FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you Dixie or Yankee? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are you Dixie or Yankee?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce it "root" and I'm from CT. And there were a few ones where I say something different every time. The question they need to add:
What do you say:
Sprinkles
Jimmies
Shots
Other

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
51% Dixie.

I'm so proud.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you think of other colloquialisms that might be indicators of what area of the US you are from?

What about the thing you push your groceries around in?
a. shopping cart
b. buggy

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
86% (Dixie).

Pretty sweet. Me ma n pa would be happy to hear it, we're all from Louisiana. But I have zero accent.

I've heard really rural people in Texas call a pond a tank. What's up with that?

[ February 20, 2004, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
52% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
I guess this sort of makes sense. My dad's from Phoenix, my mom's from Keene New Hampshire. Actually, I would assume I'd be more Yankee, since Arizona isn't all that southern.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a room mate from Connecticut who pronounced aunt to rhyme with haunt. He also said "to mah toe" for 'tomayto'. I thought he was hillarious and he thought I was related to Jed Clampet.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
61% Dixie. I find this interesting. I don't stick to dialect, because I find it fun to pronounce words differently. If I like the way someone else pronounces a word, I'll do it. I say "Schedule" as if it starts with "sh". I say "Y'all" because it feels right.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
my score:

quote:
94% (Dixie). Is General Lee your father?
Some of you know why this is particularly fuuny to me.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Canadian with 53% Dixie. Though I did find that many of the questions I could have answered 1 of 2 ways with equal weight to the answers.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
This test seems to start with 100% Dixie and any neutral answers don't seem to affect that score. Only scores that are specifically Yankee seem to reduce the percentage.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Aunts are people you are related to... Ants are things you step on.

That should resolve the question of how to pronounce 'aunt'.

Coc, I would add:

c. Grocery cart

And for the Coca-Cola question, "tonic" should be a choice.

-Bok

EDIT: I will add, however, that pronouncing it "to-mah-to" is just plain weird, and in my opinion is a sign of moral defect [Smile]

[ February 20, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
55% Dixie. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
58% Dixie. I suppose you might think that my Virginian stepfather might have something to do with that, but a.) he didn't show up until I was in middle school and my pronunciation patterns were pretty well established, and b.) pretty much everyone in my part of Northern California speaks quite similarly to me.

quote:
I'm pretty sure I used "crayfish", "crawfish", and "crawdads" in the same conversation at one point in my life, much to the confusion of the silly Californians who had no idea what any of them were.
Just out of curiosity, Eddie, how many of these silly Californians were from the north of Santa Barbara?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
55% Dixie. Considering that, with the exception of the first two years of my life, I've lived almost entirely in the South, this is not too surprising.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
62% Dixie.

I was surprised to be told that "brew thru" and "roly poly" are southern.

BTW, in RI they say "bubbla" for a water fountain. I have a great comic book of Roe D'yelin pronunciation.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
63% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

I guess this makes sense. We Albertans are pretty much the Southerners of Canada.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Barely a Yankee! [Angst]

Yeah, I went to college in KY, but come on. Maybe it's cuz I'm so backwoods. Crap.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't have the firefly vs. lightning bug thing on there.

Another one I've heard is a good predictor of southernness is how you pronounce greasy. For southerners, the s has a z sound. The noun grease is pronounced with an s sound, but the verb grease has the z, along with the adjective greasy. So if you grease your car with grease and get all greasy, it's z, s, z. Is it true that everyone not from the south uses the s sound in all of the above?

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
50 per cent Yankee.

Interesting. My mother is an Okie but came to California at age 9, and my father was born in Germany but raised from the age of 2 and a half in California. I grew up in California, and as a child I was around my father's family much more than I was my mother's. I would have thought I would have come out much more Yankee. Hmmmmm.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm... a Canadian who is a Dixie. Me wonders about this test
*looks at my own score* 65% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!...*also wonders about the test*
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Cain't fool me. Bunch of Confederates in the Attic is what y'all are. [Wink]
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki   Email Julian Delphiki         Edit/Delete Post 
36% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

Born and raised in Chicago, but have been going to school in FL for the past 4 years. Good to know it hasn't affected me too much.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
41% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
66% Dixie. Australia, the other Southern State....

(Though the roly poly bug is a slater. It wasn't an available answer.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen, y'all have those too? Cool!

Oh yeah, Australia is very southern! [Smile] I actually think California is too! The people are so friendly there and nice. It really feels like home. I think maybe it has to do with having clement weather. People from those places with such harsh weather can't help but pick up a little of that attitude from the elements there. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
So Yankees aren't friendly and nice? I like to think that I'm friendly and nice, and according to this quiz, I'm a Yankee.

Of course, this quiz isn't really comprehensive enough to tell you if you're from the South. Lots of the "Southern" answers apply to people out west, too. And apparently, they even apply to Canadians and Australians.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
70% Dixie

Look away! Look away!

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
68% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!
Okay.

ak, I use the S sound in all three instances you describe.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
72% (Dixie).
Well, I am a born and bred Southerner and proud of it. Southern England, that is.

I think I've spent too much time in Florida.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
47% Yankee, South Florida is transplanted northeast.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StigLarson
Member # 5579

- posted      Profile for StigLarson           Edit/Delete Post 
70% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

I am English and got this response. What does it mean?????

[ February 21, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: StigLarson ]

Posts: 85 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
55% Dixie. o_O
Wow Mack, that's worse than mine!

I got
quote:
50% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.
and I've lived in NH my entire life... [Dont Know]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay screechowl. I'm rural Kansan!

here's what I got:

quote:
54% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
Couple of them I actually had to make myself say outloud to think of how I say them! <HA>

Farmgirl

edit: oh! but I change my answers a couple of times when I thought about it -- now I see it says to NOT change -- maybe mine is messed up.

[ February 23, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

A number of faculty members, almost all native, small town Kansans, were in the 52-65% Dixie range.

I know I am the only one in the school who says Root instead of ROUT and Roof instead of RUFF.

Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 63 percent Dixie, but Mischief Night lowered my Southerness.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
35% Yankee. Wow, I've out-Yankeed all of Hatrack. Must have something to do with the whole Bubbler thing...

Edit: What kind of places have DRIVE-THRU liquor stores, anyway!?

[ February 23, 2004, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
76% Dixie. egads!
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

Edit: What kind of places have DRIVE-THRU liquor stores, anyway!?

Texas, of course, for one.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally took it and got 91%.

Seems odd there are people on this board that scored as higher southerners than me! [Angst]

I took the dialect survey, so I recognized most of the questions. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.