FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help my brother pick a school!

Author Topic: Help my brother pick a school!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Little Brother will be heading off to college in a year and a half, and right now he doesn't know where he'd like to go. (By the way, for those of you who have met my little brother--this isn't him I'm talking about. It's the other little brother. Mr. Funny is precocious, but not precocious enough to be in college by sixteen.) Little Brother is probably going to be a computer science major and he wants to stay west of the Rockies. So I turn to you, fellow Jatraqueros. What schools toward the western end of the U.S. have good CS programs? Or are just a lot of fun to spend four years at?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
UC Berkeley, Davis, and Riverside are awesomeness for CS. What would he rather have large school or small? What specific branch of CS?
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
UCLA, on both counts.

Go Bruins! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't really have a preference about size, public/private, or location besides being somewhat close to home. I have no idea what branch of CS he's interested. He probably doesn't either. What branches are there?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
University of California at San Diego. Besides being one of the earliest campuses to give all students access to computers, and one of the first campuses to be located on an Internet spine (I think only CalTech, ?UCLA or USC?, and possibly ?Berkeley or Stanford? preceded it), UCSD also runs one of the oldest and most powerful Supercomputer Centers.

And LaJolla is a GREAT place to live:
An extremely safe neighborhood (crime reports in the LaJollaLight newspaper were usually on the order of "Woman forgot purse on park bench, and returned from sunbathing on the beach to find it missing.") unlike UCLA or USC.
Plenty of recreational activities, both outdoor recreation (hang/paragliding and surfing/snorkeling/etc a very short walk from campus, 2to3hour drive to ski resorts, etc) and commercial entertainment of all sorts readily available at all times of the year. So "I'm bored out of my mind" alcohol binging and other extreme substance abuse is much less common in UCSD students than in students at most other campuses nationwide.

And ya wouldn't believe how many different NAMES-respected-in-their-field and celebrities one meets, or at least sees occasionally, in LaJolla. Heck, I even got to converse with Dr.Seuss in the way back when.

[ February 08, 2004, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
How about ASU?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Older brother says that he is leaning more towards computer engineering instead of computer science. Just an FYI.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, in that case, I revise my suggestion. UCLA is a good school for engineering too; but Caltech is an engineer's paradise.

And I hear the head of the math/physics department is a pretty nice guy. [Big Grin]

[Edit: stupid homonyms]

[ February 08, 2004, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Harvey Mudd. And Stanford.
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard very good things about Harvey Mudd.

From people I know who go there, though, Stanford is very much a computer science school, not so much a computer engineering school. Of course, its excellent for computer science, so I doubt someone who went there would have a hard time putting together a computer engineering-ish computer science schedule.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's east of the rockies, and not even in the country, but the University of Waterloo is one of the best in the world for Comp Eng, Comp Sci, and Software Engineering (unique faculty-program to UW). And I'm not biased at all, no not in the slightest... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If money is no object, go to Sanford or USC.

If money is at least an issue, establish residence in California then go to UCSB or UC Berkeley.

I had a great time at USC, by the way. I could recommend a Pscyh prof to take a course or two from.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Bob, you're a USC grad? [Eek!]

Drat, and I so liked talking to you . . .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.