, which is o.k. because he does that a lot most times, but this time his eyes glowed a kind of cherry red and he said in this gravelly bass voice that I let 'the dark one' into my apartment because your show is a portal to evil through Janet Jackson's evil, evil boobies. *cough* Anyway, go Panthers!"

Am I supposed to find these comments funny?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
So long as Eddie gets his sandwhich I don't think he cares.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Drudge says CBS approved it beforehand.

Oh, man, they just updated the page to show a really big close-up of it. Yeah, that ain't no pasty. I wonder what was really supposed to happen. The "wardrobe malfunction" seems a bit lame, but if they really were planning on only the black coming off, I guess it could happen. Maybe that is what CBS signed off on. Who knows. Either way, planned or wardrobe malfunction, it was still incredibly tacky.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have halftime shows EVER been good? I mean, even the U2 halftime was, at best, not completely and agonizingly intolerable for seconds at a stretch.
Good heavens. You really are getting old and crotchety, aren't you, Tom? [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I was planning on reading Drudge's information, I guess I didn't think the pictures would be right there at the top. [Eek!]

OH well.

With my limited knowledge of sewing and clothing construction - I would have to say there is no way only the top layer was supposed to come off. There is no real indication that the red layer was meant to stay - there is no torn piece of red material left behind, and the black layer at least was attached only by snaps. Easy to pull off. I don't see what fasteners were there to hold the red piece on, if there were any at all.

Don't see how this could be classified a "wardrobe malfunction"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My theory: Janet was covered up almost head to toe. Almost unusually covered up for that kind of show. Unless it wasn't meant to stay that way.

Anyone else want to take bets that it was the beginning of "getting her naked by the end of the song"?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polly
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The tearing of Janet Jackson's costume was unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional and was inconsistent with assurances we had about the content of the performance
From MTV's statement quoted in CNN.

Just how stupid do they think we are?

And frankly, I didn't think the show was even remotely entertaining. Seriously, Kid Rock? Who wants to see skinny white trash screaming into a microphone. And I couldn't understand any of the lyrics. I had to ask a friend who was watching with me if there was any relevance to the song they were singing... maybe I'm just getting old.

Fortunately, my children had gotten bored with the game and were reading in their bedrooms, so they didn't see any of the half time show.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Question - why would MTV or CBS plan or want this to happen?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Janet Jackson has a new album coming out.

She need press.

The words MTV, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake and CBS have been mentioned in the press today more than they have been in the past 6 months combined.

Press, even bad press, is good for album sales and ratings.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

they also advertised for her mcing the grammys next week.

Actually I was thinking about it, and I know an incredible amount of rehearsal went into making that circus. Then she has a week to rehearse at the Grammy's? THat is running a really tight schedule.

I'll take my sometimes boring engineering job any day, even if I don't get superstar pay.

AJ

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the FCC to find links between Justin Timberlake and al-Qaida...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
...Not to mention breasts and explosives.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm waiting for the FCC to find links between Justin Timberlake and al-Qaida...
Don't give them ideas, plaid.

The thing that I find most stupid about this whole thing (and there's a whole lot stupid about it), is that there is now some congressman (can't remember his name right now, and I wouldn't repeat it and give him the publicity if I did) who wants to mount a whole big investigation about this. Isn't he aware that there are actual important things going on in the nation and in the world?

Yes, the whole thing was tasteless. If it had been me, and I hadn't expected it to happen, I'd have slapped the boy silly. (Of course, then again, somebody would have started complaining about violence on TV. [Roll Eyes] ) I don't know what anyone expected, though. It's the Superbowl half-time show - tastelessness personified, in my opinion.

But you know what? The republic isn't going to fall because of it. Now, can we go on to something else? Something that, oh, matters.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Just because it doesn't matter to you, lma, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to others. Particularly parents, or say, church group leaders who held superbowl parties for their youth groups.

Personally, I think it's probably not the worst thing ever done on TV, but it is the worst thing I've ever seen in a show that was supposed to be family friendly. There are no ratings warnings on the superbowl.

I expect this type of display from MTV or from some of the prime time tabloid reality shows. I do not expect it when I'm sitting with my 4 children all under the age of 12 on a Sunday evening watching a sporting event.

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
by Tresopax

Question - why would MTV or CBS plan or want this to happen?

For the ratings. The higher the ratings the more they can charge for advertising. This will be remembered for next year which will draw more viewers to see what will top this years performance.

[ February 02, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: BookWyrm ]

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle - I'm sorry if I didn't state my point very well.

I didn't say I thought that what happened was appropriate in the least. However, I think the real harm is in so many people having kittens over it in the aftermath. Things like that wouldn't happen if people would just ignore them. Why in the world do you think they did that in the first place? They wanted to get a rise out of people - and they got exactly what they wanted. And it'll happen again, because it worked this time.

I guess my point was that people are making too big a deal about something that, really, isn't all that significant in the universal order of things. If people would pay a hundredth as much attention to the really serious things that are going on in the world, maybe some of those serious problems would get solved.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think people should make a big deal about it, and I'm a person firmly in favor of naked breasts.

But this was in prime time, and as Belle pointed out in a show that was supposed to be family-friendly. The lines were there, and they chose to cross them. They should be penalized for it. If we let it slide, if it's no big deal, then next year it'll be full frontal nudity, or simulated sex on the 50 yard line.

It's like raising kids. Swiping $5 from mom's purse isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things and certainly nothing compared to what some kids do. But ignoring it or letting it slide is telling the kid that the line hasn't been crossed yet, and that encourages him to see what else he can get away with.

