FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The South Is Cold

Author Topic: The South Is Cold
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I'd make a thread for all you Southerners to whine in. I saw on the weather channel that it's (gasp) almost below freezing in Texas, and there's snow on the ground in Nevada. So tell me what it's like in the south for all you folks who have trouble with the cold. Any stories about magical sliding cars? Anyone frozen into a block of ice? Lamenting your lack of jacket/winter gear? Or do you have some and it's just packed away in a difficult-to-get-to spot?

Also, it's 15 degrees here. And the snow is up to my knees.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It is pretty chilly here in Orlando today. It's only going to get up to 73 degrees this afternoon. [Angst] I had to get out my big jacket this morning.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So, as a result, the heater in my building is cranked up. [Frown] I'm too warm inside, and outside I can't feel the tip of my nose. </pout>
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
So I, as a resident of Nevada, am a Southerner?

*looks out window* Nope, there's no snow in Las Vegas today. It's a bit chilly, but that probably just means it's in the fifties and windy.

Now other parts of Nevada, further north, may have snow. But I don't think it's at all unusual for them.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wanna hear this crap. Get me something below 70 in Tucson and we'll talk about the south being cold.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
10* F this morning in Provo. My hands went numb gripping the steering wheel. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not whining; we might get snow tonight here in Austin. There's ice on the roofs and some on the ground, and it'll get colder tonight.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I've been unloading food into a walk-in freezer for much of the day. But that's probably not what you meant...

It's actually pretty mild for February at the moment; it hasn't snowed lately.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm whining, I'll admit it. Mostly I'm complaining about my annual plant killing ritual, though. I just know that I'm responsible for this record cold spell in Bryan/College Station. You see, I have this tradition of planting things too early. I always do it. I get a taste of Spring and start shoving twigs in the ground.

So last weekend I bought a fig tree and two olive trees. And I went ahead and planted them in ideal spots in my yard.

And then it got cold.

Then it got colder.

And now it is hovering right near freezing.

And I'll probably end up with three dead trees and nothing to show for it.

Crud. Once again, Bob is the killer of plants.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
We're due to get sleet/light snow tomorrow in Baton Rouge. I really hope it doesn't, I already hate driving in the rain...
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
We're expecting slur flowies, as my daughter calls them.

So, yeah it's frequin' cold. I actually had to put on shoes to check the mail, it has to be really cold for me not to walk to the mailbox barefoot.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually had to put on shoes to check the mail
Something about this just had me laughing...

Like "Dang, I had to wear shoes TWICE last week!!!!"

Reminded me a little of Tom Sawyer.

Thanks Belle. I needed a little cheering up.

<thinks to self -- must re-read Tom Sawyer>

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicoleValentine
Member # 6206

- posted      Profile for NicoleValentine   Email NicoleValentine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is pretty chilly here in Orlando today. It's only going to get up to 73 degrees this afternoon. I had to get out my big jacket this morning.
Same here, ZGator.
I think it's kind of windy in the early morning in Orlando, but that's about it. Though, my dorm room tends to get chilly [Taunt]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
It's frickin' cold in New Orleans, and last night it was raining, too. I haven't been outside yet today.

And Mardi Gras closed down all the malls. And most of the streets. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a big huge crazy snowball fight with lots of earshots around midnight last night. It was great snow, fat and thick and powdery, but it only snowed for about two hours or so.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Fig and olive trees, Bob? What, they didn't have any grape vines?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I'd say AZ counts as being in the south, and it's pretty nippy outside - 48*.

forecast!

Heck ya! 81* on Tuesday and Wednesday (too bad I sleep during the day now), and mid to upper 70's the rest of the time!

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to go snowboarding with a couple friends yesterday. They closed the lifts 'cause it was too windy. There was a hill open, but that was too icy to be worth the trouble it was walking up. They said at the top of the mountain, where the lift usually brings people, it was 60 below zero.

Anyway, we've basically decided we're going Sunrise instead of Snowbowl next time, as Sunrise usually has fresher powder, apparently. This was supposed to be my first time snowboarding.

It's actually been the nicest it's been in Prescott since early November or so. I've played tennis two days in a row without a jacket or sweat shirt.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
In Kentucky, it was 30 degrees outside and I was perfectly comfortable in a t-shirt and wet shoes (from falling into a creek). Now its...above that here in Louisiana, and I'm freezing! it's not the COLD it's the HUMIDITY!

So i'm whining-I hate the humidity. In the winter it makes everything colder and more miserable, and in the summer, it makes everything hotter and more miserable. I wanna go up north where its not humid!!!!!

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.