FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Motivate me

Author Topic: Motivate me
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously. Don't care how, don't care for what. Just motivate me.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Chop, chop!
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Go on and do it! and do it NOW! *Cracks whip*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

But do what? What shall I do? And why should I do it? And is it better than not doing it at all?
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Make a very detailed to-do list. Bold the most important ones. Leave it sitting somewhere prominent (on your computer desktop, on the fridge, next to your bed). Take joy in deleting or crossing things off.

Make plans for the near-future (like at 9 am I will go to the med building and study till 11) and stick to it. Reward yourself when you do (I get a pastry in the afternoon, or make myself a nice snack, or catch up on fun-stuff).

If you really really really need some kick-to-the-butt, turn off your computer and keep it off.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's motivation you want, the Gunny has it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Do something... productive-
Paint a fence
start a militia
sew
feed the cat
feed someone else's cat
write a term paper
water the garden
make the bed.
make stuffed animals and give them to random kids
grow roses...
plant potatoes
make up a recipe

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Oddly enough, the internet at my house isn't working.

Says the guy at work...

Actually, creating a list and scratching things off that I haven't actually done sounds fun...

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Blow things up. Tis fun.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Think about what matters to you. Think what would make you the happiest to hear said about you by your family, your friends, your coworkers, and so on? What is the most important thing that people need to be doing here and now in the world?

Do that.

Cordelia Vorkosigan said, "The easiest way to tell what God means for you to do is to look at the talents He gave you to do it with." (Or something like that. It sounded better the way she said it, though.) Anyway, I thought that was a cool concept though it didn't help me to figure anything out. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Counterpoint (with a [Razz] ):

I'm Maxed Out on Maxims

quote:
Do I hear America groaning, or is it just me? Personally, I've had enough Motivation to last me several lifetimes. Not only am I unmotivated and unimproved by these aperçus, I am increasingly skeptical of the people who wield them. If someone begins a sentence, "I think it was Montaigne who said . . . ," I immediately think two things: 1) This person has read about as much Montaigne as I have, and 2) maybe he's confused Montaigne with Lee Iacocca.

If you have any doubt that we are facing a motivational epidemic, take a trip to your local gym. For me, the gym used to be a reliably disheartening place where I could gaze on bodies more supple and attractive than mine and feel an agreeable sense of slippage. No longer. The gym-cum-spa where I currently sweat has a habit of posting MQs in unavoidable places -- little drumbeats of sagacity, affixed over the water cooler. As if reading Abraham Maslow ("What a man can be, he must be") or Thomas Edison ("There's a way to do it better -- find it!") could make the treadmill any less Sisyphean. As though the pensées of Samuel Johnson ("Your aspirations are your possibilities") or Henry Ford ("Don't find a fault, find a remedy") form a kind of protein shake for the soul.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

quote:

"The easiest way to tell what God means for you to do is to look at the talents He gave you to do it with."

See, the thing is, is my talent is having absolutely NO talent. I can write the best of the worst poetry you have ever read, and I can make anyone look good at whatever it is they do. That and I'm really good at making friends, apparently. So there we have it. I can make you look good, so that way you like having me around.

Now, how to use that...

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
From the Onion (parental discretion is advised):

Pep Talk Laced With Personal Threats
SALT LAKE CITY, UT—Matthew Luskey's pep talk to Benjamin Lambert, who has struggled emotionally since a split with former girlfriend Ashley Huza, was laced with personal threats, sources reported Monday. "If you don't stop torturing yourself, I'm going to beat the living shit out of you," Luskey told Lambert. "Either you get up off of this couch and allow the healing process to begin, or I'll open up a wound so deep, it'll leave more than just an emotional scar." Luskey added that Lambert had better restore his sense of self-worth fast, if he values his life.

[ February 10, 2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought you were working on your Landmark post, as well.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
PS: I'd say about 60% of the American work force is totally and entirely untalented. You're just fulfilling this nation's proud heritage!
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Post on mafia! Don't get lynched!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Working on a landmark?

Depends on what you mean by working.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I thought you jumped to Anti-Chris because it was time for T_Smith to post a 7000 landmark. I don't see it yet!.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Well, something like that. T_Smith is at 7000 right now (CURSE YOU JON) but I just haven't really cared to write anything up. Not a traditional landmark. Too many of those for me. More like just an entertaining little fictional story. I was thinking about doing it on my Brown Jacket. Alas, motivation is sparse.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Mwahahaha!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That and I'm really good at making friends, apparently. So there we have it. I can make you look good, so that way you like having me around.

Now, how to use that...

[Angst] OMG, you're going to become a . . . a . . . politician, aren't you!?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
You should learn to use a cool new piece of software, like Maya or Photoshop or GarageBand or a video editing app. And then use it to make a cool song/image/animation/movie.

That's what I'd do, anyhow. [Smile]

Is there anything more fun and satisfying than learning to use an application?? [Cool]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Build something. It's very satisfying. I love building things. Especially the design part.

Oh, hey, Andrei and I have this idea to build a cat gym when he and Saudade come to visit next. The only part I see that would be difficult is applying the carpet around all the corners and shapes and stuff. I wonder how they manage that? I should go on a quest to all the pet stores and check out all the different designs to get ideas. Wouldn't it be cool to put downstairs in the office a gargantuan mother of all cat gyms? It makes me think of something out of Dr. Seuss or something. They'd love it!

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes Nathan in the eye*

how's that for motivation?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

No, not going to be a politician. Takes time, money, and a lot of fake smiles.

Unless I could be Mayor by announcing it, telling everyone off, and not spending a cent, then possibly I could be.

Ayelar, my computer is very very crappy. I used to have amapi on it, but do to memory reasons, it was deleted. To put it simply: 64 RAM and won't take anything else.

And what are you doing poking me in the eye?

[ February 10, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Anti-Chris ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes nathan*

Download gcc! Program!

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Link me.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

www.anti-chris.com
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Jon, I'm going to toliet paper your house. I have the address from the Weddening announcement. I'll contact them, ask for your address, and toliet paper it.

Or put peanut butter on your door.

Don't think I won't.

I'm bored and unmotivated, Jon.

ak
Member # 90

That's a good project to get the old motivational juices flowing! Roll Jon Boy's yard! [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://gcc.gnu.org

But you probably want: http://www.cygwin.com/ . Just download it, setup per instructions, and only install the packages you want (gcc-g++). It shouldn't be a very large install that way, probably only around ten or twenty megs.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ha! I don't even have a yard!
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lick a 9 volt battery. But don't get addicted.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.