FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Give it up for lent (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Give it up for lent
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Lent is fast aproaching (I think), and I'm just wondering what people are giving up, or planning to give up for it, if anything.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

I'm personally considering giving up AIM and Hatrack, then two days later when I fail that I'm going to give up shaveing in an attepmt to be less vain (or grow a beard).
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I had this image of a Talk Show Host saying, "Lets give it up for... Lent!" and lots of clapping, with a guy called "Lent" coming up on stage.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Often it's harder to commit to a good act for all of lent instead of giving something up.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*snerks at that image*
I am a heathen, so, nothing.
but if i could give up something it would be watching television! But, that won't work because I hate watching msot television...
If i had to give up music for however long Lent lasts... I'd die.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Television, and my music. (i will not tune into music or play my cds. but im sure restaraunts will still play music and whatnot)

[ February 21, 2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
giving up music would make me convulse and twitch on the floor
maybe i'd give up...
hmmm...
books
my eyes need a rest anyway

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Often it's harder to commit to a good act for all of lent instead of giving something up.
I wonder how many people recognize the seriousness of this statement.

And no matter how much people may water it down, the concept of Lent is impressive and humbling on a spiritual level even to me, and I have no stake at all in the faith (no, I was never Catholic) or any others.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not giving anything up. Nor am I intending to commit any more good acts than I'm commiting now.

This is so much a question of tradition rather than faith over here, that it's almost funny. You get drunk on Tuesday before the Lent starts. You go to church on Wednesday, hang-over, to get your forehead marked with ash. You don't eat meat on Fridays. You don't dance, but you can get dead drunk.

The concept of Lent would be much more humbling and impressive, if it was something you do, not because you should, and because it's the tradition, and because it's this time of the year again, and people talk about it, and the priest tells you that in his sermon, but because you *feel* it's right.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The concept of Lent would be much more humbling and impressive, if it was something you do, not because you should, and because it's the tradition, and because it's this time of the year again, and people talk about it, and the priest tells you that in his sermon, but because you *feel* it's right.
How can you tell the one type of participant from the other by observation? Maybe there are a lot more people doing something for Lent for heartfelt reasons than you think.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, I gave up giving things up for Lent, and I've stuck to it ever since.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

quote:
Or maybe it would seem to mean much more if Catholics didn't let other denominations know of their practices? Didn't let them in the churches?

I agree that it's all about how and why the person is observing it, but the concept itself is what I find incredibly impressive, and no amount of human hypocrisy—which happens in all faiths—is going to change my admiration of the concept of it.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bad with dates. So I started Lent a week ago.

I'm going ultra-LDS this year: No beer and no soda (wine and hard liquor don't count since I got ruined on hard liquor in college, and my stomach doesn't handle wine all that well).

I am also going to give up snacks (though up to now I'm having a hard time of it currently).

I participate in Lent _precisely_ because of the tradition and the symbolism involved. It's about as close as I can get to the example of Jesus. It's a way to be constantly reminded. It's what people have done for generations, and it's constructive.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really understand Lent, but I think it's an interesting and I'd like to know more about it. I tried to give up more than one hour of Hatrack per day for New Year's. A couple of days ago I thought I would give up the more contentious threads. I guess I need to repent and re-commit to that. But that was supposed to be just a general giving up, and not a Lenten offering.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
How can you tell the one type of participant from the other by observation?
Because if you come to church hung-over and smelly, I don't believe you want to really change something in your life.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Dude, Leto, Catholics just know how to keep a secret without anyone knowing there is a secret. Why exactly do you think you've never heard of [ edited for your safety by Vatican police ]?
John L
Member # 6005

No, I knew about [ edited by Vatican police ], but I had also heard about [ edited by Vatican police ] and was told me where I'll find the answer.

By the way, where is "purgatory?" I heard it might be in New York.

[ February 21, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: John L ]

Kama
Member # 3022

No, it's actually right behind that bar just around the corner.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on giving up... um... school! Yeah, I will give up school, because I um... um... enjoy it so much! Yeah!
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will start running five days a week again during lent. Every winter I seem to quit working out much, and I have to start again each spring. I don't know why I can't manage to maintain a good workout program in the wintertime. I guess I usually get sick or something and that stops me, then I'm too depressed to get started back until the sun starts to come out more often.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think I'll give up caffeine for lent.

