FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why do you Get Up in the Morning? (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do you Get Up in the Morning?
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, ak, that was really nice.

[Smile]

I will try and remember that every time I get bummed about duty. You have really put a tool in my 'feel better' toolbox! Thank you for THAT gift!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wake up because I love life.

I get out of bed in the morning because there's no microwave in the bedroom, and my boss still won't let me work from home.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[derail] Pop's post reminded me of something that happened when my niece (now 14) was an infant.

The neighbor's kid (about 2 years old, I think) was visiting. He came over to my BIL, and said, "Baby crying, baby crying!"

BIL checked, and the baby was fast asleep in her little baby seat. He said, "No, she's sleeping, see?"

2 year old peered at baby, hit her (to the aghast shock of BIL) -- she started screaming, of course -- and then repeated, "Baby crying, baby crying!"

[/derail]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I usually desperately have to wee.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
I get up because, I simply dont think theres enough time to do everything I want to do in my life, but I'll be damned if I dont give it a shot anyway
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I just get up out of habit and boredom.

That and classes that I'm paying for.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
For that first step outside...when you realize that it's a new day and anything can happen.

Not much makes me happier than a light breeze on a bright day, but rain, heat, snow, sleet, and fog all have their own particular beauties.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't absolutely *have* to get up, I get up because I can't sleep any more.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude Love
Member # 2437

- posted      Profile for Dude Love   Email Dude Love         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a brother who does everything he does for only one reason--he's tired of whatever he was doing before.

He gets up because he's tired of lying in bed. He'll get of from dinner because he's tired of chewing. He'll watch TV because he's tired of being online. He'll go online because he's tired of watching TV. He goes to bed becase he's tired of being awake.

It's an odd existance, to act only in order to avoid other action, never for the action itself.

As for me, why do I get up in the morning?

If I had a reason, I wouldn't be scouring this thread for one.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Music and the threads that connect me to someone.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I get out of bed in the morning because it's pretty damn hard to get rid of the morning wood while you're lying in bed.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blearily* Coffee. Definitely coffee.

Is it done brewing NOW?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would post something in here but it would only provide ammunition to Lalo and his increasingly childish insults.
Heh. Man, Glynn. I promise I'm not deliberately targetting you for jokes -- I just scan the Foobonic "Recently Commented" section every so often, and when there's an exchange like this:

quote:
Picture's title: Oh yeah, this is almost a year ago. Bad hair + no shave = Bad lookin' Glynn

Response to picture:
personally, i think it's just the weird green shirt...*makes a face*

It's just begging for a comment like "No, no, it's definitely his face."

I'm not saying you're ugly, just taking advantage of a clear-cut opportunity to make a joke. A joke which your charmingly insecure self will edit out seconds after I make it anyway.

If it makes you feel better, once I get a digital camera, the poor Internet's going to be flooded with pictures of my face. Feel free to make all the jokes you want -- they're not hard to make, and I like to believe I'm secure enough to handle some friendly kidding.

And yes, my joke was nothing more than friendly kidding. Honestly. I don't like you much, but I certainly hold no malicious intent toward you.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*patpats Lalo*

All of my morning classes have attendence policies. On top of that, I've started waking up at 5:30 in the morning without an alarm going off or anything, and I can't get back to sleep, so I can either lie in bed and think myself to death or get up and be productive. Or something.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
eeeww, pictures of Lalo's face?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, I know that feeling of just wanting to stay in bed very well.

I get up mostly out of duty when I'm in those bouts, because I need to get the kids out of bed and off to school. Usually because only then can I go back to bed in peace.

I actually went through a period of time where I did that, I'd get the kids on the bus, then go back to bed and sleep a few more hours, only to get up and fix lunch for the little ones and then nap on the couch.

Life is so much better now that I actually do get out of bed in the morning, stay up with my kids, and actually participate in life. I've found that being awake on the downstairs couch talking to my twins early in the morning is something I now look forward to, instead of dreading.

So to answer the question - I now get up and participate in life because the alternative doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Does anyone else get the impression Kama, through repeated, failed attempts at sounding scornful, is trying to tell me she has a monster crush on me?

Shh, my darling, our love should not, can not be. Despite our sighs of passion and gasps of lust, despite our pledges of love and vows of eternity, though our love be single -- our lives be seperate. Not just seperated by different continents, but by different worlds. I would not, could not have our passion postponed until the death of summer -- it should drive me mad, my Kama. No, let us say adieu while we may still look at each other without tears blurring our visions of each other's perfection and turn our minds to lesser matters of the cruel world. For who would envy Tantalus his forever forbidden fruits? Not I, love, and my heart should be rent asunder should you seek a love that the gods themselves have damned to less than a fleeting vision of Paradise. No, my Kama, my life, my love, let us share one last kiss of unfulfilled promise and unbridled passion and turn, walk away, live for lesser beings and pettier matters, and devote our attention to the futile hope of forgetting that we ever loved so deeply, with such promise.

One last kiss, love, to imbed the torture of your beauty in my memory, and let us part as halved hearts beating a strained rhythm through bodies forever doomed to unfulfillment and misery for so long as the two remain twain.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't believe him, Kama. Aside from two word changes (and the name), he said the same exact thing to me.

I've never gotten over it.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
If I didn't, I couldn't go to bed at night.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

- posted      Profile for shadowmaker           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually get up because an alarm is screaming at me
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I get up in the morning cause I have to go to work. On mornings I don't have to work, I sleep late, don't set the alarm, and just get up whenever I wake up.

I love sleeping late. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I get up because our children get into bed with poopy diapers and crawl across my face. It's better (or worse) than smelling salts.

