FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Strange things kids stick up their noses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Strange things kids stick up their noses
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
A very, very small statue of Herbert Hoover.

I kid you not -- it was his dad's. On my docket for 1:30 this afternoon.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I once crammed a tart 'n tiny up my nose when I was a kid. The only way to get it out was to wait for the snot, due to my crying, to disolve the darn thing. My mom stilll laughes at the thought of the beautiful purple snot running down my face.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Where would you buy a statue of Herbert Hoover?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Somehow it reminds me of this guy.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Dammed if I know.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh. Anyone knows the only thing that belongs up a nose is a finger! Fingers are a good fit and they don't get stuck.

The finger/nostril fit is just one more piece of evidence pointing to intelligent design in the human animal. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of man once stuffed some styrofoam up his nose. Nobody noticed until days later when there was a disgusting smell coming from the boy that couldn't be washed off. His mother took him to the doctor and out came the rotting styrofoam. Yum!
Then there was my uncle who rammed a button up his nose and made sure it stayed there by packing in a wad of gum after it.
I learned from them, though. Nothing went up my nose but my fingers.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I put coins up my nose when I was a kid. I had a little trouble getting the quarter back out, but I managed it without letting my parents know what I'd done.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Dunno - although I have a sneaking suspicion some of the administration's economic advisors might have statues of him on their desks. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I once put a coffee bean up my nose. I swear it was an accident, but it smelled so good! Fortunately I was able to get it out by exhaling vigorously (before my mom noticed anything was wrong), but for a while I was afraid it was stuck. Must have been 9 or 10 years old at the time.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, it'll just be water under the bridge in another hour or so.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I never realized that styrofoam rots.

Once again, I have learned something at Hatrack and my life is richer because of it. Thanks BtL.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Question: should our fingers come with warning labels telling us not to put them in our nose after cutting and handling jalapenos?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My little sister (probably around age 3) once put a small toy up her nose (a little car, I think). Daddy was so VERY careful to not say anything to upset her and he kept her very calm and took her to the doctor ---

where the nurse prompted really lit into her and bereated her and made her cry -- which (of course) made her SNIFF it back up in there further! (the very thing he was working so hard to prevent from happening). He was so mad....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*groans* at CT...I wish I could say that was snot funny, but it was. I'm sure that the assurance that Hoover could be removed came as mucus...er, music to Dad's ear.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha!

That jalapeno story reminds me of a housemate I once had who handled a certain other sensitive area after cutting and handling jalapenos.

Serves the randy bastrad right [Razz]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Once, on TV, I saw a man snort a spaghetti noodle up his nose all the way. Then he blew it out to see if he could be the world's record for such a stunt. Ugh!

My husband was awed. [Angst]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Then there's the small entertainment niche carved out by those who hammer things up their noses. [Eek!]
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Popcicle, I had to let it disolve, quite chilly.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I have told this story before (I think I made a whole thread on it!), but my five year old stuck a popcorn kernel up his nose once. I plugged the other nostril and blew in his mouth, and POP! Out it came. I got this idea from someone on Hatrack, but damned if I know who it was. I think it was David Bowles.

*am also curious about where one would procure a tiny statue of Herbert Hoover--old school Homie?*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I've been googling around trying to find Herbert Hoover statues, and I haven't had any luck.
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, neat idea, jexx, I'll keep that in mind.

We were sitting in church, and DangerGirl was playing with a little eraser off the top of a pencil (it had a happy face on it). She tugged on my sleeve and whispered that it was in her nose. After a few panicked moments in the foyer, while I begged her not to cry or sniff, she sneezed it out.

We were about to leave on a week-long trip, and I swear the universe didn't want us to go. Everything went wrong.

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I weren't allowed to buy Tic-Tacs until we were about fourteen... Yes, both of us.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread was made for me.

When my mom meets my friends for the first time, she doesn't bring out baby pictures of me naked in the tub. She tells them about the time I got a Corn Nut stuck up my nose. The harder I tried to dig it out, the farther up it went. Of course we were in the car on a loooong road trip. The only solution was Plug 'n Blow.

What I wouldn't give for some naked baby pictures of myself to distract them with.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Where indeed would one get a Herbert Hoover Statue?

I'm going to get the Nixon one for the next time I have the urge to pick my nose. I'll let Dick Nixon do it instead!

[ February 19, 2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Next question:

WHY would anyone get a statue of Herbert Hoover?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob_Scopatz, you continue to amaze me.

Now I really want a Herbert Hoover statue.

Dan_raven, I think the answer you are seeking is: because it is fun to say "I have a tiny Herbert Hoover statue."

*grin*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about 3 or 4 I stuck a hot pink bead up my nose "to see if it would fit." Apparently it fit a little too well. [Blushing] I think my brother stuck something odd up his nose as well.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmoKid
Member # 6215

- posted      Profile for EmoKid           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother once got a vintage lead solider stuck up his nose. It left pencil marks...
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I stuck several Mardi Gras beads up my nose as a 3 yr old. I think I drove my parents nuts. I also got a fish bone caught in my uvula around the same time. Might as well have just hung out in the emergency room! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a lot of gauze stuck up my nose. This was post-op for a deviated septum "repair."

