FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How did you cope with the freeze?

Author Topic: How did you cope with the freeze?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what caused it? I got some relief from the mafia game, sakeriver, and games.com. Oh, and I organized my favorites. I finally washed the "unwashables" that had been sitting my my kitchen sink. You know, flower pots and things the drying cycle of the dishwasher could melt.

[ February 06, 2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Games.com, chat, and a smidge of the rest of my life.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
You're assuming I coped at all.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I was quite productive at work today!

I have about three threads I'd like to start and I don't know which one to start first.

<grin>

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I, uh... Froze. [Razz]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just post 'em all. That's what fugu did. [Razz]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
This was a lifesaver.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
SCRABBLE! And BOGGLE!

And lots of Hatrack Chat. And some sakeriver.

I think there was more, but *whispers* I don't remember the rest . . . [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrabble. And Chat. And sleep. OH the sleep.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched an adaptation of The Tempest to film that I didn't care much for. It was no good substitute for a little Hatrack-browsing.

Edit: Cursed HTML tags sneaking in there when I wanted ubb tags.

[ February 06, 2004, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*selectively blocks freeze out of his memory*

What are you guys talking about? [Cool]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
There was some frustrated grunting, extensive grumbling, and occasional beating of fists against whatever was closest. Bottom line: I'm sooo glad we're back.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I just IM-ed some friends a lot. Luckily, a friend was on IM that hadn't been for quite some time, so we got a chance to catchup on each other's lives....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
What freeze? It wasn't that cold out.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Coped? I barely made it. Chat with and e-mail from a friend. [Smile]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Rivka... Scrabble and Boggle! (And I even managed to beat her once... of course, this is the woman who knows of the top of her head what En means...)

Some sakeriver, some AIM, a trip to the beach and a lot of checking compulsively to see whether it had been fixed.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of heroin!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you all play Boggle (which is obviously the one true word game, Scrabble is like checkers by comparison)?

Anyway, I started playigng a web game a friend of mine showed me before the super bowl: Project Rockstar.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Scrabble.

Apparently, there was some confusion as to why I was upset. I became upset when I got booted and could not reenter the game, with only nine tiles left in the bag. I was particularly upset because almost the same thing had happened to me the night before, after spending close to an hour playing. I'm not apologizing, because I didn't do anything wrong. I was not angry at any of the human beings in the room. I was, legitimately I think, angry at Games.com for not being better designed. I don't think I said anything particularly offensive to anybody. I don't like the apparent suggestion that I was a sore loser--especially given that I was not losing.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I started by chewing my fingernails. I;m typing this with my tongue.

At least I didn't get past the shoulders.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

At www.games.com, left hand side. Boggle and Scrabble. Come play!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ic, it is sometimes a very frustrating interface. (((((Ic))))) If you ever decide to brave its potential idiocy again, I'd love a rematch -- even if you beat me that badly a second time.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe a mass shooting rampage, but that might have been just my fevored imagination.

On the other hand it would explain the nice men in white suits spoon feeding me my afternoon mush.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'll play, but regular Boggle allows shortened words, and some interjections, which I think makes for poorer play.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

I probably will. My "never again" means about as much as Sean Connery's. [Smile] I still want a chance to prove myself.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
AIM.

And, *sigh*, Television Without Pity. My lack of a tv has merely served to change the airwaves into metadata.

But then, I love metadata.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm with Rivka... Scrabble and Boggle! (And I even managed to beat her once... of course, this is the woman who knows of the top of her head what En means...)
But you can't use "en" in Boggle, anyway.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Oh, and en is the word form of the letter 'n'. Like 'ess', 'zee', etc., as one definition.

One more thing I usually play without... I had forgotten that.

-Bok

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Chat. [Big Grin] I've never seen it so crowded in there. [Razz]

And I missed the mood music, not being one to habitually keep my speakers on. [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

She beat me once in Scrabble. More than that in Boggle, I think.

And actually, en refers to a dash like this: - (em dashes are twice as long).

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's a hyphen. An en is a dash like this: –. This is an em: —. An en is also a unit of space equal to the width of an en dash.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're right, but my computer didn't want to make a distinction between a hyphen and an en dash, so I fudged. Shoulda known I'd never get away with it. [Wink]

Out of curiosity, what're the codes for en dash and em dash?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I always uses ALT + 0151 for an em dash in any program.

There might be another way, but that's the way I've become accustomed to.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

alt+0150 is an en dash
alt+0151 is an em dash

Der Grammatikfuehrer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You should've known you'd never be able to slip that one past der Grammatikfuehrer!

*twirls mustache*

*evil laugh*

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, Farmgirl and Ic. [Smile] I now have another little post it on the corner of my screen. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.