Sometimes it backfires, though, and I lie in bed even longer because I'm knocked out by the fumes.

Also, I make sure before I go to bed that I have something to look forward to for the next day, be it a clean house to wake up to, a new book, working out, or coming here. [Smile]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Child. Cat. Potty. Coffee.

Not necessarily in that order.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally what mack said, although for some reason I do actually get up for work on Saturday despite my better judgement.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not need an alarm clock. i seem to get up automatically at 8 whether i want to or not. then i can roll over and sleep some more or if i have to work at around 3 i can just say, well, i got to have some free time to myself.
I hate mornings.
everyone wakes up and makes noise.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get up. I get down, baby.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerryst316
Member # 5054

- posted      Profile for Jerryst316   Email Jerryst316         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is going to sound sappy but I heard this once and I totally agree. I see life as consisting of two parts; the part that is and the part that should be. I always get up for the part that should be!
Posts: 107 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
When I get home from work in the morning, I go to bed right away because that is usually the quietest part of the day--normal people are at work or class. I get up because a) it's time to go back to work, b) I can't sleep anymore, c) ER is on. I am victim to those "depressive moods" but I live alone and nothing can't wait until tomorrow.

[edit to reduce redundancy]

[ February 08, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know. Alot of the time I just don't.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in this bed since I was six.

Thank God I have a laptop. ..

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
Why do you Get Up in the Morning?
I'm not sure why it happens, but I hear morning wood's actually quite normal. Maybe something to do with needing to use the bathroom?

Though I still feel oddly guilty if I find it upon wakening from a dream about, say, my brother.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just dirty man.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
the previous poster is my reason [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.

I work nights. So, when I get home, I'm usually tired and proceed directly to bed.
I wake up and usually just go back to sleep after I turn over or something; I repeat such process until either I hurt, or I actually don't want to sleep anymore. Eventually getting up, before I need to do anything.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
* Music

* the fact that i have faith in the world that i will encounter somebody new or have somebody currently in my life remind me that life is worthwhile. not in such a blunt fashion but more in things they say and do, and observations of hte world they make. it really is a selfish way to look at it but its true. and it's rarely failed me.

[ February 09, 2004, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I too go to bed in the morning rather than getting up.

Sometimes I don't get up. At least, not till almost time to go to work. Some days I really am just miserably tired. Others, I'm sad to say I really don't feel there's a point to getting up. Three years struggling to make ends meet takes its toll, especially when it's not how you expected to spend your life.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate getting up in the morning. I sleep in until the last possible moment I can before work.

I feel like I'm chronically sleep deprived even when get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. I suspect my body really needs about 10 hours/day but that would be spending almost half my day asleep.

How difficult it is to wake up (when I have to work) partly depends on how much ambient light is in the room. One of those Sunrise clocks is on my wish list.

The other thing is the temperature. During the day from Fall until Spring I am always cold, no matter how many clothing layers I wear. The only time I'm actually at my comfort level of warm is when I'm snuggled under the covers in a cocoon. It does help when Steve raises the temperature to 70 on the thermostat, but I'm still always cold.

Did I mention I hate getting up in the morning?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Eww, kissing Lalo?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has to!

Actually, morning is my time with Thomas. That's enough for me.

(edit to say the initial portion of the post is in response to why I get up in the morning, not kissing Lalo. Sorry dude.)

[ February 09, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
During the week I get up because if i don't I get suspended from school.

On the weekends, I get up to write in the quiet before the storm (parents and siblings.)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The other morning I woke up to my 2-yr-old giving me a romantic little kiss on the lips.
That's how his Daddy wakes me up.
Someone's gonna have to talk to that boy.

[ February 09, 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I get up because...

1) bladder full

2) coffee!!

3) and because NOT getting up gets boring really really fast. Just lying in bed doing nothing has no appeal to me....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I get up because my dormroom matress hurts if i sleep in too long, cause if i don't finish these classes, I'm never goingto get to do what i REALLY want, and cause i'm tired of wasting time sleeping.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do you get up in the morning?
Good queastion [Dont Know]

Really it is mostly because I still live at home, so someone is usually telling em to get up.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee and work. I usually leave the house at 3:30 to 4:00am, and then go to school until about 6:30pm. Wonderful life. At least I don't work or have school on weekends. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
If I got up in the morning, I guess I'd have a valid answer to the prompt, but being as I awoke at 11:14, I guess I don't.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I get up so I can set my alarm back another half-hour and then go back to sleep. [Razz]

But really, there's something utterly distressing about those first few minutes after the alarm goes off, when I know I have to get up but my bed is calling, calling to me. Once I'm awake, though, I have no problem -- I even like mornings. (Though, in college I'd sometimes go back to bed for a couple of hours after my first class in the morning.)

I'm thinking of getting a Sunrise clock like AJ mentioned, but I feel guilty buying something that is essentially a light on a dimmer for on the order of $100. Especially if it might not even work very well.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
there was a thread on those clocks a while back. They are actually brighter than normal lights, with a wider spectrum. I really do need one come next winter, though now that the days are getting longer again I'm not having as much of a problem. As I recall I found a site online where they were really Cheap.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh! How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning,
Oh! How I'd love to remain in bed
For the hardest blow of all is to hear the bugler call:
'You've got to get up, you've got to get up,
You've got to get up this morning!'"

Someday I'm going to murder the bugler
Someday they're going to find him dead
I'll amputate his reveille and stomp upon it heavily
And spend the rest of my life in bed!

From "Oh! How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning"
Words and Music by Irving Berlin, 1918.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valkyrie
Member # 5980

- posted      Profile for Valkyrie   Email Valkyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
honestly i dont know why i bother to get up at all
Posts: 150 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.