FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eating Them Black Eyed Peas Works

Author Topic: Eating Them Black Eyed Peas Works
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who have refused every year to consume the Black Eyed Peas as tradition tell us to, get ready to start shoveling next year.
I am one of those who hates those stupid traditions. Boy was that a mistake. I have not had them durn peas on New Years Eve ever. I have pretty much been on the fast track down the whole time. Last year in May I hit Rock bottom. Lost my Job (just over broke), lost my apartment, lost my way. For * months I was living in my car. Not getting any jobs and looking like the only work or money I was going to receive was the little My Brother-In-Law could work me. Luckily There was a karaoke Bar that opened up in town. Anyone who knows me knows I love to sing and that I do it well. "Geee...," She sighs, "he sure sings swell." So I would frequent this bar every night. The owner who was also the Entertainer told me to keep coming back. All he cared about was that I was a gentleman, I had a great voice, people loved listening to me sing, and even though I was drinking water I was a warm body that would promote other bodies. He didn't know my situation for a long time. One day I went up to him and asked if he needed any help with the show on his nights off. It was then that he learned that I lived in my car.
I loved this Bar. I loved these people. I suddenly had a Home. For the first time in my life, people were actually comming up to me introducing themselves, giving me compliments, and when they learned of my situation helping me with job suggestions. All of a sudden the introverted extrovert was comming out in me. The bar Rick's MAIN EVENT was planing a big New Years Eve party. Stacy Jones the owner and entertainer told me that I could come out and not to worry about the 25 dollar cover charge. I offered to help him with anything he needed that night so I would not feel like I was being a charity case. He liked that and asked me to help work the door and check ID's that night. I don't know why but I ate a spoonfull of Black Eyed Peas that night. The next day my Brother-in-Law made me eat a bowlfull while he watched. He wanted to make sure I had plenty in my system.
One week later the bar manager suddenly asked me to help out behind the bar. I was elated. I busted my ass and did what came naturally. All of a sudden I was asked to work two nights a week as barback. Hell I was going to be there anyway. Then they asked me to do some painting that needed to be done around the bar. The next night Stacy told me go see a friend; he had talked me up and recommended me for a job. All of a sudden I had three jobs. Then I am asked to host the monday and sunday night shows. For seven Years I was a karaoke Host in Colorado. I blew them away.
It is now three weeks later and I am having to turn down work because I dont have enough time in the day. It looks like I have a new place to live this week. We will see how that pans out. Both bosse are arguing (jokingly) over when they each get to work me. They both have big plans for me in the expansions of their operations.

Life is good
Due to a couple of silly spoonfulls of Black Eyed Peas.

[Hat]

[ February 02, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a spoonful of Blacked-Eyed Peas, and I lead a charmed life.

So there.

But congrats on your turn of fortune! I hope it continues!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I was unaware of the Black eyed peas tradition until someone mentioned it in passing. What exactly is it all about?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Until now, I have never heard anything about a tradition about eating black-eyed peas.

By a strange coincidence, as a child I was convinced there were important things people were keeping secret from me.

I was right. [Grumble]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
You sure you didn't eat any cabbage too?
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it a New Year's Day tradition? So if we didn't have any -- it is already too late to make amends this year?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only dimly aware of the existence of black-eyed peas as something that people might eat, much less something to which traditions could be attached.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I never knew that Tom D was ever dimly aware of anything

[Hat]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite my complete lack of any knowlege concerning black-eyed peas, I'm glad you're back on your feet, Robey.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now I want black-eyed peas for lunch.

Losing my television has made me so susceptible to advertising.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this many people haven't heard of this. I grew up eating black eyed peas and cabbage on New Year's day. Seems to be a big thing in New Orleans.

Cabbage is for money and black eyed peas is for luck. I don't know exactly whence this tradition came, but there you go.

(aside: I actually didn't eat them this year, I guess we'll see how things turn out. Actually not so perfect so far.)

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I'm also happy for the turnaround for you, Yebor1. Let's not give all the credit to peas and luck, though.

IMO, life's a combination of of luck and initiative. You got some luck in someone taking an interest and giving you a break - the "busting ass" part was all you. That part has nothing to do with luck.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad your life is turning around Yebor; you've had a tough time of it. Congratulations on the sudden change of fortune!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a southern tradition because the way I heard it you have to eat hopping john (black eyed peas mixed with rice) and fatback (any pork cut will do, but the profaner forms of pork bring the most luck). <laughs> It's not a tradition my family follows, (since my mother's mother's mother was from Ohio we're basically just transplanted yankees), but that's the way I've always heard it.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Robey, congratulations on the turn in your luck! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur

[Big Grin]

Congratulations!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Acftually I am fairly certain it is a southern tradition. [Hat]
sndrake
Member # 4941

I am thinking, that being from New Hampshire and all, no one ever told Howard Dean about black-eyed peas, either.

Betcha John Edwards ate his. [Wink]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day all my life. I truly believe that terrible bad luck will plague me if I do not.

New Year's Day is a holiday in the South (or at least the part where I grew up). It's not just for sleeping off New Year's Eve debauchery. All holiday decorations must be taken down and thrown away - it's bad luck to keep them up. There is a huge family supper and no matter what else is on the menu, it always includes black-eyed peas for luck and greens for money. The greens are usually collards, but my aunt always makes spinach because all of my cousins and I hate collards. It's particularly nice for my family because we are not all of the same faith (don't ask) and we get an evening to celebrate in a secular manner.

We were always told that the custom is from the War Between the States (aka the Civil War aka the War of Northern Aggression [Roll Eyes] ). When the Yankees moved through the South, they burned homes and crops. They left the black-eyed peas (or "cow-peas") because they thought they were weeds. Many of our ancestors survived the winter on the black-eyed peas, which was pretty lucky.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Here is another southern dish I have tried.

Polk salad.

I had a friend who would pull it off of the sides of the road on his property and cook it.

[Hat]

Yebor1
Member # 1380

I am not that fond of Black Eyed Peas anymore. I ate them like gangbusters growing up.
Now I prefer a nice juicy and properly seasoned Ranch Style Bean with my Rib Eye.

[Hat]

[ February 02, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Polly
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned once to a friend that I'd never eaten black-eyed peas. She gaped at me in shock and asked "What do you eat on New Years Day???"

It was such a non-sequitur to me. I never ate anything particular for New Years. She explained the tradition (I guess it's common in the South? She was from Texas).

I have had black-eyed peas since, when others have brought them for pot-lucks. One fellow I used to work with always made black-eyed pea chile, which was very tasty. But I'm not even sure if the stores here carry them.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Jewish custom to eat black-eyed peas on New Years too. Not January 1st; Rosh Hashana. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Tonight I set a record for monday night business at the bar. Horaah
Yebor1
Member # 1380

Learned that my boss has decided to up my bonus's.

Now I get $75 a night for any show we make over $500 and a $100 for any night we make over $800

Damn I only missed The big bonus by $43 last night.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yebor -- you should have bought $43 worth of drinks for random people [Smile] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Robey? That cute actress from Friday the 13th the Series? She's a Jatraquero?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

I was facinated by her as a kid because she had the same name as me.

She also has a few albums out and She was a French Supermodel for a long time

But I am not her

[ February 04, 2004, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... My family always eats pork and sauerkraut for New Year's. Next year it'll be black eyed peas for me! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.