FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Attention, passengers. This is your pilot speaking."

Author Topic: "Attention, passengers. This is your pilot speaking."
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't resist.

Pilot reportedly promoted Christianity on flight.

quote:
CNN) -- American Airlines is investigating reports that a pilot asked passengers to identify themselves as Christians so non-Christians on board could talk to them about their faith, a spokesman has said.

Not a comfortable flight, I would think, for Muslims, Jews, agnostics, atheists, pagans and other non-Christians. And, come to think of it, probably not too comfortable for a lot of the Christians on the flight, either.

[ February 08, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...speaking as a conservtive, evangelical Christian - I would find that very uncomfortable.

That's not exactly the way I see witnessing and sharing testimony to go.

"well, since we're stuck on this flight and the pilot has practically ordered me to talk to you about my faith - let's start out the conversation wtih me telling you how bad it sucks in hell."

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] at pilot. Of course, maybe it's a publicity stunt. Scandal works wonders.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Repent or perish?

Wow, how totally uncomfortable that would be.

Or you could just reply, "Hey, this plane looks an awful lot like a handbasket..."

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we have enough trouble with religious fanatics in the fall of 2001?
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole conversion thing might have been more effective if he had told them that he was aiming the plane at the ground.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great way to single out the non-Christians so they can be identified as possible terrorist threats.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The pilot sounds like a new Christian to me.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello, and welcome to American Airlines non-stop flight to heaven...."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
The pilot sounds like a new Christian to me.
Maybe. Or maybe he did some heavy recreating during his weeklong mission in Costa Rica and went for something stronger than coffee. [Wink]

Seriously, I suspect that followup may have entailed blood and urine samples.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like something was different on this particular day, or this pilot would be doing this on all his flights.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

My guess is that the absolute maximum flights a pilot could do this on would be three (depending on personnel policies).

He probably won't get fired for this first time incident, but there will be a discipline plan, that would allow for maybe one more chance or immediate termination if he repeats the behavior.

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, folks, I hope you've all lived a life without regret, cause I haven't slept in a while and my wife just left me."
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, where did I put my ritalin?
-Hypothetical Pilot

[ February 09, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, do you know what ritalin does? It's not a mood-enhancer, it doesn't change anything like that. It's used to increase your attention span. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm sorry, but I don't like it when people use the wrong drugs for the wrong situations.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
How about risperdal, then?

Really, as a Christian myself I would be seriously uncomfortable in this situation.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Ummm...I'm confused. I know exactly what ritalin does being closely, personally affected by ADD and the use of Ritalin. My post wasn't a response to the one above. It was a joke in and of itself. "What you wouldn't want to hear your pilot say."

*I* can't stand it when people see a glimpse of something that might possibly be able to offend them and then run with it.

Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't stand it when instead of letting be a joke that flopped, people insist on defending or explaining it.

What do you mean, this isn't the thread where we discuss joke-telling pet peeves?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
*I* can't stand it when people see a glimpse of something that might possibly be able to offend them and then run with it.
It's not that I'm offended, I just don't like it when people don't say what it's really for.

Maybe something better would have been: "Where is my Prozac?"

EDIT: I also didn't realize that it wasn't responding to the topic. That's what most repies do though. [Razz] Can you blame me for thinking that?

[ February 09, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

Ritalin doesn't work well for the joke--it's an ADD medication, big deal if the pilot has ADD.

Prozaz...another not big deal if you miss one dose.

RISPERDAL, however, is an atypical antipsychotic. Which means, had said pilot not taken his risperdal and had a fairly unstable psychosis, you'd be in trouble.

For good joke telling purposes, option number three would work out the best.

But the audience would have to know what Risperdal is. [Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for God's sake!

There was an old "Charlie" comic stip (single panel) that had Charlie on an elevator that was stuck between floors. The only other passenger was this completely wacky looking guy with vaguely religious garb on. The caption read:

"Well, since we're going to be stuck here awhile, let me tell you about my religion." [ROFL]

We have a local judge who reads scripture to prospective jurors. There's the guy at the Eckerd's pharmacy refusing to give RU-486 to a rape victim. Now this pilot. What is going on? Did someone slip mescaline into the holy water?

(note--proper joke set up. Drug-appropriate usage -- mescaline is used to heighten religious experiences by certain shamanistic groups in America. Some might take issue with the holy water aspect of it, since you aren't supposed to DRINK the holy water, but, when you think about it, that just makes it funnier.)

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and you can make it even funnier by replying in an exasperated tone:

Again???

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

- posted      Profile for shadowmaker           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the pilot's a missionary, and that's what he calls a "missions trip"
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
heh... I win! [Wink]

[derail]Bob, what's the background on the RU-486 story? Is he refusing it simply because it's an abortifacient, or because of the medical risks involved with that specific drug? I know that one woman at least died during the Canadian clinical trials...[/derail]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
RU-486 is an incredibly dangerous drug, and I didn't think it was supposed to be administered except under the direct care of a physician. In other words, in most places it's given out in the doctor's office. (then again, my information is old, I haven't looked into this for awhile so Alucard or another pharmacist would know more than me)

The risks of hemorrhage are pretty high, and it's not a "morning after" pill. It's an abortifacient. It's meant to be used when a pregnancy has already been established and dated as being first trimester.

For "morning after" birth control the easiest way to do it is with regular old birth control pills, prescribed in a certain dosage. You don't need RU-486 if you're a rape victim who is trying to PREVENT conception from taking place. You would only need it after you've confirmed that you are pregnant.

[/my own derail]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
For "morning after" birth control the easiest way to do it is with regular old birth control pills, prescribed in a certain dosage.
So you're saying birth control pills in the right dosage destroy the embryo?

What about regualar dosage, and you're taking it for preventative purposes only. I've been told it stops a woman from ovulating.

rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, the high dosage pills merely prevent implantation. They do nothing to the embryo itself.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

What about regular-dose birth control? Do they also prevent implantation in the uterus?
rivka
Member # 4859

Among other things.
Nick
Member # 4311

I thought for a second that it didn't prevent a woman from ovulating.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I rechecked the sources I could find easily through Google and they mentioned a "morning after pill" and "emergency contraceptives," not specifically RU-486.

They did say that the pharmacist refused to fill the prescription for "moral reasons" so that would tend to rule out his concerns over the rape victim's safety.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I am obviously tired as I have now laughed my way through this entire thread.

Or perhaps it's time to take my ativan . . .

[Confused]

[Dont Know]

[Wall Bash]

[ROFL]

Yeeeep - must be time for beddie-bye.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.