Again, I'm all for nude entertainment. I'm a big fan. But I want it labeled and someplace where I have to go looking for it, not where it can be seen by kids or anyone who would be offended by it.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
see, intention and context makes all the difference. if janet was dancing in a lowcut blouse and one of the girls accidentally popped up to say hi, that's one thing, but to show a young man ripping off part of her top in front of a cast of thousands?
no way, jose.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
CBS didn't plan the halftime show. MTV produced it for them. And they officially have been told they never will again.

wasn't watching football, so i didn't have to see Nsync boy dance.

The Really gross thing, is with all the dancing and insinuating between the two, Janet is old enough to be Justin's mother, at least. Yikes

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Am I supposed to find these comments funny?

Am I supposed to take your comments seriously?

Hint: Answer is 'yes' to both. [Razz]

[ February 02, 2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/03/sports/football/03HALF.html

quote:

Jackson and Timberlake did not rehearse stripping anything from Jackson's body in front of MTV, CBS or National Football League officials. But McGrath said they privately planned an ending to coincide with the lyrics, "I gotta have you naked by the end of this song."
According to two executives close to the production... Jackson, Timberlake and Jackson's choreographer, Gil Duldulao, apparently worked out new plans in her dressing room.

In a statement, Jackson said: "The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my halftime show performance was made after final rehearsals. MTV was completely unaware of it. It was not my intention that it go as far as it did. I apologize to anyone offended — including the audience, MTV, CBS and the N.F.L."

Her spokesman, Stephen Huvane, said the breast-baring was a result of a "garment malfunction." He said that Timberlake was supposed to "peel away" Jackson's rubber bustier "to reveal a red lace bra."

"But the garment collapsed," Huvane said.
After the fact, CBS executives were told that the plan had simply gone wrong. Again Jackson was supposed to have something on under the outside costume. But Timberlake's action pulled off both layers of material, leaving her breast exposed, except for a medallion she wears as a nipple ring.

[ February 02, 2004, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Jill ]

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frameshifter
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Frameshifter           Edit/Delete Post 
the cup that was torn away was attached by snaps, it was made to come off like that. And while I don't wear large nipple jewelry or even have boobs, I suspect the large nipple shield Janet was wearing could not be worn underneath normal clothing.

However I cannot exactly get upset by it. I see many more breasts than that just checking my email.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

hmm, now that i see that it was jewelry instead of a pasty or glitter, i am actually a little more hesitant to call them out on it. i actually know of people that wear those sorts of rings for their own personal amusement, whether anyone sees them (during the day, at least) or not.

but see, thing is, even if they meant to just tear away to the red lace, it STILL bothers me. just because i don't like such a widely watched cultural celebration of tossing a damn funny shaped ball depicting a man tearing off a woman's top. nipples or no nipples!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
At least Janet Jackson admits it was planned:

Linky

quote:
Jackson spokesman Stephen Huvane said the incident "was a malfunction of the wardrobe; it was not intentional. ... He was supposed to pull away the bustier and leave the red-lace bra."
SSUUURREEE!!

quote:
The stock price of Viacom, the parent of CBS, rose more than 1 percent Monday
How convenient!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl -- by all reports it was planned to be that way. It was never rehearsed during the week (there are numerous witnesses for that), and there's distinct surprise on her face when it happened. Plus, I'd bet she would rarely wear a red lace bra under a black performance outfit like that one, preferring instead a more comfortable bra (this part is purely guesswork, of course), which suggests she intended the bra to be exposed.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Fugu -- have you tried to rip a bra off lately? More likely he will pull her off balance than have it give that easily.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it was lace, and didn't have an underwire.... I suppose it could have torn that easily.

(Am I really having this conversation?)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's very hard to rip bras off, but well worth the effort. [Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Still, that has GOT to be one flimsily-constructed bra.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else see the boob and say, "Hmmm, well, I'm not that impressed"?

You'd think with all of the plastic surgery in that family, the breast shown would have been, err, ummm, more impressive...

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
A little show and no tell
San Jose Mercury News - 55 minutes ago
"It wasn't the breast on TV that made the Super Bowl halftime show so disturbing. It was the boobs who put it on."

I like the above summary statement.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone thought to do analysis of the bra? Like several have said, ripping a bra, even a lace bra, can't be that easy. I think some forensic testing is necessary.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

guess I've never thought about whatever it is that makes a boob "impressive" [ROFL]

Okay, okay -- we're getting carried away and it's my fault. I apologize. This is family board...

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

While driving into work, the radio announcer (on the news station) managed to use "wardrobe malfunction" in the context of the weather(or was it traffic). Either way he slipped it in very smoothly and I was amused.

AJ

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
If it was one of the front-clasp bras, well, those things are really easy to get off.

So I've heard.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I have owned a couple front clasp bras and I generally dont like them. The ones I had, had a plastic clasp that could pop loose with a shrug of the shoulders the right way. But they were also uncomfortable, IMO< because the plastic clasp digs into the center of your sternum.

Normal bras can be removed almost as easily though if the guy has practiced...

[Wink]

AJ

Frisco
Member # 3765

Yes, but not so much by tearing at the cup.

Not that I've tried. But I had a friend who did.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I had one from VS that I really liked... I think it was one of those Body ones. Very comfortable. Wouldn't have ripped off, either. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

(I still wouldn't expect either kind of bra to TEAR off, even the flimsiest tend to resist tearing than that. Though she didn't really need a bra with that bustiere (sp?) so maybe she just had a little piece of red lace tucked in there relatively looseley.)

AJ

Frisco
Member # 3765

Where does it say that the bra tore? I see where it says that the top layer was meant to tear-away.

Either way, it looks as if I'll have to perform some experiments.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid we are all asking the wrong questions here. The question we SHOULD be asking is:

Where did Janet get that cool metal sun pastie and where can I buy them?

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I don't think it was a pasty, Alucard.... I think it was a piercing.

Still interested?

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.