FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wedding Garder

Author Topic: Wedding Garder
Ronin
Member # 1749

- posted      Profile for Ronin           Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to someone about wedding traditions and stuff and we came to the subject of the garder.

I looked on everythin2.com and was unable to find any expination for this seemingly odd practice.

Im wondering where it comes from and its meaning. If I had to guess it would be symbolic of the husband taking his wifes virginity.

But I dont know.

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Garter.

Linky the first

Linky the second

Linky the third

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And there was I reading it as wedding gardner .

In which case this sentance

quote:
If I had to guess it would be symbolic of the husband taking his wifes virginity.

becomes very odd indeed.

[ February 16, 2004, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Then again, maybe it's just me..

I opened Rivka's linky the first and read
quote:
This was because it was felt dangerous for the Bride to count her chickens.
Cue instant mental picture of a woman in a white meringue dress standing in a chicken coop counting away...
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

O_o

You Aussies are weird.

You have a tradition of a wedding gardener??

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, I guess it depends how you define "bride" -- I wouldn't call her that solely on the actual wedding day. [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

Nope, I just though it was some crazy North American thing.

I mean, deep-fried turkey, wedding gardeners - where's the difference?

[Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, try deep-frying the gardener and see how that works out, ok?
imogen
Member # 5485

mm, wedding turkey
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was wedding guarder.

Like, in case the wedding was assaulted by blowgun wielding hottentots. Because that might happen.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
A wedding gardener might make sense, actually, if it's a Chicano wedding. To bring an element of Mexican-American life into the whole ceremony, and all.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does a wedding need a fruit picker?
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So they can make the fruitcake for the top level of cake. [Smile]

Note:
Traditionally the top of a multi-tiered cake will be made of fruit cake so that it would last long enough to be eaten on the first anniversary. ewwww

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.