FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Let's Throw One More Log On The Fire

Author Topic: Let's Throw One More Log On The Fire
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
So most of you have heard some or all of the Mooselet Saga. This time it isn't about him, or me, or Mama, or Superstation. It's my dad.

I got a call from my mom yesterday afternoon, during the time Hatrack was down. My dad had gone in a short time ago to have a golf-ball-sized cyst/mass/something (my mom couldn't remember exactly what they called it) from his neck. They did a biopsy on it, and turns out he has (or had?) Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. They didn't have all the results yet, so as is usual with our life, we're in a holding pattern for more info.

He'll be seeing an oncologist soon, whose first responsibility as I understand it is to find out if it's all gone. Not clear what all they were going to do to determine that. The doctor who removed it did say that he's pretty sure he got all of what was there, so I guess it wasn't connected to anything else. But there could be more somewhere else in his system? I'm not sure how this all works.

I'm kinda shocky right now, I guess -- it hasn't quite hit me. I'm worried for my father, and for my mother, and my sister. My brothers will probably handle this as well or better than I, so while my love for them is no less, my concern for them over this is. My sister got a double-whammie, as I heard from her this morning that she found out earlier this week that her father-in-law has lung cancer.

I don't even know what else to say. I'm getting tired. I think I could use some peace for a little while.

--Pop

[Edit -- put in wrong type cancer for sister's father-in-law.]

[ February 06, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Pop. [Frown] You are in my thoughts. *hugs the Meese*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Papa Moose)))
(((Papa Moose's Papa))))

As one who's parent is going through chemotherapy, let me say that my thoughts are with you.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Pop, if anyone deserves a break, it's you! For what it's worth, my brother in law had Hodgkins Lymphoma a few years back, and seems to be completely better now. Not the same disease, I know, but something like this isn't the automatic death sentence that one might assume.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. [Frown]

(((Papa Moose)))

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You have our support.

But admit it.

Your first thought was, "Great not this on top of Hatrack being down."

or not.

I prescribe reading 5 fluff threads and destressing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
((PAPA MOOSE AND FAMILY))) my hugs and prayers go to you...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. I hope you'll be posting here soon to tell us they got all of whatever it was and he'll be fine.

((Papa & Grandpapa Moose))

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry your dad is ill. You and he are in my thoughts.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Moose. I feel for you. I started reading and realized this was all too familiar. My Grandmother, about 3 months ago had the same golfball size lump appear. Non-Hodgkins Lymphnoma. She was on chemo for a while. Finished the treatments. Been doing great. Has most here hair back, happy and healthy. 10 days ago I get a phone call, she's had a number (~10) of lumps appear on her legs. More cancer. She's started the chemo again.

She's only 65-70, been doing aerobics 3 days a week for 20 years. Gah, this is hard. I feel for you Moose, I wish the very best for your father.

I will be praying for you and him, for a quick and succesful recession of the cancer.

(((Moose and family)))

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((multi-generational Meese)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((Meeses))))))

All I can say is don't let it overwhelm you. Take it as it comes.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((moose)))
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand where you're coming from. All I can say is that I wish you the absolute best.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well crud. I hope the doc got it all and that Grandpa Moose is just fine.

Sorry you have yet more health problems in the family.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Pop and family)))))
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Moose family)))
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so hard to hear something like that.
Cancer of any kind is so scary.

((((Pop and family))))

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Pop and Family))))) You poor thing. You're in my prayers.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
((((meeses)))) Praying for you all, Pop...
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emp
Member # 5955

- posted      Profile for Emp   Email Emp         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, cancer has been bringing me down hard too. I just found out about 2 weeks ago that my mom has leukemia at 48 (myoblastic is the tentative diagnosis.) It was (and still is) a huge shock.

((Pop))

Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Papa Moose and all the Moose family)))))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Strength and hope, Pop.

You are in our thoughts.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, there are over 20 different kinds of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, though two types account for 70% of all lymphoma (follicular (small-cell) and diffuse large B-cell.) First, they need to nail down what type it is exactly and what stage. More than likely, he'll be in chemo soon, unless it is a low-grade lymphoma. Things that you might try to find out are his age (though you probably already know this) his LDH levels, his performance (on chemo,) the stage of it, and other areas of the body involved with lymphoma (and if so, how many and what sites are involved.

Here is something from the FDA that might be of interest.

quote:
A frequently used chemotherapy regimen for NHL combines cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin hydrochloride (marketed as Adriamycin), vincristine (marketed as Oncovin), and the anti-inflammatory drug prednisone. Although used for about 20 years, recent studies suggest this regimen is as effective and has less serious side effects than some of the newer drug combinations, according to Alan Aisenberg, M.D., of Massachusetts General Hospital.

An experimental NHL chemotherapy compound is a drug called fludarabine. FDA approved this drug as Fludara in 1991 for treating a type of leukemia, and, according to NCI's Bruce Cheson, M.D., early studies suggest that more low-grade NHL patients go into complete remission when they are treated with fludarabine than when they are treated with standard drugs such as chlorambucil.

Radiation therapy alone may be the treatment of choice for some patients, especially those who have only a single, small tumor. Some types of NHL respond best to chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy.

When you get more information, let us know. I'll be praying for you.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{Moose Family}}}}

Your Dad is in my thoughts, as well as your whole family. I hope that you receive some good news in the next few days.

I say break out those fun movies and sit down with your kids and Mama Squirrel and just break away from reality for a bit. Or head out to a park and just enjoy each other. (Probably don't have to tell you that, though.)

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.