FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chronicles of Riddick

Author Topic: Chronicles of Riddick
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one that thinks the trailer looks absolutely fabulous?

The movie may or may not be any good, but the production design and cinematography we get in the brief trailer snippets are gorgeous. If the movie looks anything like that, it will at least be a beautifully shot movie.

I especially like the design of all the buildings, and the white cloak trailing flails that Judy Dench is wearing. It all almost gives me Dune-esque feeling.

I have to admit I am really looking forward to it.

[oops, got my maggie and my judy mixed up]

[ February 11, 2004, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
When I clicked on the link for that trailer (on the page you linked to) I got a Honda Ad, then it returned me to the linked page. No trailer for the movie. Just for kicks I tried the link for Cold Mountain to see if it did the same thing and it did. Pfoo!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer
IMDb

I admit it, I like Judi Dench. Although I'm kind of skeptical about what she can do in a movie with Vin Diesel. I've never really thought of her as the Action Movie type of gal.

You do have a point, though. The trailer does make the camerawork look really good. I'm not sure they could keep it up throughout the whole movie though.

[ February 11, 2004, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get an ad, just click on the x at the upper right to close it. That's it.

quote:
You do have a point, though. The trailer does make the camerawork look really good. I'm not sure they could keep it up throughout the whole movie though.
Why?
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Also, I don't see a single thing in that trailer that leads me to believe Judy Dench is playing an 'action' role.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
's looking pretty interesting. I'm generally up for anything with the word "chronicle" in the title, and I think this is one I will end up seeing sometime. I loved Judi Dench's coat,and while the plot might not feel terribly new, at least it looks like they've tried to make it a bit different.

(Oh, and did anyone else have a moment where they thought they saw Lara Croft in there?)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*falls over* a;lkdnlding....
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I have to disagree with all of the above. I just don't think it looks that hot.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*eyes Book. Twitch*
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Don't feel bad, pH. I don't think I have ever agreed with Book on anything. We can safely ignore him/her. [Smile]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look like my kind of movie, either...
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Yes, but most mom types are not the core audience for Sci Fi action epics. So that's ok.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did they need to use that Pitch Black character? It's like dropping Corporal Hicks from Aliens into Dune. I'm skeptical.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Slash: [Razz] [Taunt] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me about the story? Is it based on some good novel or anything? Who wrote it? Is it real Science Fiction? The trailer looked really cool to me.

[ February 11, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

They're using the same character because it's a continuation of the Pitch Black story! Because there's a lot more to Riddick's past/character than they could've fit into that movie, anyway. And because Vin Diesel rocks, and things will go boom.
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... I cannot wait for this movie. It has been four long years coming, and I intend to be there opening night. Pitch Black is one of the few movies that actually caused me to seek out others who liked it. My first foray into IRC was because of this movie. Many discussions were had in those first few months. Fun times and good friends met.

As for why they are using the Riddick character in this new movie, it's not just him that's making a reappearance. The characters of Imam and Jack (could be wrong about this one) are also involved in the movie.

David Towhy, the original director, directed and wrote this one .

For that LOTR connection, Karl Urban plays a character named Vaako.

http://thechroniclesofriddick.com/

Oh yes... ::thunk::thud::... Vin Diesel

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, I don't really even recall ever discussing anything with you... So I guess your statement is technically true. But "technically" is never a good modifier.

But I will have to check Pitch Black out. The intro to that website was much better done than the Riddick trailer, but I am by no means a hardcore sci fi fan...

[ February 11, 2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
::finds the edge of his seat::

::waits:

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Book, that was poorly worded. It should have said, "In reading the likes and dislikes that Book has posted, I find that our tastes never seem to be the same."

That would be more accurate. And, BTW, it is not an attack. I also don't agree with OSC on movies or music, and I respect the heck out of him.

OSC:
quote:
Country is the music at the heart of America
God, I sure hope the hell not.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to derail the thread much, but while I'm looking forward to Chronicles, I'm nearly dying of anticipation of The Day After Tomorrow. Maybe I just like seeing computer animations of famous landmarks getting destroyed, but I'm betting (hoping, wishing) there will be a decent story behind it. Independence Day was much much better than it could have been (well, than I expected at least), so I'm hoping the same will be true of this one.

While I don't mind that they are using the same character from Pitch Black, I hope they don't try to make him benign in Chronicles. Riddick was a bad, worthless, harmful person going into that movie. If he starts off as a relative good guy, they'd better offer me a good explination in the story why he isn't at the end.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Architraz. The thing that made Pitch Black so good was Riddick's growth; I don't see what else they can do with the character.

I expect Riddick in this movie to be just another hard-as-nails hero. *yawn*

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think the Riddick the Movie looks good, check out the game.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.