FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is it Just Me, or is Starbucks Taking Over?

Author Topic: Is it Just Me, or is Starbucks Taking Over?
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't I find a cup of coffee that isn't $0.60 anymore? Why can't I get an espresso drink that isn't $4.00? Why is it that people continue to go to Starbucks when the mom-and-pop coffee shop is just around the corner? Sorry I'm just ranting, but I find myself making my coffee at home more and more these days. What do you guys think? Will Starbucks have a monopoly on the coffee service market?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Never been to Starbucks...

..visit my mom&pop store each morning for coffe on the way to work.

(yes, there ARE Starbucks' in Wichita)

so am I a dying breed?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
What! Starbucks on the Buffalo Common?

Yes, they are taking over.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, 4 posts and not one Austin Powers reference.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[Cry]
I go there as a last resort, like when my coffee machine breaks or I don't have time to brew due to hitting snooze too many times. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they're taking over. There are two Starbucks in Anthem, Arizona. I don't know how many of you have been there, and I don't know the exact size, but I know that's totally misproportioned.

[ February 09, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I have six in Elk Grove, California, and there is only 80,000 people here. [Dont Know]
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Look out!!!
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[ROFL]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
What choice do we have?
Starbucks has a near monopoly on the fine produce of the Seattle coffee plantations.

[ February 09, 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
In D.C. there are starbucks EVERYWHERE.

I occasionally go in to get my frappacino or peppermint hot chocolate fix, but I find myself going in less and less. They're extremely expensive, and, well, while their coffee is good, it's nothing spectacular.

There's place in Adams Morgan D.C. called Tryst. During the day it's a coffee shop that gives out free wireless internet (although there is one internet jack in the back), has couches and tables and such filling the place, and there are outlets all over the store for people to plug their laptops into. Basically, during the day, people come in and order a drink and maybe some food, and just chill and write and talk for hours. It's fantastic, and their Chai is the greatest drink I've ever had.

During the night, it's a bar. Which is how they probably make their money, cuz I can't see them making much money during the day.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think of the Simpsons episode when Bart went to the mall, saw a couple of Starbucks, went into a store and got his ear pierced and when he came back out, every store in the mall was a Starbucks? Does anyone else write terribly run-on sentences that just won't end even if you have nothing left to say and are just rambling but this sentence, which was started to just point out that the previous sentence was run on has now become the longer of the two sentences in the post simply to make a sort of joke?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it Just Me, or is Starbucks Taking Over?
You're only noticing this now?

"The town I grew up in was so small, it only had one grocery, one library, one post office, and three Starbucks."

"Did you hear what the Mars rover found? A Starbucks cup . . ." (That joke went around when Pathfinder was there!)

[Edit: tags]

[ February 09, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Starbucks...mmm..I love their hot chocolate.

I live five miles from work. I pass seven starbucks on the way. I'm afraid it's taking over. I guess people know that they will always get the same overcooked coffee beans at any starbucks. Sometimes it's easier to go with the known than try something that may be better and
cheaper.

I've discovered that five dollars a day for a ten-cent cup of cocoa isn't worth it. However, I found that the donut shop across the street sells it for 50 cents. I can afford that.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Starbuck....*drool*

I think it's time for my hourly cup of java

*twitch*

[ February 09, 2004, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Valentine. What a shame no one has figured out how to let you make coffee in the comfort of your own home . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind the fact that Starbucks are popping up everywhere in my area -- except there are no Dunkin Donuts!

[Cry]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen one Dunkin' Donuts in Baton Rouge. When I went to visit Mass. there were like 20. Here, it's either CC's or Starbucks but I'd rather go to Cafe du Monde and get some beignets while I'm at it.
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd rather have Dunkin Donuts coffee - it's a lot cheaper and doesn't taste bitter, like Starbucks does (unless you have the super-sweetened varieties).
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, Starbucks white chocolate mochas = breakfast.

It's terrible, I know, but I'm terribly addicted...plus they take my meal plan card, which means I'm spending my parents' money instead of my own.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Godric, you should move to Rhode Island.

(yes, each word is a separate link)

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
There are twelve Dunkins in Manchester, where I live. I have...four within two miles of me.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

There are 7 within 2 miles of me, 38 within 5 miles of me, and 75 within 10 miles of me.

*bows*

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because Rhode Island is SMALL and dense. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Hey, I've always liked New England... Dunkin' Donuts and plenty of hot Hatrack babes. What could be better? [Big Grin]

::scurries off to pack his belongings::

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

I kinda appreciate dunkin donuts because at the airport in Norfolk, VA, the dunkin donuts doesn't up their prices at all. You can actually get something decent for uber-cheap at the terminal.
mackillian
Member # 586

Now, if only I liked coffee...
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
What a coincidence... I work at Starbucks.

[Wave]

Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

So, you're a "Barista" eh? My girlfriend also used to work there.

Mack: You don't like coffee? You struck as the kind of person who would...

Me on the other hand, give it to me strong, without sweetener/creamer, and in a large cup. [Big Grin]

Godric
Member # 4587

Wow...

