FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun with satellite photos :-)

Author Topic: Fun with satellite photos :-)
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
We had this a while ago, but since I am living in a completely new place, I thought I would do it again [Smile] .

The site I used is http://terraserver.microsoft.com, but there might be better ones out there.

Anyway, here is my place in NY. It's two houses, one which we used to rent out I moved into when I was 20 or so with my little brother, and the "Old house" was where my older brother Mick lived. The woods behind the property were extremely fun to play in, and served us well when we got to partying age [Smile] .

Now, 3000 or so miles west and south of there, is my new place in California. Notice the ocean is 3 blocks from me [Smile] . Mission Bay is four blocks south and just off screen. Great area in my opinion (though a bit noisy).

Post your own, that is if you don't fear stalking [Smile] .

[ February 14, 2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I come live with you? [Dont Know] I used to live in California and well, Nebraska has lost its charm.

[Grumble] Oh wait, it never had charm.

I want the beach!!!!

I will cook and clean for reduced rent!!

Please?

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Sure thing!

Edit: Ummm, there'll be sex right? And ironing my clothes? Either one and you're in.

[ February 14, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't find a similar program for Poland. [Frown]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Don't worry Kama, someday Poland will get a satellite.

Ahh, a Polish satellite. There's gotta be a joke about one of those somewhere [Wink] .

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm upset! I spent 30 minutes looking at this thing befor I realized the building I'm in wasn't built when those pictures were taken!

[Grumble]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really hard to do with rural properties, because it is hard to get Terraserver to narrow it down properly.

I had been on here before, though, and had it bookmarked, it turned out:

My Farm

from the center bottom arrow, mine in the square right above that, kinda.

The "description" at the top of the page is all funked up, though -- it says this is NE of Wichita, when truly it is NW.... (our government can't tell directions)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Heh, I think I flew over your house once. Or maybe one of the thousands that look like that [Smile] .

Cool. No one else wants to play [Frown] ?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Xavier,
You have to remember that most people, especially these young kids (and rightly so!) are afraid to put too much personal information on a public forum.

And a map to your house is about as personal as you get....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The "S" shaped building in the upper-right quandrant is my current apartment building. The whiteness of the roof belies it's cool, old-world style.

See the building with the four smoke stacks?My old house is just east across the street from it.

[ February 14, 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't where I live anymore, but I still think it's way cool.

Allow me to introduce... Dewey Circle.

And I'm pretty sure the white thing near the top that looks like a tongue ring is the water tower. Neat.

[Edit: My old house. Complete with car in the driveway, I think. Holy crap.]

[ February 14, 2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
The pic for my current place is 16 years old, but amazingly enough it's there. I'm in the northernmost Building.

Where I used to live. It's the house on the south side of the road just before the cul-de-sac bulbs out. It's kinda hard to see but it's L-shaped.

And here is where I lived when I was in grad school. I'm in the apartment building that's right on the inside of that 90-degree turn near the top of the photo.

Oh, have I told you I love that site. But it's not really that easy to navigate unless you have a good landmark to work off of. My old house was a pain in the butt to find since the area is so congested. Zoom out and you'll see what I mean.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
This aereal view was taken in 1994 and makes me sad because so much of that farmland is gone now, because it has been built up. [Frown]
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=15&x=46&y=591&z=11&w=1

Here's where I actually grew up. You can see exactly how far away I was from the beach when you zoom out!
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=1490&y=18941&z=11&w=1

To point out the exact house, I'll do my best. On the left side of the picture, there is a subdivision that makes four blocks of horizontal rectangles. We were on the top rectangle, one house to the left of the house in the upper right corner of that rectangle.

[ February 15, 2004, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Banna_Oj ]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

[Taunt] at Mack. Told you I grew up close to the ocean.

Now, to make you feel better, I'm much further away from any body of water. Lake Michigan takes quite a while to get to from here.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2081&y=23288&z=16&w=1

I'm not 100% sure which house is mine but it is on the northern edge of the long horizontal block towards the bottom of the picture.

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You have to remember that most people, especially these young kids (and rightly so!) are afraid to put too much personal information on a public forum.

And a map to your house is about as personal as you get....

Exactly. But this is fairly nearby. In fact, my building is almost-but-not-quite visible. I think. Hard to tell in a 10-year-old picture. [Dont Know]

[ February 15, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

psst Rivka, 1994 was only TEN years ago.

I need to figure out that thumbtack feature.

AJ

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, that thumbtack only appears if you do an advanced find. And it's not very accurate. I just tried my current address and in neither of the options it gave me did my apartment building even show up. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, AJ, of course it is.

O:)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is where I live, it is on the west side of Charlotte, NC. And here is a closer picture in color.

This is where I stay at school (N C State). And this is a color picture, it's Sullivan Hall.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

Farmgirl, I've always wondered, do you do circle farming? and what are the advantages? I figure it has something to do with the heavy machinery

AJ

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Farmgirl,
That looks like a place were Mel Gibson should be.

[URL=http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=10&lon=-81.7136685545485&lat=40.3491429619695&alon=-81.73824667&alat=40.34940143515&w=2&ref=A%7cSR-93%2c+Fresno%2c+OH+ 43824]my farm[/URL]No circles here.

The blackish rectangle thing in the upper left is a pond on our road. Our driveway is the white line that goes SE/E/SE from there. The barns and house are just past were the driveway bends...

Okay, Im avin serious trouble wit te link. And my wonderful keyboard. No, wit my ead, I guess. Ive tried to fix it. O, well, nevermind.

[ February 15, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Dead_Horse ]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The apartment in the exact [URL=http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=10&alon=-78.51643960&alat=38.04654083&w=1&ref=A%7cIvy+Dr%2c+Charlottesville%2c+VA+22903&Lon=-78.51609660533333&Lat=38. 0479784564]center[/URL] is my place at school in Charlottesville.

The apartment in the center here is our place in [URL=http://terraserver.microsoft.com/addressimage.aspx?t=1&s=10&alon=-77.20319913&alat=38.92553836&w=1&ref=A%7cAmbergate+Pl%2c+McLean%2c+VA+22102&Lon=-77.20319695479999&Lat=38.925 75901]McLean, VA[/URL], site of the raccoon attack.

Dagonee

[ February 15, 2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

AJ

Circle farming has nothing to do with heavy machinery, and EVERYTHING to do with irrigation.

The "circles" you all see from the air are in areas where farmers use 'pivot' irrigation -- that means they drop a water well in the center of the field, which pumps up to a rotating above-ground pipe-sprinkler system (I've never tried to describe it with words before). The system is on wheels and slowly rotates around the field, using the well site as pivot, much like you using a compass to draw a circle on paper.

The area of Kansas I'm in sits on a huge underground aquifer (less than 1% of the worlds water is from underground aquifers -- we are extremely blessed) so many farmers around here using irrigation of some type, due to our extremely hot summers, and the availability of water so close to the surface.

No, my farm does not have irrigation. At this point, we don't even have crops any more. Did all the time I was growing up, but we converted mostly back to grassland for cattle, except for one portion we use to grow feed for cattle.

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.