FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want to be able clone AIM

Author Topic: I want to be able clone AIM
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently updated AIM to version 5.5 and lost the affects of DeadAIM. I have what must be the free version of the DeadAIM software as it worked without a requireing any kind of password or account, but when I updated AIM I lost the functions from DeadAIM such as automatic logging of conversations, tabbed windows (though I don't use that too much), and most importantly to me the ability to clone AIM and use more than one profile at a time.

I am considering actually paying for one of the messanger enhanceing systems, but don't know which to choose, DeadAIM, Trillian, and AIM+ all seem to promise pretty similiar features, and I'm sure there are other programs I don't know about which also do. So does anybody have any recomendations, or reasons why one prgram is better than the others?

[ February 10, 2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
GAIM and Trillian seem to the most popular choices around here.

I myself use Trillian, because I can connect to my AIM and ICQ accounts.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Trillian, mostly because I have accounts/business on all 5 of its supported chat platforms (AIM, YIM, MSN, IRC, and ICQ). However, I will say that using multiple accounts on Trillian is an absolute peach. I use Trill Pro (not difficult to acquire if you're not above a little piracy, or simply pay for it like people with money can do), which includes tabbing, multiple account support, logging/history, highlights, and much more. To my knowledge, the freeware version of Trillian offers all of those except highlighting.
Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Multiple user accounts (if two or more people use the same computer to use aim, with differnt AIM names), is completely borked in Trillian Free. It's there, but pretty boring (my girlfriend actually at one point got MY AIM contact list!).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

quote:
I use Trill Pro (not difficult to acquire if you're not above a little piracy, or simply pay for it like people with money can do)
Admittedly a friend helped me aquire Trillian free of charge, is getting it to work that I have yet to succeed at. [Blushing]

And while I'm not opposed to paying for the system, it is $25 and it doesn't how long that lasts (if you have to renew it, or pay monthly for it or something). I had forgotten entirely about GAIM, I'll have look into that.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought trillian pro and it's worth it for me, I seriously do not suggest GAIM because it's windows port sucks beyond all doubt. My problem with trillian is that it remanages my buddylists and screws them all up. But otherwise, I rather like it.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
If only there were some way to be a part of AIM without subscribing to AOL. Oh, well.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

I'm pretty sure I have never subscribed to AOL, and [Dont Know]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
You can, just go to the AOL site and download AIM.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you, thank you. now I can stop feeling like an outsider
[Kiss]

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
AIMutation doesn't work for AIM 5.5 yet, but it should soon.

http://www.aimutation.com/

I'm not sure that it would solve your problem exactly, as I've never tried it, but it is a nice little piece of software, and I believe it's free.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

well, I have GAIM now, and it is ok, but the logs are aonly veiwable through GAIM, and all the profiles on one computer have to have the same fonts, [Grumble] oh well, it will do for now, though AIMutation seems cool, and I think I would have bought DeadAIM if it worked with the new AIM, but this will do for now, thanks for advice everyone.

[Edit: Ok, the different profiles can be set to different fonts, I just hadn't figured out how yet [Blushing] ]

[ February 12, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Marek ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

So why not Trillian, the Free Version? It's log files are plain text files.

-Bok

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.