Coffee and Caffeine's Frequently Asked Questions

I'm gonna have to try some of the recipes here.

luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't you find a cup of coffee for $0.60 anymore ? Well you can, you just have to try. coffee is a nickel (see the sidebar) at Pechins. But in general at starbucks you are not paying that much for the coffee, you are paying that much for an image, a mystic aura that permeates the place. Starbucks makes you cool. And it works, here in Oakland (where Pitt and CMU are) we have 2 starbucks, 2 panera breads within 3-4 blocks of each other.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Oh Rivka, why make my own coffee at home when I work at Barnes & Noble and can really and truely get frappachinos (tall mocha with a shot of raspberry, whipped cream, hold the chocolate syrup) EVERY SINGLE GLORIOUS HOUR !
[The Wave]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
You work 24/7? That's depressing.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Frappachinos a bit on the unhealthy side though. [Frown]

luthe, you live in Oakland? I'm 2 hours east of you! [Smile] I live 20 minutes south of Sacramento. If you ever are in Sacramento, we could, I don't know... go to... Starbucks? [Big Grin] jk

luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to the Oakland section of Pittsburgh PA, (although in rereading thats not very clear). So we are about 2500 miles apart...
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[ROFL]

Oh. Oakland in CA is southwest of San Francisco. My mistake. [Wink]

Valentine014
Member # 5981

hm..maybe I do spend too much time there at work. All of us employed at B&N spend even our days off there. Yes, we need lives, I know. But, during a regular work day there are all these stoopid customers that get in the way of combing the shelfs. [Dont Know]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Hey! I used to live in Oakland!
Nice place.
Good coffee.

coil
Member # 4571

quote:
But in general at starbucks you are not paying that much for the coffee, you are paying that much for an image, a mystic aura that permeates the place.
Perhaps, but as an employee of said Evil Overlord Corporation, I think I have another hypothesis: you're paying for the service. A few tidbits:
  • Starbucks spends a ridiculous amount of money on training. Have you ever seen a Dunkin Donuts TV ad? Sure, tons. How about a Starbucks TV ad? Nope... because they spend that money on training instead.
  • My friend used to work at Godiva, a subsidiary of Campbell Foods. According to him, ideal turnover rate was 100% new employees every 6 months. Why? No need for raises! Starbucks managers get bonuses for *low* turnover rates, and partners are eligible for a raise every 6 months. Why? Because if I've worked at Starbucks for two years, I know what I'm doing... and if I love my job, that enjoyment is reflected in how I treat my customers.
  • The company's winter promotion is called "Make it Your Drink." It aims at teaching customers just how customizable a Starbucks drink is. Is it profitable? Sure - soy milk or flavored syrup = +$0.30, extra shot = +$0.55, etc. But it's also good for the customer. Look at my drink of choice: a double tall half-vanilla half-almond nonfat latte. It's not on the menu, but after 3 years of experimentation I've learned it's *exactly* what I like drinking. And if we can help our customers find their perfect drink, *they're* that much happier, too.
  • My region (Northeast) has a new initiative that's just started... when a customer orders a bar drink, we ask their name. When I call the drink, I say "double tall cappucino for Beth" and the barista writes "Beth" along with "2 C" on the cup. There are easily 20 or 30 customers who come in whose drinks I know by heart and call by name (Beth, Jimmy, Jay, Nancy, Tammy, Steve, Art, Kelly, etc)... by the end of the month, I bet that number will have tripled or more.
Frankly, I challenge you to find Starbucks-quality service at Dunkin Donuts or any of our competitors... or *anywhere*, for that matter. One of the things I remember from my first training class was my instructor saying "There's one downside to working at Starbucks... go almost anywhere else, and you'll wish the service were as good as at your store." It sounds stuck up, but it's just plain true. Starbucks service is absolute top-notch. They work hard to make it that way, and it's certainly within their rights to charge more for it.
Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Okay, let me put it to you this way:
I would rather have a grumpy person behind the counter that would do the bare minimum to complete the transaction for a good, cheap cup of coffee. [Razz]

I'm not putting Starbucks down, I'm just wondering what other's feel about it, and how many are in each area. [Dont Know] They serve a purpose. Just last night they got 7 dollars out of me for three drinks while I stayed there to do my homework at one of their tables. It's a good study spot. But, if I just want a run-of-the-mill 16 ounce coffee, I don't want to pay 1.55 for it.

coil
Member # 4571

For the long-term customer:

Get any drink to stay, and unlimited refills of regular coffee are only $0.53 each... (;

Buy a box of tea (20 bags, I think) for $4.95. We'll never charge for a cup of hot water (as compared to $1.22 for one teabag or $1.75 for two).

An 8-cup french press of coffee (best way to drink it, hands down) is only $2.54 -- that's the same price as a large Americano for more than twice as much coffee, takes only 4 minutes to brew.
_____

Yeah, Starbucks costs more, and I know you can go to a gas station and get 66 oz. of coffee for $2. Who knows... maybe there's a market for a "just plain coffee" (not meant to be disparaging) coffee house. But there's also a market for the "coffee shop," and Starbucks charges more because it's damn good at what it does. (:

Nick
Member # 4311

Well, I don't know. Starbucks coffee does taste a little on the burnt side. [Dont Know]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No one has duplicated mocha frappucinos to my satisfaction. That and the dark-chocolate covered graham crackers that I can't find anywhere else.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

You could make them yourself...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get them right. And I've tried. I really have. [Frown]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
hey Coil -- do you work in the Starbucks on Nassau St in Princeton? (If yep I'll try to stop by sometime to say hi when I'm back in NJ... actually don't drink coffee myself, but I've gone into Starbucks a few times when I've been with a friend and everything else in Princeton is closed...)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two Starbucks in my home town (pop: 130,000). I can probably count fiftenn or so Tim Horton's off the top of my head. When I worked there, and extra-large was $1.44. It might be up to $1.60 now, I'm not sure since I don't drink coffee. I don't think that Starbucks is going to overtake Timmy's anytime soon, just like Krispy Kreme is failing up here. Tim's is just too much a part of our national identity. (Yes, it's sad: coffee, dougnuts, hockey, and beer. Not quite the same ring to it as "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.")
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

plaid: I used to, but since I've gradumacated I'm back up in Connecticut, working in West Hartford.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.