More like they BROKE the deviated septum, but who am I to quibble?

I would also say that I squeeled like a little girl when they took the 3 lbs of gauze out a week later, except that this would be an insult to the little girl in the next room who had HER gauze removed without a whimper!

[ February 19, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I stuck a sunflower seed up my nose, and I was at school. I was so embarrassed when I had to ask the parent helper who was there that day to help me get it out.

[Blushing]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtualron
Member # 6226

- posted      Profile for virtualron   Email virtualron         Edit/Delete Post 
when I was younger (much!), my cousin shoved about 10 Cocopuffs up his nose, one after the other.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all Hoover - He sucks.

Second of all - There is nothing worse than taking that gauze out. I swear I was in a chair on one end of the room and the doctor was out the door and still pulling (think pee-wee's big adveture pulling out the bicycle chain).

*shudders to think about it*

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had two kids stick things up their nose. The first one did not tell me (being like 2 at the time) but had a stink that bathing and toothbrushing did nothing to alleviate. Turns out that a little chunk of "eggshell" mattress fit perfectly in there.

quote:
I never realized that styrofoam rots.

I had never thought foam did either . . . I think it's the long suspension in mucus that does it. Someone should study this phenomenon! We may have the solution to non-biodegradable waste!

Not long ago, another came and 'fessed up to having put a small pom-pom (from older sib's craft kit) in.

In both cases, I followed the advice of a book (checked with the about-to-close pediatrician the first time). Pinching the non-affected nostril closed, place mouth over child's mouth and blow -- NOT too hard. After a blow or two, you get airborne, mucus-laden bit.

Quite lovely. [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of the little thin Battleship things, you know, the ones you use to mark where your ships have been hit, and put it up my nose. Then inhaled, accidentally, laughing.

Went right up into the part of my nose under the bones and all. They flushed it out or something at the hospital.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most interesting of the many things my brother stuck up his nose was hamster food pellets. They dissolved quite spectacularly.

I hate to say it, but at some point since my marriage, I put a bead in my ear. To see if it would fit. I may have been around 25 and serving in a Relief Society presidency at the time. [Blushing]

And I'm sure this thread was the stimulus for Xavier declaring that Hatrack is at peak quality.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
My brothers and I used to snort Pixie Stix.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
The proximity of this thread to the thread "Unpopular or unknown food items that are tasty" thread suddenly struck me as somewhat humorous.

I have had a long week. Obviously.

Sorry for interrupting.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
When I was young--about four of five--, I once put a wintergreen Tic-tac up my nose. I started screaming immediately because it burned me so. I was outside and I lived in a court at the time. All the parents came out of their houses and concernedly asked me what was wrong, and sure enough, there came along my grandmother, bobbypins in hand. She dug and dug, thinking I was choking and all I could say was: "It burns!" I was taken to the doctor who then simply sprayed saline solution up my nose which rapidly melted it. [Big Grin]

My parents kept a bottle of salt water in a squirtable water bottle in the refigerator for a few months after that... [Wink]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

You guys are great!

I'll never forget my gullible brother falling for my sister and me saying that he couldn't possibly shove a macaroni noodle up his nose.

[Big Grin]

Sadly, my mother hasn't forgotten - nor forgiven - yet, either! [Embarrassed]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother got a GI Joe gun stuck up his nose once, and my cousin got a cheese puff stuck in his. And the two of them have also sneezed corn and rice out their noses.

About two days ago I stuck some green pneumatic hosing up my nose. Got a few laughs, too.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

It's not the styrofoam that goes bad, it's the mucus it's infused with that becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and then starts to get rank.
Sorry to shatter the lovely dream that I created.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoover was actually the reason my Grandmother was a life-long Democrat.

But I don't think anyone in my family ever stuck him up their noses.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom tells me that I used to remove the noses from my stuffed animals and jam them into my nostrils.

Legos, too.

And peas.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go BtL. Now I'm going to have to learn two things today to make up for yesterday.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a student once who entertained other students by snorting one end of his chain necklace up his nose, and kind of hacking so it came down into his throat. Then, he would pull the other end out his mouth, so one end was dangling from his nose, and the other from his mouth.

Oh good heavens, I am so grossed out just writing it.

[ February 21, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi
Member # 5289

- posted      Profile for Hi           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that I have ever stuck in my nose when I was a kid was my finger.

*pause*

I guess that explains my frequent bouts of bloody noses back then too.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what an appetizing thread. [Angst]

Where's CT? I really want to hear about Hoover's extrication.

Can you believe with four kids no nose problems yet?

My sister in law has a story about having nose surgery, Bob. In her case it was a tumor that had to be removed from her nose (or a polyp maybe, not sure. Wasn't cancerous though) and they packed her nose and all that. She was an executive with BellSouth, she was in charge for implementing 911 programs in all the rural counties in the south (yes there were places without 911 service up until a couple years ago)

Anyway, she had a meeting a few days after the surgery with some people about the 911 expansion, bunch of suits even higher in the company than her, and her packing came out after she sneezed. So there she was, with a handful of....nose packing and stuff...and I can't even go on.

I can't imagine how she felt, that's got to be high on your list of things you don't want to happen when you're in an important meeting!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.