So forgive me in advance if I'm cranky.

Alright, crankier, dammit!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

It's weird, I guess it's because my dad was previously a Catholic, but I always thought Lent was a normal thing... Maybe my church is even more old-fashioned than I thought. *shrug* My mom, a dyed-in-the-wool Congregationalist, had no problems with it, and acted on it as if she always had.

Huh.

I've only been successful once; I gave up all chocolate one year in high school. I would have been successful last year, but I drank one soda [Frown]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Lent is a big scam. Its only purpose is to facilitate fund raising for fire halls. Either that or fire halls are part of the catholic church. The part where they moved their bars to, although they kept the gambling in house.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*sigh*
Marek
Member # 5404

Theoretically I only have today and tomarrow left on hatrack until whenever lent ends, but since I almost never go a day without at least checking the last few posts on a couple threads, I probably will have to come up with something else to give up, and I guess I can't give up shaveing for lent since I haven't shaved in a month already. Maype I can try doing something good instead of giving something up [Dont Know] .
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Dagonee, I give up caffeine every year for Lent...mainly because it's a real sacrifice for me, because I'm so addicted. Plus, not including the first week of intense headaches and biting people's faces off, I feel better and healthier. The trouble is avoiding it, because it's in every tasty thing. Coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, hot cocoa, etc. It's going to be tough!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Lent:

Lent has become a popular event around the world because its seen by many people as a test of personal will and self control.

Its New Years resolutions, with an end date.

But to understand its true signifigance, its true meaning, you have to realize a deeper meaning to Lent.

You are not supposed to be giving up caffeine because its good for you. You are not supposed to be giving up TV because you really should.

What you are supposed to do is give up something you find enjoyable, not forever, but until Easter, to show God that you are willing to sacrifice for him. (or her.)

If you fail, if you eat meat on Friday or watch that last episode of Friends, or sneak back here on Hatrack, you are not just letting yourself down. You haven't just failed in your own self control. You have failled in your promise to God.

Luckilly, God is very forgiving.

However, when you make a vow for Lent, and you are tempted to break it, maybe you should take a moment and ask God what to do. Even better, instead of deciding what you need to give up or pass up, or do for Lent, maybe you should ask God's advice as well.

I took a lot of religious courses when I was in College. I was impressed with one aspect of Islam--its emphasis on sacrifice to God. The Pillars of Faith are not meant to be laws that define who goes to heaven and who doesn't. They are signs of the believers willingness to follow God, and sacrifice whatever is neccesary to do so.

I found their similarity to Lent very interesting.

My Catholic friends thought I was nuts.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former Baha'i, I find people who think giving something up for Lent is a sacrifice to be a little amusing. [Smile] Try Ramadan, people. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Good post, Dan [Smile]
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Every year I tried to give up school for Lent. My parents wouldn't let me. [Frown]

Then last year rather than giving something up, I decided to start doing something that would make a good habit. I drank a glass of water every day.

But I haven't really thought about what to do this year.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Tom, can you give a description of what celebrating Ramadan is like? I'm only vaguely familiar with the customs from a friend of mine.

Dagonee

Bokonon
Member # 480

Ramadan is a complete fast (food, drink, sex, and likely other actions) for a month, during the daylight hours.

You can eat after sunset or before sunrise, but that's it.

It is an admirable endeavor!

-Bok

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Are there any restrictions during non-daylight hours?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few, depending on how strictly Muslim you are; as with most religions, different sects practice different specifics.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I would imagine Ramadan is a lot "easier" to celebrate in countries with significant Muslim populations where society in general will alter itself to accomodate the tradition.

It must be really hard in more secular societies.

Dagonee

TomDavidson
Member # 124

In the same way that it's easier to be Catholic in a region that has a traditional Friday Fish Fry at every restaurant (and Filet o'Fish, for the rest), I'd imagine that it's easier to celebrate any tradition when everyone around you is also celebrating; ask a Mormon in Utah, for example.

[ February 23, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought the LDS concept of fasting was similar to the idea behind observation of Lent. Of course, Mormons only have to give up food and water for 24 hours rather than 40 days, but the principles behind the practices are similar.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My Libyan Arabic professor said some folks make up for the daylight hours and then some- kind of Mardi Gras every night for a month.

