FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Name the Baby! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Name the Baby!
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Great. I hope you know that rebekah IS the original spelling.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, I have one too, and I agree with that... but make sure you have one that people can pronounce.
Word.

Actually, Javert, Aimee is the original spelling of the name. It is French, meaning beloved.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if middle earth names will ever become popular.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Javert, while I agree somewhat, Aimee is simply a close approximation of the French spelling. Kelle might be as well. [Dont Know]

And PSI, Rebekah may be the original spelling in English . . . [Wink] altho I actually think it was Rebekkah.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Rivka. My keyboard doesn't have Hebrew characters.

I wonder if it matters. It's like the difference between Beijing and Peking. They are both second rate ways of pronouncing something that can't be pronounced by an American anyway.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine, fine...rip my argument to pieces why dontya? [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sadly, PSI, neither does mine. And while I know it is possible to generate them in UBB (having seen it done), I've yet to figure out how.

Anyway, my point was that Rebekkah (or Rebbecca, or however one chooses to spell it) isn't even a real transliteration. It has too many syllables, to begin with.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder if middle earth names will ever become popular.
Probably not. I'd name a daughter Arwen, but I know she'd be teased mercilessly for her entire life.

I think that there's also a regional element in naming. I had an easier time (being named Kira) in the South because of the Southern custom of giving children their mother's maiden names as first names. I went to school with Larsens and Hathaways and Millers. Of course, this trend seems to have caught on in the rest of the country nowadays.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the side of Elizabeth Rose. There are a thousand variations of the first name, Liz or Beth Davidson sounds awesome, it's a lovely, regal, and the middle name is a delicate surprise.

All things it shares with mine...(Katharine Jane), and I have to tell you, I love my name and have my whole life. I think it's perfect. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bah! I HATE it when people take the regular spelling of a name and completely change it but still pronounce it the same!
Yeah... although not in this case, that drives me nuts too. Not only is it somewhat pointless, but you have to constantly go around explaining to everyone that your name is spelled differently. I know a girl named Cassidhe... she's in my choir, and they spell her name wrong every single time it appears in the program.

Why do this to your children???

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh, your middle name is Jane? Mine is Janay, so I always feel like I have something in common with you all. Of course, I think I already mentioned that my name can be translated to mean Marijuana. [Evil Laugh] Jane is so versitile.

Oh, hey rivka. I have seen people use Japanese characters...but I have no idea how to do this. I downloaded the thing that displays them, and I thought it was supposed to make my computer capable of writing them too. I am frustrated with my lack of language capabilities here.

[ February 04, 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to put in a bid for Jane Katharina Smiley Davidson.

Then she can sign her name "j/k [Smile] "

[ February 04, 2004, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That's brilliant. [Smile]

Except you spelled Katharine wrong. *sniff*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL] @ Chris! Whatever her RL name ends up being, I think that HAS to be her Hatrack name.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Fixed.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yay!!! *laughs* [Kiss] (in an entirely jubilant, platonic way, of course)

[ February 04, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jael, after my favorite female Bible character
Mine too! I wonder if there is some Hebrew pronunciation where it is spelled differently and doesn't look or sound like "jail"

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Gah! I had this problem with Jezebel. Awesome name...terrible connotations.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean Yael?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
No suggestions, but I noticed that almost every name goes well with "Davidson." So just about anything you pick will be great. Christy certainly choose well when she married you. [Wink]
Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yael would still be a bad name for a girl in the US Imagine the Ivy League teasing you'd get.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a daughter, I'd probably name her Magdalene, Iolanthe or Arabella. Maybe Islay (pron. Eila). Having grown up with a name which is quite unusual, I’m always really surprised when I meet someone with the same name. I’d much rather I had a name that no-one else had.

If you like more traditional names, what about Lily, Rosalie, Ada, Miriam or Helena? Elaina has a nice Arthurian ring to it.

I have many friends with a very traditional names and unusual middle names because their parents were nervous about giving them a 'strange' first names. They all wish that their middle names were their first names, which is a real shame. I think it’s so much better not to be forever Kate J. or Lizzie M. and know that if your parents had been just a little bit braver, you would have been unique. Still, if you look at the kid and you just know that they ARE Elizabeth or Kate, traditional names can be beautiful. It all depends on personality.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

LOL! Although it is pronounced yah-EL.

Come to think of it, I think my friend who went to Yale's middle name IS Yael! [ROFL]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Rebekah/Rebecca are getting overused. I've always liked "Valerie".
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on that one. I work with a woman who is named "Tara", but she gets mad we everybody pronounces it "Tah-rah" instead of "tear-rah". [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I also wondered why nicknames are usually considered bad in parents eyes. My name is Nicholas, but I only let a few people call me that. [Big Grin]

EDIT: I always disliked names with c's or k's in them. Rebecca being one I really don't like that much. Sorry to all the Rebeccas reading this... [Angst]

Try picking name that goes well with "Mayo".

[Big Grin]

[ February 04, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Ella. Ella is like...the best name in the world. Next to Kira [Wink]

and i've always been partial to Evelyn, but I don't like Evelyn Davidson. What a mouthful.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like Rose Elizabeth Davidson. Very nice, very classy, very sophisticated.

My youngest child is Abigail Rose, after Wes' grandmother whose name was Rosa.

I agree with jeniwren on the abbreviation thing, Daniel and Abigail do not answer to Danny or Abby. When someone calls her Abby, Abigail corrects them. You don't have to worry about the nickname issue if you're consistent with it. Until they're old enough to choose for themselves, that is.

My favorite girl names that we didn't use: Isabelle, Audrey, Cecelia, and Ella (my great-grandmother's name)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Name her Slash.

