FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the best Star Wars song?

Author Topic: What's the best Star Wars song?
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the debates over the best movie.... what's the best song?!

Star Wars Theme?
Imperial March?
Jedi Theme?
Duel of the Fates?
Across the Stars?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Imperial March.
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Best song, Best theme, or best cue?

'cause Best Song would have to be Bill Murray's version of the main theme. [Wink]

Best Theme in my opinion is the Force Theme. "Han Solo and the Princess" is also a wonderful theme.

Best CUE would have to be the finale and end credit suite for EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

Simply brilliant.

[ February 03, 2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The one that goes MM mmm muh muh muh MMMMMM mmmm muh muh muh MWAAAAAAH! I think it's the Leia/Solo love theme.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Lessee...hm, while Imperial March is cool, I don't think it's overall best. Same with Duel of the Fates. I'd have to go either with the main theme, or the song that plays when Luke is looking up at the sunsset in the first movie.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

That's the force theme [Big Grin]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
any votes for "The Saga Begins?" [Wink]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
do dee, do dee, do dee do. do-do-do-da di doo, doo.(The cantina Song)

or even better.

Weird Al's "Jedi Pie" or whatever the "American Pie" take off is.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You will die alone!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some absolutely great "Star Wars" songs over at TheForce.net in their humor section. I am particularly fond of the Yoda sunscreen song, the cantina song and the Darth Maul song. Very good stuff.

Edit: Oh, don't forget to listen to the great "Peripheral Characters" song. It is a riot.

[ February 03, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Jexxster ]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all the Star Wars music is incredible. It sticks in your head like it strikes some prehistoric craving left over in the lizard brain.

At least it does for me [Wink] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Fates.

(Notice the period at the end there) [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Saga Begins.

I do occasionally listen to the star wars soundtracks, but not often enough to know specific themes.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
From my limited music experience, I have to say that the Imperial March is the one of the most brilliant orchestral works in any movie ever. EVER. His use of the orchestra, combinations of instruments and effects with their tone colors is truly wonderful as is his sheer genius with the prolonged ending ...um...well. Cadence. (Sorry, snotty music word. It just means...ending.) [Big Grin]

Yeah, the Imperial March gets my vote.

After that comes Anakin's Theme. I love the way Williams subtly sneaks in the imperial march theme for some forshadowing fun!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theorist B
Member # 6173

- posted      Profile for Theorist B   Email Theorist B         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewok Celebration Song... with out a doubt
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

The "Yub Yub" version?
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
The Throne Room Finale from A New Hope

I use to annoy my friends in the army because every night before we went out to the bars i would Play it at top level. Really pissed them off when they couldn't hear their George Strait.

[ February 04, 2004, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Yebor1 ]

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hands-down, the Imperial March. It achieves exactly what it intends to achieve, is instantly memorable, and perfect for the mood.

After that, I'd have to say that I really miss the Yub-Yub song.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe y'all aren't voting for Weird Al's Yoda. Bunch of barbarians, you are!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
All of the music is incredible, and I don't have a problem with any of it. However, the best single piece of music from any of the Star Wars movies is the jazzy little piece the band plays in the Mos Eisley cantina in Episode IV. Have you ever heard that played live by a jazz band? Unbelievable.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate was doing a speech on opera and I helped her with the sound bites. We used the Imperial March as an example of a leitmotif. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo! No Doubt doing the Imperial March! So good...
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Luke's theme the best--I don't know the actual title of the song. I love it in ROTJ when he's starting the battle over the big pit on Tatooine.

I remember my roommate watching Star Wars once, as I was hanging out in my room. I remember thinking how great the sound was on that movie. Some of the acting was dismal, the whole thing is kind of cheesy, but MAN, the sound and music is awesome.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Any room for the Gungan Victory song at the end of Episode I? At least I like the brass part in it a lot. All the gungany noises are a little crazy. (We played it in marching band for a stands tune though)
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Imperial March is the best but it's definately an earworm. Once you hear it, it sticks in your mind forever. Just the title of this thread made it immediately come to mind, and now it's stuck there again....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a confession to make. I never saw Star Wars (in any form) until I was 17 and they were re-released. I saw them out of order, with Empire Strikes Back first. Anyway, I had no idea the Imperial March, which you hear on commercials etc, had anything to do with Darth Vader.

So much of that movie music has moved to the mainstream subconsious that it was a revelation for me, seeing where it all came from!

AJ

(I like the gungan victory dance too, In fact that and the Mos Eisely cantina jazz have some similar themes running through them, though I've only thought that from listening, I haven't actually looked at the score.)

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Imperial March and Duel are both incredibly awesome. Can't decide.

Oh, and in terms of humorous songs, Yoda wins with fair competition.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it's a close tie between the cantina song and the ewok celebration ("Yub Yub")....
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any doubt that, 100 years from now, John Williams will be considered the greatest composer of our era?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Vaders Its all about Vader.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.