He told this other funny story- some go by actually seeing the moon at the beginning and end of the month, others go by a calendar. A group of guys claimed they could see the slightest sliver of moon and broke Ramadan early. There was in inquiry and it turned out they had opted out of military service due to poor eyesight. Well, I don't know if it ended with them being drafted or having to start Ramadan over or something. They way he told the story it was much funnier.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several people in my company who participate in Ramadan. They aren't in my department, but I believe the company makes some concessions for them.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You are not supposed to be giving up caffeine because its good for you. You are not supposed to be giving up TV because you really should.
I agree about the real reason for giving something up for Lent. But if you're sacrificing something, why not pick something that offers many benefits?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm giving up caffeine because it's a real sacrifice for me.

I'll have headaches for a week or so because I am denying myself a luxery I have allowed myself to get hooked on. It will serve as a reminder that there are people out there who suffer physically because they cannot get necessities of life.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
In the same way that it's easier to be Catholic in a region that has a traditional Friday Fish Fry at every restaurant (and Filet o'Fish, for the rest), I'd imagine that it's easier to celebrate any tradition when everyone around you is also celebrating; ask a Mormon in Utah, for example.
Gotta love 2 Fish Filet for two dollars [Smile] .
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm giving up the Pirate Costume.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried fasting, when I was in intercessory prayer for someone. I felt very, very bad when I ate - but I did so not because of will power but because of medication. [Frown] My combination morning drug regimen does not lend itself to fasting, I get violently nauseous.

I continued in prayer, of course. But I wonder, should I have stopped taking my medication? Moot point, because at that time I'd already taken it. But, if I felt the need to fast and pray for someone again, do you think I should forego my meds? I'm wondering what others who practice fasting might think. I'm new to the concept.

They are hormone replacement therapy, anti-depressants, and ADD medication, by the way.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, have you discussed fasting and/or omitting your meds with both your doctor and whoever you go to for religious guidance? (pastor? I get the different terms confused, sorry)

I know that is what I would (and have) done in similar situations. Your physical health is important too. [Smile] Also, one -- or both -- may have some helpful suggestions.

[ February 23, 2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured taking important medications was more important and that if you ate/drank as little as possible then that would just have to do. Take the ADD med, for example. Skip that and you won't be able to pray well, anyway, right? Nothing bad will happen if you skip the hormones but hot flashes could certainly make praying harder. Many diabetics cannot just fast without talking it over with their doctor, and taking the medicine or not, while fasting, is aseparate issue that needs to be discussed also. Illness, or prevention of illness ought to come first, I would think. I've never had a patient who checked with their religious leader ever come back and tell me they were advised to skip meds.

Although I DID have one patient who really needed blood tests who would not allow blood work during the month of Ramadan. Drawing blood was not allowed under any circumstance, she said. And when I was a resident in Indianapolis there was some minister who worked with some of the homeless shelters who told all of his followers to stop taking ALL their meds, because meds were evil. Now, when all those people started going to the ER with chest pain, strokes,and diabetic complications I was ready to wring his neck. He really cost the healthcare system a lot of time and money, not to mention causing a few heart attacks and a stroke or two.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ask my therapist tomorrow, she also has a degree in theology and doubles as a therapist/religious advisor. And, I'll ask my pastor on Wednesday.

Maybe crackers and water right when I take the meds and nothing else all day? I think God is pretty understanding in these types of things. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you have all your bases covered. [Wink]

quote:
I think God is pretty understanding in these types of things.
[Smile] I agree.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree that God is pretty understanding in these things.
I also agree. Each person is different, so there isn't one blanket fasting rule that applies. Mormons tend to try for 24 hours and/or two full meals without food or drink, but anyone with medical reason to do otherwise should just do what they can. For example, if my job requires lots of physical activity (I'm an actor) and I have a rehearsal or performance during a fasting period, I will drink water.

The most important thing is sacrifice, which I gather is also the purpose of Lent.

p.s. Since LDS people fast once a month for two meals, they also donate the money they would have spent on the meals to a fund earmarked to help feed and clothe less fortunate people in the US and the world. I think this is a great idea for everyone, regardless of religious affiliation.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Hey, Tom, that remark about Lent was really rude. Same with yours, Luthe—seriously uncalled for.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.