A chick named Slash would rule.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I think 'The Berzerker' would be soooo cute.

And even cuter if I spelled it right....

[ February 05, 2004, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Tom, I will personally arrange for a fairy godmother for any daughter of yours named Slash.
Pat
Member # 879

Slash, how long until you induct her into your hoochie stable?
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Will she be one of those good fairy godmothers, or the evil kind?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That depends on whether or not I'm invited to the christining.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at your original choices, I am partial to the name Rebecca, myself.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure that naming a baby based on what names are popular right now is sound. a few people have said that Halley is popular right now but other than my own daughter (spelled Halle) I don't know any. On the other hand I can point out 13 other men I know with my first name without breaking a sweat. Used to be a bible name like Hannah was so old-fashioned it was unique. Now it's supposedly popular. it's a crapshoot, really, trying to guess how many other kids will have the same name when they're 10.

having said that, Halley Davidson doesn't really work, IMO. How about naming her Bill?

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostradamus
Member # 6181

- posted      Profile for Nostradamus   Email Nostradamus         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if anyone has said this name for a girl. But I like Rachelle.

Rachelle:

Traits: The name Rachelle conveys two different images: a beautiful, classy, quiet woman or a cute, spoiled, outgoing girl who is willing to try anything once.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a classic, beautiful name, I love Julia, Amanda and Michelle. Makayla is a little more unusual (though getting more popular) and also really pretty.
I also really like Morgan, Evelyn and Beverly.
If you don't like Becky as a nickname for Rebecca, you could always go with Becca.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Laura. It's really one of the more beautiful names I know -- should I ever be cursed with a daughter, I intend to name her Laura.

Remember Laura.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had had a daughter, I'd planned to name her Emma. It's short and sweet and our last name is quite challenge enough for one human.

My girlfriends who had girls chose names that would not scream FEMALE! on a job application. They chose names such as Riley, Kiley and Terry.

Hmmm... if my last name was Davidson and I was having a girl I would be very tempted to give her a name that was an alliteration and androgenous. How about Danielle Davidson?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I like the name Laura, but my girlfriend does NOT like it. [Frown] [Wall Bash]
Pat
Member # 879

Think of Laura....

Every once in a while I'd see her smile
And she'd turn my day around
A girl with those eyes
Could stare through the lies
And see what your heart was saying

Think of Laura but laugh don't cry
I know she'd want it that way
When you think of Laura laugh don't cry
I know she'd want it that way

A friend of a friend
A friend to the end
That's the kind of girl she was
Taken away so young
Taken away without a warning

I know you and you're here
In every day we live
I know her and she's here
I can feel her when I sing

Hey Laura, where are you now
Are you far away from here
I don't think so
I think you're here
Taking our tears away

rivka
Member # 4859

*holds up a lighter*
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Rosemary? I've always liked that name... Or maybe Monica. Not exactly a unique name but nice nonetheless.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, I like Rosemary.

And you know everyone will remember a Rosemary! [Wink]

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
...and her baby. [Angst]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the name Ariel (lioness of God, one of the best meaning ever)and I will never forgive Disney for turning that name into mud with their crappy neo-feminist Little Mermaid movie!

*takes a deep breath*

Anyway. My daughters have rather exotic names. If you go that route, find something that falls softly on American ears and that can be easily spelled, because you will be spelling it all the time.

Also: the people who follow the herd and name their kid whatever everyone else is are far, far more likely to comment negatively on your child's unusual name than a person who names their child something unusual will comment on a herd name.

A name like Elizabeth or Rose shuts most everybody up, though. [Smile]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
checkerspot
Member # 6179

- posted      Profile for checkerspot           Edit/Delete Post 
find something unique. for the sake of your child's mental health.

i have one of those names that EVERYONE names their kid- and throughout elementary school i had to delineate myself from the FIVE OTHERS in my class using my last initial and/or my full last name. i hated that. by the time i hit middle school i started using my first and middle together, even though it was a pain.

rebecca and elizabeth both have lots of nickname options that could keep confusion to a minimum... i'm partial to rebecca though. i also like rachel, or leah.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have boys, so I have a cache of unused girl's names, which I would be happy to offer up. [Smile]

I will say that I like Elizabeth Rose the best of the suggestions so far. It has a nice ring to it. I generally had a Top 3 list of girl names handy, just in case the sonogram was mistaken, so:

1). Sarah Elizabeth. This was my great grandmother's name, and I like it. It's a classic. I know there are many Sarahs and Saras here at hatrack, but I don't think it has quite been Emily-d to death yet. My grandmother was called 'Bess' so you still have a plethora of nicknames available with Elizabeth.

2). Sophia (used with either Annette or Lynnett, because we lacked imagination and were pretty sure we were having boys anyway [Wink] ). With Sophia you have the choice of spelling it with the ph or the f, as either is standard, depending on the ethnicity from which it is derived. I liked this one because I'm a bit superstitious about the meanings of names, and If I could have given a daughter any gift, it would have been wisdom. Or knowledge. At least more than I had. [Wink] I'm pretty sure this would have been Robert's name, if he'd been a girl.

3). Sonora Claire (or Sonora Kate), Sonny for short. Blame this one on the fact that I like unusual names for girls (Olivia has served me well, though it has become a lot more common in the lasty 10 years). Also, we listened to a lot of Harry Bellefonte while I was pregnant. It would have been a good name for Liam had he been a girl, since he has a lovely singing voice.

Whatever name you choose will be perfect, I'm sure. [Smile] I know you guys will be great parents, and I wish you the best.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.